Review: LightBike

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
LightBike is the Tron game in your hands. You control one light cycle, creating a wall of light as you drive. Goal: Try to avoid the walls from other players (and your own) while getting the other players to crash!

It's Tron come to life!

LightBike is a fun, fast paced light-cycle game that has nice 3-d graphics to give you the feel of being "in" the game. The rules are simple - you compete against three other players and try to survive while getting them to crash! The winner is the first one to win three matches.

You have the option of playing against the CPU, against another player in head to head mode (using a split screen), or over a wifi LAN with 1 to 3 other players. I really like the inclusion of the multiplayer aspect - internet play is said to be coming as well.

When you play, the controls are very easy - tap either side of the screen to turn that direction, tap the center for a turbo speed burst. The tapping came make head to head mode difficult, as both people are trying to tap the iPhone and jiggling it around, but it can work well if you have it flat on a table.

The graphics are nice - the 3D aspect to the game really adds something. Rather than go for completely realistic graphics, the developers went for a nice 3D look to the bikes and playing field. It makes it much more difficult that a top down view because you can have a difficult time seeing what it happening on the sides. You can also have difficulty judging the distance for specific walls.

There are a plethora of options to modify as well, including a timer (so that a match can end in a draw if both bikes are still alive), how many battles there are, size of the playing field, etc. Unfortunately, you can't adjust the speed of the bikes - this would be a nice feature to include for younger or beginning players, and advanced players could really rev up their bike speeds. (Instead, difficulty is based on the size of the playing field). The options that you can change are really what make this game cool - that combined with the multiplayer mode.

Pros: Good graphics, fun game, easy to play

Cons: No speed controls, difficult to play in head to head mode, can't choose how many opponents

All in all, this is a fun game that would be fun with lotso f people over a wifi connection. Even by yourself it can be entertaining. The ability to modify a wide range of settings is very nice, although bike speed control would be nice as well. It would also be nice to be able to choose between 1 and 3 opponents, instad of always having 3. However, the game is still lots of fun, and at $2.99 the price isn't bad. Because of some of the issues, however, I only give it four out of five stars.

PS - I tried to take a picture while playing the game, but it didn't seem to work. Also, when I was riding around, if I moved my fingers to snap the camera, I would almost right away.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Update - there may be a difference between the difficulty setting (which you choose when you start) and the field size.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal