Action Lists: a GTD-style Todo App for the iPhone

ceperry

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Action Lists (app store link: itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=313122962&mt=8) is a new task manager for the iPhone and iPod Touch based on the Getting Things Done (GTD) system popularized by David Allen. Action Lists harnesses the power of the GTD system with an easy to use interface that makes it fast to access the information you need when you need it. If you're not already familiar with the Getting Things Done system, you can check out the Getting Things Done Wikipedia article (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Getting_Things_Done) for a quick primer.

Action Lists is an app that was designed to be used on the go. Lots of little details help users "get things done." For example, the tab bar at the bottom of the screen contains all of your essential GTD lists and makes it convenient to access them without having to navigate back to a "root" screen to switch lists. Also, the context lists (or "action lists") filter the tasks that are displayed so that only tasks with a status of "Next Action" appear. This keeps you from staring at a host of Someday/Maybe tasks when you're hunting for something to work on in the five minutes before a meeting.

Action Lists has all the features you'd expect from a fully featured todo app including support for due dates, future tasks (set through a task's start date), repeating tasks, and task notes, but it's the details that make this an app worth using. Scheduling repeating tasks is flexible: tasks can be set to repeat every Monday, the last Tuesday of every month, or every three months. Never forget trash day or that furnace filter again! Of special note is the way that Action Lists handles future tasks. By default, a task is hidden if it has a start date in the future. That's great until the start date is reached. Most todo apps would silently slip the task into the appropriate list when its due to be started, but then the task is easy to miss. Action Lists allows the user to specify that tasks be placed in the inbox when their start date is reached. This increases the visibility of tasks that are due to be started, and is consistent with the "tickler file" described in Getting Things Done.

Having your tasks always with you on your iPhone is great, but sometimes its nice to enter your tasks using a full keyboard and a computer. Since Action Lists will synchronize over the air with your Toodledo account, that's not a problem. (Registration for a Toodledo account is free!) Through Toodledo, the tasks that you enter into Action Lists can be viewed, modified, completed and shared with others. And tasks that are entered into Toodledo through it's web interface (or through its connection with Jott) can be synchronized back to Action Lists so that they are always at your fingertips, whether in a business meeting with an Internet connection, or on a flight with your device in Airplane Mode.

All in all, Action lists is a great app if Getting Things Done is your todo system of choice. Action Lists is available for download on the App Store at a price of $9.99. If you would like to try before you buy, there's also a free version called Action Lists Lite (app store link: itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=313124092&mt=8). Action Lists Lite has all the features of the full version, but is limited to only 15 tasks. For full details and support, visit the homepage of Daze End Software (surf to: software.dazeend.org).

Sorry about all the uncoded links above. I don't have enough posts here, yet. If you have any questions about Action Lists, you can post them on the forums at Daze End Software (software.dazeend.org), or you can post them in this thread. Thanks.

yildi

Nov 20, 2008
Visit site
I do not know if I will let myself be tempted by it, even if it looks quite nice. For only a few more bucks, I have bought Pocket Informant and the integration of the tasks in the agenda is a luxury that I had to sacrifice while migrating from Windows Mobile to iPhone and I am quite happy now to benefit again from this possibility on the iPhone, thanks to Pocket Informant. I think that the agenda game has sligthly changed after the introduction of this program in the Appstore (can you hear it Apple? :) ). FYI: I do not have any financial or other kind of interest in WebIs. I am just grateful to them for this innovative software that has solved an important problem with the professional use of iPhone for me (Calendar+ToDo+GTD).

Regards,

Murat

Murat

ceperry

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Action Lists 1.0.1 in App Store

Action Lists version 1.0.1 is now available in the App Store. New in version 1.0.1:

• A few bug fixes, including one that prevented synchronization with Toodledo when an Email Login or Password with special characters was used.
  • A new checkbox for repeating tasks. This makes it easier to recognize repeating tasks on sight.

ceperry

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Action Lists 1.1.0 now in the App Store

The best GTD tool for the iPhone just got better. Action Lists version 1.1.0 is now available in the App Store. Version 1.1.0 is a major update including:

- Subproject support with unlimited nesting of subprojects.

- Landscape mode supported, including larger landscape mode keyboard.

- By popular demand, the task limit for Action Lists Lite is increased to 15 tasks to allow for more thorough testing.

- Task lists display the due date of overdue tasks in red for easier identification.

- Show Future Tasks setting is now individually definable for each tab.

- Added option to "gray out" future tasks so that they can be distinguished on sight from current tasks.

- Lots of usability improvements and bug fixes.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods