Visit site
Spheric, by Attila Jenei, $1.99

Pros:
  • Unique game board
  • Interesting game concept
Cons:
  • Game play was?stiff
  • Concept did not translate well

This game is an interesting idea ? you have a circular game board, and drop marbles in trying to match four in a row (holding the iPhone flat). Rather than making lines in a vertical tower, you manipulate the game board by tilting the iPhone ? the marbles then roll around accordingly within the game board.

The theory is great?unfortunately, in practice is doesn?t translate that well. My hunch is that the problems are programming in nature. The balls simple don?t behave as if they are really being affected by gravity. They almost seem to ?stick? to each other and completely ignore real physics and gravity. For example, I was able to stack 5 balls directly on top of each other, forming a small ?tower? of circular balls. Could I do this in real life? I think not. Because of this, when you are moving the iPhone around, the balls don?t behave as you would expect them to, meaning any strategy you have may not work out.

If you can get the hang of the game, you then try to complete a specific number of matches to progress from level to level. Honestly, I can?t tell you much about the higher levels ? the lack of ?real physics? in the game made it too difficult to play, IMO. The graphics themselves are nice and clean ? the spheres look nice, but the biggest issue goes back to the game play. Because of this, any positives of the game were masked.

All in all, this is a good concept that needs more work. The game?s physics don?t work well in conjunction with the games goals. Currently at $1.99, I would hold off on purchasing until there is an update that improves the balls response to gravity and more realistic physics. Two and a half out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods