Telenav GPS Speaks...(kind of)....

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
The official word from Telenav, a popular GPS seen on many mobile phones:

The iPhone 3.0 OS and What it Means for TeleNav | TeleNav® Blog - Navigating Life

In other news: Sygic is awaiting official word from Apple, no word/news from either TomTom or Garmin (yet), and G-Map is still stuck in App. Store limbo.

RE: the latter, I think developers are carefully taking their time (longer than usual) since the announcement of 3.0. Apple's giving them more freedom to do voice/fully-featured navigation (among other things) now, so they understandably want to take their time and get it right.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Well, here's the count so far:

The official word from Magellan, TomTom, and Garmin: none of them have any applications that are currently made for the iphone. Not to say that they won't ever develop one, but as of now, they're not even in the picture (though it is still early) - none of them really offered any more information other than "we don't currently offer any apps for the iphone."

The most likely GPS apps to first hit the App Store around the time of 3.0/summer time are IMO, Telenav and Sygic. Sygic is still waiting to hear approval from Apple and Telenav (rumored to be developing their iphone app since last year) has stated that they're ready to review the 3.0 guidelines as soon as they become available.

Until that time, the best non-jail broken option for TBT GPS (for now) for the iphone is G-Map East/West which just returned to the App Store yesterday (?) with all new upgrades: http://forum.theiphoneblog.com/iphone-apps-games/169796-review-g-map-east-west-tbt-gps-app.html

Last edited:

Voltaic Shock

Sep 16, 2008
Visit site
I really hope they have a "lite/demo" version of these GPS apps. I would hate to pay for one and not like it.

This was the nice thing about the BB. I could try out different GPS apps until I found one that I liked.

natanavra

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
There should be a free GPS app!! Instead of going to Cydia like based apps, which are unreliable, I hope there will be a free app!!

anthonyy

May 1, 2009
Visit site
I really enjoy telenav's service. My entire family has had Telenav for the past 2-3 years, and will never switch. I don?t recall the exact price of the service back then, but they do give the first month free. Now I?m paying around 40 bucks a month for the four of us, which in my opinion is a great deal. I think that they now have some sort of free trial going on, where if you don't like their service you can cancel anytime.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2