Parachute Panic, by FDG Entertainment, $.99

Pros:
    • Fun graphics and sounds
    • Addicting game play

Cons:
    • I found it got pretty difficult rather quickly

Parachute Panic is a new game by FDG Entertainment. The game play is simply, you have to successfully land parachuting people onto the boats below, while avoiding obstacles like alien ships, helicopters, and rain clouds. As you successfully land parachuting people, the levels get more and more difficult.

The first thing I want to say about this game is I love the graphics and sounds. No, this isnt cutting edge 3D graphics, but it is great to see a game that makes use of the iPhone in a fun, whimsical way. The graphics all look like pencil drawings on a graph paper background perfect for this kind of game. I would much prefer to see something like this rather than a bad attempt to make realistic graphics or something. The sound is also great pay attention when loading the game. Lots of the background music is what appears to be an a capella group singing aspects of the game. I especially like when the game is over.

Playing the game itself is very straightforward. A plane flies by overhead, people jump out. Either their parachute opens automatically, or you have to open it to save them from falling. You can control their falling to some degree by swiping your finger (as wind) but once they jump, they are coming down. As they come down, they have to avoid aliens (trying to abduct them), helicopters (chopping them up) and storm clouds (electrocuting them). As they reach the bottom, you need to direct them (via wind) to land of the deck of a ship. If you dont, they might end up in the water and get eaten by a shark. Very simple to learn, difficult to master.

I dont know if it is me, but I did find this game seemed to get very difficult very quickly. Now, I dont want a game where you can cake-walk through and it doesnt present a challenge. But neither do I want a game where it becomes almost impossible after one level. This game isnt as bad as that, but I did find that after a couple levels the difficulty seemed to increase exponentially. Maybe I just didnt practice enough, or I havent found the technique to make it more successful.

All in all, this is a fun game, one that I think can be played over and over again. The graphics and sound are a fresh change, and it sticks with KISS (Keep it simple stupid) as a game-plan, which works very well. It is currently on sale for $.99, listed as 75% off, so give it a shot and tell me what you think. Four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
    ** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
    *** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
    **** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
    ***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.
    06-09-2009 12:00 PM
    For 99 cents, I will gladly give it a try. I like how you can get games for so much less on the iPhone than on the Blackberry.
    06-09-2009 01:15 PM
    Personally I didn't really like the game. I thought it was unique, but like you said, it gets hard rather fast. I soon just lost interest
    06-10-2009 02:12 AM
    the graphics and animations are awesome..
    06-14-2009 07:05 PM
    Looks decent, but I think I'll be passing on this one.

Good review though
    09-26-2009 02:02 PM
    I didnt find that one very enjoyable but thats just me
    Parachute Panic, by FDG Entertainment, $.99

Pros:
    • Fun graphics and sounds
    • Addicting game play

Cons:
    • I found it got pretty difficult rather quickly

Parachute Panic is a new game by FDG Entertainment. The game play is simply, you have to successfully land parachuting people onto the boats below, while avoiding obstacles like alien ships, helicopters, and rain clouds. As you successfully land parachuting people, the levels get more and more difficult.

The first thing I want to say about this game is I love the graphics and sounds. No, this isnt cutting edge 3D graphics, but it is great to see a game that makes use of the iPhone in a fun, whimsical way. The graphics all look like pencil drawings on a graph paper background perfect for this kind of game. I would much prefer to see something like this rather than a bad attempt to make realistic graphics or something. The sound is also great pay attention when loading the game. Lots of the background music is what appears to be an a capella group singing aspects of the game. I especially like when the game is over.

Playing the game itself is very straightforward. A plane flies by overhead, people jump out. Either their parachute opens automatically, or you have to open it to save them from falling. You can control their falling to some degree by swiping your finger (as wind) but once they jump, they are coming down. As they come down, they have to avoid aliens (trying to abduct them), helicopters (chopping them up) and storm clouds (electrocuting them). As they reach the bottom, you need to direct them (via wind) to land of the deck of a ship. If you dont, they might end up in the water and get eaten by a shark. Very simple to learn, difficult to master.

I dont know if it is me, but I did find this game seemed to get very difficult very quickly. Now, I dont want a game where you can cake-walk through and it doesnt present a challenge. But neither do I want a game where it becomes almost impossible after one level. This game isnt as bad as that, but I did find that after a couple levels the difficulty seemed to increase exponentially. Maybe I just didnt practice enough, or I havent found the technique to make it more successful.

All in all, this is a fun game, one that I think can be played over and over again. The graphics and sound are a fresh change, and it sticks with KISS (Keep it simple stupid) as a game-plan, which works very well. It is currently on sale for $.99, listed as 75% off, so give it a shot and tell me what you think. Four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
    ** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
    *** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
    **** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
    ***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.
    09-26-2009 02:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD