View Poll Results: Should Apple Of Approved The Spoof App.

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

6 42.86%
  • No

8 57.14%
    After 194 Days of waiting Apple rejected the spoof app.
    This is what apple said.
    "We've reviewed SpoofApp and determined that we cannot post this version of your iPhone application to the App Store at this time because it allows users to anonymously make calls and/or wrongly identifies the caller ID of the phone (known as Caller ID spoofing). We have chosen to not publish this type of application to the App Store." - iPhone Developer Program

Spoof is a program were you can call someone from any number you want and spoof was making a iPhone app and apple rejected it.

For more info on spoofing please go to SpoofCard - Fake Caller ID
    Last edited by Tramain; 05-24-2009 at 10:01 AM.
    05-24-2009 09:55 AM
    This sucks!

Is there a free Spoof app on Cydia?
    05-24-2009 10:34 AM
    For a change I agree with Apple. It's beyond childish.
    05-24-2009 12:05 PM
    Yes, I think Apple should've rejected it. Making your number appear as private is fine, but having your number show up as a different one?... that's wrong. I'd be so pissed if someone was using this to do malicious things and MY number was the one that showed up on the receiver's caller ID.
    05-24-2009 12:23 PM
    If you go to spoofcard.com I think it shows something about cydia. And I agree with apple with rejecting it.
    05-24-2009 01:27 PM
    Should be OUR choice!
    Thanks apple for being the dictator that you are!!
    05-24-2009 06:41 PM
    This is an AT&T issue, too. I could see them getting sued if this was used/approved.
    05-25-2009 10:29 AM
    I agree... even though I use the app myself. My reason is sometimes I rather my work number be shown rather than my personal cell.
    05-25-2009 12:52 PM
    And we would all rather someone else's number show up when we phone in those ransom demands or terrorist threats, right?

No, the misuse of this kind of app simply far outweighs the few legitimate uses.
    05-25-2009 02:13 PM
    Once Apple decided they would control what apps get released for the iPhone, they became legally responsible for those apps. I.e., being sued by Cartier over the fake Cartier watch app and removing it.

Understand that -- and the ridiculously litigious nature of the times -- and you understand 90% of Apple's rejection policies. (The rest, I'm convinced, are magic 8-balls at work...)
    05-25-2009 03:01 PM
    But a traditional 1960's era Magic 8-ball, or an iMagic 8-ball?
    05-25-2009 04:23 PM
    The app can still be used on the iPhone through jailbreaking or dialing in.
    05-25-2009 05:04 PM
    And Apple would have zero liability if a jailbreaker or some other unsupported activity led to something actionable. Likely why their cat always hedges in the game against the mouse
    05-25-2009 09:30 PM
    I agree with Rene. This would open a huge legal issue for Apple / iPhone carriers.
    05-26-2009 01:12 PM
    Actually I need to add I have had an app in review for over a month now..VERY aggrivating. It was a 3D simulation of the rescue of Captain Philips... So who knows what and where gets rejected but at least they told them. =)
    05-26-2009 03:30 PM
    Can a mod close? SpoofCard iPhone app has just been approved iTunes Store
    09-22-2009 02:56 PM
    There is no beneficial use of this app, and considering the consequences of malicious call spoofing, not only should it have been rejected but it should be illegal!

What are the consequences, you ask? Here is an excerpt of a news article from one (of MANY) instances in which spoofing was used.

Prank 911 Calls Send SWAT Teams to Unsuspecting Homes
    Monday, February 02, 2009
    PrintShareThis
    Doug Bates and his wife, Stacey, were in bed around 10 p.m., their 2-year-old daughters asleep in a nearby room. Suddenly they were shaken awake by the wail of police sirens and the rumble of a helicopter above their suburban Southern California home. A criminal must be on the loose, they thought.

Doug Bates got up to lock the doors and grabbed a knife. A beam from a flashlight hit him. He peeked into the backyard. A swarm of police, assault rifles drawn, ordered him out of the house. Bates emerged, frightened and with the knife in his hand, as his wife frantically dialed 911. They were handcuffed and ordered to the ground while officers stormed the house.

The scene of mayhem and carnage the officers expected was nowhere to be found. Neither the Bateses nor the officers knew that they were pawns in a dangerous game being played 1,200 miles away by a teenager bent on terrifying a random family of strangers.

They were victims of a new kind of telephone fraud that exploits a weakness in the way the 911 system handles calls from Internet-based phone services. The attacks called "swatting" because armed police SWAT teams usually respond are virtually unstoppable, and an Associated Press investigation found that budget-strapped 911 centers are essentially defenseless without an overhaul of their computer systems........
    Link for full article: Prank 911 Calls Send SWAT Teams to Unsuspecting Homes - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com
    09-22-2009 03:12 PM
    I agree with this 100%. They have this app for Blackberry and my brother scared my mother half to death with it.

How'd it get approved? Wow.
    I wonder what change they made.
    09-22-2009 03:48 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD