Review: Quick Memo

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Quick Memo is designed to be a tool for jotting down a quick idea, or "quick memo". It is not for taking long, detailed memos. Instead, it is for when you just have a phrase or sentence that you want to write down - a quick reminder.

The Quick Memo interface is clean and simple. One note, it only works in landscape mode, which caught me by surprise. Landscape mode is nice, but I want to have the option of using either modes.

When you start the program, you are presented with a screen that lists you memos by date. To scroll through the memos, you can either scroll manually (swipe the screen) or you can use the "play" and "reverse" buttons at the top. The app indicates you can save up to 3000 memos, so scrolling may be critical. Unfortunately there is no other way to sort or search memos. You can't categorize them (and then sort by category), you can't search for keywords, so the method to find a memo is somewhat limited.

On the screen, you can check off a memo (presumably to indicate it is completed?) but checking it off doesn't do anything other than make a check mark appear.

To write a memo, you can simply tap the "write memo" button - you are presented with a one line screen to write your memo. The edit button on the main screen allows you to delete memos - you can't edit them after they are written (a major drawback which is supposed to be fixed in the next version).

You do have the option to email memos - but the email is not very intuitive. Instead of choosing individual memos to email, you choose a date range, and automatically email all the memos in that date range. When you type the email address, it doesn't look through your contact book so you need to type it in completely yourself. Finally, when you hit the "send email" button - rather than sending it, the app takes you to the email application, where you then need to send the email (and you can edit the email, email addresses, etc at that point). The email function is a nice way to export some or all of your memos, but the functionality seems to be very limited beyond that.

The settings you can choose from include entering the "write mode" at startup, turning autocorrection on or off, and deleting old memos when you reach 3000. You can also choose to delete all memos from the settings page.

Pros: Nice interface, easy way to write down a short note

Cons: Features seem half-hearted and not fully implemented

All in all, I like the idea of Quick Memo - being able to just write down a quick note, note a detailed memo. But in practice, I found this app lacking. Lack of a sort feature, lack of an ability to edit memos, a lack-luster email option - the all contributed to an overall poor impression of the app. Unless the app focuses of improving ways for quick entry and using the short memos, there is no real reason to purchase this app over using some other note app (and simply writing a short memo in that). The price isn't bad ($.99), and if you find yourself wanting to write down short memos all day, the app might be useful. But until some of the problems are addressed, I only give this app two out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW