COOL. Competetion is good. And both products look great. I can't wait to try them out.

One question for me is whether Apple allows the mapping apps to run in the background? What happens when I get a phone call or I want to check my calendar???? I have to close the app and then wait a minute for the app to re-acquire my location?
    06-11-2009 12:49 PM
    @hotrod,

Good questions. No one knows the answers yet. I'm sure the first 3 out (TomTom, Navigon, an G-Map) will reveal/give demonstrations of how they'll handle multi-tasking.
    06-11-2009 12:57 PM
    COOL. Competetion is good. And both products look great. I can't wait to try them out.

One question for me is whether Apple allows the mapping apps to run in the background? What happens when I get a phone call or I want to check my calendar???? I have to close the app and then wait a minute for the app to re-acquire my location?
    That is how G-Map works now and I don't see any background/multi-tasking. Apple has said over and over how it isn't something the iphone does well.
    06-12-2009 08:00 AM
    Another concern not really just of mapping but the iPhone itself. Now if I use the iPhone as my sole gps unit, how will I save transfer my favorite locations when I have upgrade the OS or restore the phone.

But that is not really a gps problem, it is an iPhone problem, but as I start to converge more and more devices, I'm loosing more and more data backup. Man, I wish there was a 3rd party iphone backup tool to backup application data.
    06-12-2009 09:13 AM

I got a call the other night while using Gmaps, the second the call was over it started right up in a couple seconds.

I can also verify that it works while listening to music, I'm playing music from my phone right now while using Gmaps, I assume TomTom and Navigon will work the same.
    06-12-2009 09:56 AM
    Just got a reply from G-Map.

Their representative said that the updated 3.0 version of G-Map should launch "within a week hopefully earlier than Navigon."

For half the USA, the app runs for $24.99. So for a little over $50, you get the entire country. It'll be interesting to see how the other GPS apps will price themselves...either very competitively (in comparison to G-Map) or higher.
    06-15-2009 06:09 AM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD