Review: Voice Transformer

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Transformers....robots in disguise! Well, at least your voice in disguise.

Voice Transformer is a...well...a voice transformer. It allows you to make a recording, and then transform it using a number of styles and modulators.

This app is extremely simple to use. When you start, you select "create new FX". Then you choose what transformations you want - echo, bass, helium, robot, monster, etc. They even have a cool one that I like - reverse. With some of the effects, you can choose how much of an effect you want - like with helium you can choose how high your voice is. The opposite with bass. With echo, you choose how much reverb there is. Other effects don't have any ability to modify the options (like reverse) because it is simply performing a fixed modification on the recorder. You can choose one or many effects for any given recording.

Once you finish your selects, you then start to record. The record screen is a little simplistic - at times I had a hard time telling when I hit the record button due to the fact there is no response (button turning a color or something) and there was a little bit of a lag. But once you start recording, you get a volume meter to indicate how loud your voice is (too loud and it just messes everything up).

Make your recording, then you can finish. If you like it, you can save it. If not, you can redo the recording (starting over from selecting the effects). Unfortunately, there is no way to modify recording AFTER they are finished (you can't add or remove effects). If it is particularly good, you can choose to email it to someone. The file arrives in a "caf" format, and I had no idea what that was. A little research told me that it is a MAC only format, so people with PC's are out of luck. It would be nice to convert the sound into a more universal format (MP3, for example).

You can listen to any saved recordings from the beginning by choosing "saved FX" instead of "create new FX".

The voice effects are fun - my daughter especially loved playing with the bass and helium ones. It is fun to try to mix and match effects to go for a specific sound - like combining bass and echo to try for Darth Vader (Luke, I am your father!). I also like the reverse one. I try to figure out what a sentence will sound like reversed, say it that way with the reverse filter on, and then see how close I am to having the sentence be accurate. It's sort of fun.

But then again, I am a little bit of a nerd.

Pros: Fun to play about with the recordings, nice adjustments for some of the effects, can combine effects for more fun

Cons: Email format is only for Macs, a little bit of a lag sometimes when recording which can result in hitting the button twice if you don't think you hit it the first time

All in all, this is a fun little app that could be fun for passing the time, in groups (especially drunk, most likely!), and for kids. I do wish they had a different save format, and a little more detail when recording would be nice (especially to indicate when the recording starts so I don't hit the button more then once and end up with a recording that is 0.1 seconds - but that might be due to a little lag in the app), but overall the app isn't bad. It is $1.99, so the price isn't too high if you want to play around with it. I would hope in the future they might come out with a few more effects, or maybe some preset "cool" combinations. Four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods