Skype! (Sorry Canada)

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
The first thing I did this morning when I got up was check the app store for Skype, and there it was, in all its light blue glory. I haven't had a chance to test it out yet (work always gets in the way) but it's just so cool to finally have it. Has anyone else grabbed it yet, and tried calls with it (wi-fi only, of course)?

Also, sorry to Canada. Rene had mentioned on twitter that it's a no-go there. But who knows? Maybe it's all for the best?...

I know we've technically had VoIP on the iPhone for a while now, but Skype is sort of like the 800-lb gorilla of VoIP, right? Does this change the face of iPhone use in a major way or is it just another cool communication app?

rapidblue

Sep 13, 2008
Visit site
Downloaded my version this morning too :D
Yip, wifi only but that's expected.
Made a call - quality was pretty good - impressed :D
Also like the fact that I can access all my Skype "features" like checking my balance etc...

sethclifford

Sep 25, 2006
about.me
dizzy - are you running 3.0? It was rumored that 3G calls were possible over OS 3.0, but I haven't tried it on my testing phone yet.

jay0heavenly

Mar 30, 2009
Visit site
not yet... I tried to add it to my plist and it doesn't work yet. Something about the mobilesubstrate issue which prevents that so far.

So far, only the 3.0 folks can use it over 3G and I suspect that will be disabled in the very near future.