i searched this forum, and i couldn't find any info, and also searched google. anyone know if there will be a google mail app for the iphone/ipod? it's needed, and i don't like having to log into safari to look at my email.
    is there a way to set up the mail app, so i can have google mail, along with my regular mail?
    im not a novice, but im not a power user, hence these questions...
    03-21-2009 08:29 AM
    Apple hasn't thus far allowed 3rd party mail applications, including Gmail clients, into the App Store.

I believe iPhone 3.0 SDK will allow for the embedding of Mail (like it allows Safari to be embedded already), so maybe that will change things?

However, most of us want Push Gmail, which would require more than just a Gmail app (even with Push Notification Service), but likely some hard work on both Google and Apple's end to integrate it into the built-in options.

I know many would like a separate app, like the Android G1. I'm not a fan of that idea. I want all my mail in one place. So Push Gmail added to the existing Mail app, with all accounts getting stars/flags would be just fine for me.
    03-21-2009 09:32 AM
    Mail.app works very well with Gmail. Why not use that?
    03-21-2009 04:31 PM
    Apple hasn't thus far allowed 3rd party mail applications, including Gmail clients, into the App Store.

I believe iPhone 3.0 SDK will allow for the embedding of Mail (like it allows Safari to be embedded already), so maybe that will change things?

However, most of us want Push Gmail, which would require more than just a Gmail app (even with Push Notification Service), but likely some hard work on both Google and Apple's end to integrate it into the built-in options.

I know many would like a separate app, like the Android G1. I'm not a fan of that idea. I want all my mail in one place. So Push Gmail added to the existing Mail app, with all accounts getting stars/flags would be just fine for me.

Exactly... I like it the way it is. All it needs is push Gmail. Honestly, I think Google knows this and doesn't want to lose any market share. It obviously possible as it's on the g1. @ Google
    03-22-2009 09:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD