Intro:
    In the past few weeks I have been testing 7 ToDo applications Things, Appigo's ToDo, Toodledo, Done, Zenbe Lists, Ultimate ToDos, and Firetask.
    I kept restrictions of the SDK in mind, meaning if the SDK doesn't allow it and the app doesn't have that ability, it's not seen as a negative. For instance, people in the AppStore tend to rate negatively because some apps do not have reminders, well Apple's SDK prevents developers from allowing this.

Note: Some of the Normal quality video files are quite large and may take some time to load

Overall I found it quite difficult to compare each of them, so rather I reviewed them on an individual bases. They all have the advantages and disadvantages and personally I don;t think there is one that has everything. Really where one app leaves something out, another app has.

Personally I wanted the following in my ToDo app:
    • Sync (not at additional cost)
    • Sleek/non-confusing interface
    • sub-tasks
    • due-date
    • priority

When I first began looking at the applications, I was confused by how they operated. I come from a long line of palm devices and I was used to writing the ToDo down, categorizing it, prioritizing it, setting a due date if necessary and then checking it off when I was done with it. I wasn't used to all the terms Inbox or Hotlist. Some of the apps follow the GTD layout (Getting Things Done layout.) Toodledo has a good write up on the topic and I recommend you take a look at it before purchasing a Todo application that uses that type of layout. Frankly, I suggest reading it in conjunction with this round robin. I will refer to it a few times, but I will write as if you know what GTD is.

Rank in AppStore (as of 2-6-08)
    (All Paid Apps, via most popular)

1. Things
    2. Todo
    3. Toodledo
    4. Zenbe Lists
    5. Ultimate Todos
    6. Done
    7. Firetask

Let's get to the point. How do these rank in my opinion?
    (Titles below are hyper linked to each correlating post below for easy navigation)

1. Todo
    2. Things
    3. Toodledo
    4. Done
    5. Ultimate Todos
    6. Firetask
    7. Zenbe Lists

The one that comes closest to the above criteria is Appigo's Todo, then in second is Culture Code's Things I really wish I could mix Things simplicity and projects with Todo's ability to have Toodledo syncing, multiple customization options and quick task inputting.

While this is my personal opinion, you might find a better app suited for you. In the following posts, I will try to describe the best Todo application suited for certain people. I have separated each app into a different post.
    Last edited by msbaylor; 02-27-2009 at 03:30 AM.
    02-19-2009 05:42 AM
    Appigo's Todo App
    $9.99

4.5/5

Video:
    Normal Version | Mobile Version

Pros:
    -Quick entry
    -Optional sync on start-up
    -Can set tasks as repeatable
    -Change type of Todo to make task easier.
    -Sync with Toodledo, iCal (via Appigo's software,) or Remember the Milk.

Cons:
    -Can't add new task from any screen
    -Can only filter lists by one context at a time.
    -Cannot look-up email address when adding an email in the type of task
    -No project type tasks/ sub-tasks
    -'Feels' cluttered when viewing tasks

Appigo's is one of the top three Todo application at the current time of this review. The application offers numerous options to its users while offering a good solid todo application. The applications also follows the GTD concept and layout, but can be modified to your needs if you wish.

*Note: When I refer to the main screen I am referring to the screen titled Lists as that is the top most screen you can be at.

One of the first things I noticed was that when you open the application it syncs with Toodledo (if & after you set it up) I thought this was nice as it constantly keeps my ToDo's up to date. I however, soon realized this wasn't the greatest thing as you cannot open the application and quickly enter a new task, instead you have to wait for it to finish syncing before you can add a new task and the time span for me is about 11 seconds for it to sync over the Edge connection for about 13 tasks. Which can be a major turn off if you are in a hurry. This of course can be turned off so that you can manually sync whenever you want there is is a sync button that can be tapped on the main screen for easily syncing when you want to (I recommend the manual sync).

From the main screen you can view All your tasks, your Focus list, and your Inbox list. You also have the option of viewing the tasks by the lists they are in, some examples are Home, Personal, School, etc.

At the bottom of the main screen you have the Sync icon, the @ icon which stands for the the Contexts screen. There you can edit and filter via the contexts. Only one context filter can be viewed at a time.
    The third icon is a Tag Icon and allows you to filter your tasks by selecting one or multiple tags. There is also a text box at the top for easy addition of a new tag.
    The fourth icon is a Magnifying Glass which allows you to enter keywords to search for a task. A really nice feature for someone that has a lot of Todo's.
    The last and fifth icon are a set of Gears and links to the settings screen. Here you can choose whether or not to view Completed tasks, edit the default sorting, change general settings such as the app badge, list filters, and new task defaults. You can also adjust how the focus list appears and how you wish to sync and with what service (Appigo's software, Toodledo, or Remember the Milk.) Under the settings screen you can also view some general information about your device and the app.

On the main screen (lists) by tapping the + icon adds a new list not a new task. To enter a new task you have to be in one of the list views. Of you exit the application while in one of the lists, you place will be remembered. So you will not necessarily start in the same place each time.

Each of the lists looks the same as the other as far as the buttons go at the top and at the bottom of the screen as well as the format.

The tasks are automatically sorted by your predefined sorting option (as set in the app settings,) which, for me is set by Priority then Due Date. At the top right hand corner you have two buttons the first allows you to quickly enter a new task in-line of viewing your tasks. It only allows you to enter the title and then is stored in your default list (for me, it's my Inbox list.) the right button allows you to add a new task with more options (for when you have more time in adding a task.) You type in the title and then th change the type is you wish - Normal, Call a Contact, Email a Contact, Visit a Location, or Visit a Website.
    Depending on which type of ToDo you pick, the new task input screen will change.

For a Normal ToDo (my default and I also don't edit the type) I then tap done and I am taken to another screen that allows my to edit the due date, due time, whether to make it repeatable, set the priority, what list it appears in, its context, its tags, and any notes I wish to add to it. Tap save ad your done.

Now I am going to go through the other types of tasks and what their advantage of using them.

If you select Call a Contact you will be asked whether it is an Existing Contact, New Contact, or you can manually enter a phone number. Existing contact obviously allows you to select from your address book, new contact adds a new contact and enter a phone number...well you probably guessed it, you enter the phone number. Depending on which one you select, the app will automatically put the text into the task title for you exe. Call CONTACT NAME or Call 123-4567. Tap save and you can edit the rest of the info as usual.

If you select Email a Contact you can choose whether you select an existing Contact's email address, create a new contact, or to enter the Email address. Once you select you selection, the application will automatically place Email EMAIL ADDRESS or Email CONTACT NAME. Then you can enter the rest of the task details as normal.

If you select Visit a Location, again, you can choose Existing Contact, New Contact, Enter an Address or use Current Location. Again after selecting the appropriate place, the app will automatically enter the task into the box - Visit CONTACT NAME/PLACE, Visit ADDRESS, or Visit LATITUDE, LONGITUDE.

If you select Visit a website you'll be asked to type in the URL. I was surprised that you could not lookup a URL from a contact in your address book. This would be a nice feature to have. Again the app will insert into the task title - Visit URL.

Each task type has it's advantage. Using the Call a Contact type you have the ability to call the contact straight from the application. If you use the Email a Contact you will exit the app and enter the mail.app with the email automatically inserted into the To: blank. If you use the Visit a Location task type, you will leave the app and enter the map.app with the address or coordinates you entered. And lastly the visit a website... you probably guessed it....you leave the app to be in the Safari app with the address you entered previously. Or if you want to keep it simple, stick with the normal type.

After you have created the tasks, if you type on the colored icon, you will be able to call the contact, email the contact, visit a location, or visit a website.

An issue I noticed when selecting an e-mail address in the task type you cannot select/look-up an e-mail address from your exchange network (if you use the exchange network). You however, can choose from one of your groups, if you have created email groups.

In the settings tab, you can set the default list to where you want new tasks to be placed in. Unless you of course change it while editing the task itself.

I think that this would be a great app for anyone that really like to customize how their app looks and doesn't have a real need for using "projects" (while there is somewhat of a work around). The app also allows for quick entry and is highly recommended if you need an app to quickly enter a task into and add the details later.
    Last edited by msbaylor; 03-01-2010 at 02:29 AM.
    02-19-2009 05:49 AM
    Cultured Code's Things App
    $9.99

4/5

Video:

Pros:
    -Simplicity at its best
    -Quick addition of tasks if in a hurry
    -Sleek animations add to user experience
    -Projects/sub-tasks

Cons:
    -Expensive desktop client - If you want to sync with software, it's another $50
    -Does not support repeating tasks
    -No option to control what the app badge stands for.
    -No windows sync

Things app developed by Cultured Code is the most popular Todo application in the iTunes AppStore, at least at the time of this review. Things' sleekness and ease of use is really what make this app popular. While this application is quite a bit higher in price ($9.99), it also has a desktop client that can be used in conjunction with it. However, you'll have to drop another $10 and Windows users need not apply (no Windows sync client,) if you want this feature.

Things uses a very simple layout that is very easy for anybody to jump in and use.

From the home screen you have several different viewing option and at the bottom, the + adds a new task and the gear-icon changes the settings.

So on the main screen, you have the Inbox, this is where all you tasks go if they is no list associated with it (see GTD article for more info.) Mainly the Inbox is like the initial step in creating your tasks. They all go there to be sorted. If your in a hurry and you want to edit more details to it later, leave it in your Inbox until later.

Also on the home screen you can view your tasks via the lists Today, Next, Scheduled, & Someday. All of these lists can be added to a task while editing it.
    Today, obviously means that the task is to be done for that current day.
    The Next view lists your tasks in the order that they are due next.
    Scheduled lists you tasks in the order they are scheduled to appear as a current todo.
    And Someday lists your tasks that you plan on completing 'someday' or in other words, they do not have any sort of date associated with them.

Also you can view your tasks via the Projects view. The projects view is probably my favorite feature about this application. You basically have a project and several sub-tasks to complete the project. Due dates can be set for both the tasks and the project.

In viewing the Today list, it displays all the tasks that you have labeled today, the checkbox next to the task is also yellow to signify this. However, if it is overdue, it is red and this also goes for any tasks in the other lists. The tasks that aren't due yet, list their due date next to the task (if you have set one.)
    By tapping on any of the tasks, you can view any of it's details and have the option to edit/add/remove tags, notes, and/or a due date. Again the tags basically allow you to sort certain tasks within each list by the tags you select. Another way to look at tags, is that they could be considered as sub-categories.
    At the bottom of the screen, you have a toolbar. The + adds a new task into the current list; the star turns the check boxes into stars and when tapped on they go gray which basically means you have removed it from your today list and moves it to your Inbox. The arrow, when tapped turns all the check boxes to the left of the tasks to blue arrows which basically allows you to move tasks by tapping on the blue arrow. The last icon, the tag icon allows you to sort the current list by a tag you select.

The Next list view is quite like the Today list view, but displays your tasks in the order they are scheduled to appear (basically this allows you to keep out certain task that you don't need to do right away, but have scheduled to do at a later date). The 'next' one due at the top and so forth. A gray header separates projects in the list. Again at the bottom of the screen you have a toolbar. The icons that are in the 'today' list view are the same here, with the addition of a clock icon, which allows you to sort your tasks by their next due dates.

The scheduled list view, lists all your tasks in the order you have them scheduled. Of course, if the tasks are in the future, you cannot check them off; however, you can move them to a different list by tapping on the arrow icon in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen. The toolbar also contains icons to add a new task and sort by tags.

The Someday list, lists all your tasks that do not have a date scheduled with them. The toolbar is the same as the scheduled list view.

The projects list view is a completely different thing in itself. After tapping on projects, all you projects will be listed; for instance I have - Write Review.

This is my project, if you tap on the blue arrow next to the project title, you can edit its details including its due date. If you tap on the project tile, you can view the tasks that are needed to complete the project. By tapping on the tasks you can edit them by tapping on the check boxes, you check the tasks off. If you tap the check box next to the project, it will clarify that you want to check-off all the tasks withing the project. The tool bar in the project list view is the same as in the Today list view. If you decide to select a project to be put in the Today list (by tapping on the star,) it will list all the tasks in the project in the Today list view. Or you can also select only certain tasks within the project that you want to be listed in the Today list. It will also show you the association with which project the task is associated with (in gray.)

Finally the logbook, logs (lists) all your completed tasks which can be logged when the app starts or at the beginning on the day when you start the app (can be configured via in-app settings.)

The number that is next to the list displays the number of tasks that need to be completed in that list. If the number is red, that means that you have one of more tasks in that list that are due today or overdue.

If you need support through the Cultured Code website, they have had a recent influx of emails so it might take up to a week for them to respond to your e-mail until they get caught up. So if you don't get a response within about 2 business days, I would resend your support question with your original support number.

The small animations that Things utilities makes the app sleek and simple without getting in the way, but at a price of nearly $10 and the inability to sync (for the $10), I can't say this is the greatest Todo application. I would prefer to simply have a web sync if nothing else. Secondly I'd like to see them develop a Windows client as I would assume many users do not have a Mac computer. If you don't mind forking over the $49.95 (US) for the desktop client, (which offers many more features than the iPhone app) then, this might be a good application for you.

I think this application would be good for a business person, such as Real Estate Agent, that likes the simplicity of creating task, projects and due dates and having the ability to view their todo's on their desktop.
    Last edited by msbaylor; 02-21-2009 at 10:17 PM.
    02-19-2009 05:52 AM
    Toodledo App
    $1.99

4/5

Video:

Pros:
    -Large amount of customization
    -Uses GTD scheme
    -Sync with web
    -Utilizes app badge
    -Internal help/documentation
    -Sub-tasks
    -Large number of sorting/viewing options

Cons:
    -Cannot create goals during the creation of a new task
    -Not able to add a list to the home screen for quick viewing.
    -No images in documentation for guidance clarity
    -Must tap Done on keyboard to advance to next field during new task field entry.

Toodledo was the first ToDo application I tried as it was the cheapest ($1.99). In the application, when you create a New Task, you input the Task, Priority, Star (somewhat like flagging an e-mail), Folder placement (kind of like a category,) Goal, Due date, Repeat (have the task repeat,) tags (this helps when you apply filters to sort certain tasks,) and finally you can add a note to the task.

On the main home screen, you can view All Tasks, view your Hotlist, and your Starred task lists.
    Your Hotlist can list certain tasks that you filter into it that can be adjusted in the settings tab.
    Your Starred list, lists tasks that you have starred.

You can also view your folder, which as I described above is somewhat like categories. For instance I have Home, Important, Personal, Work. You can also view tasks that are in any of the folders or that are in none of the folders.

On the home screen you can also view your tasks by the task goal. Basically what this is, is a way of adding a final goal that the task is associated with, such as Sell House and possibly one of the tasks is Call Real Estate agent. Another way to look at this is as a Main Task that contains numerous Sub tasks. To create a goal, you must go to the Goal screen and create a new goal. You cannot create a new goal while creating a new task (however, it would be nice to have this feature.)

Another way to view your tasks is by their due date Overdue, Today, Tomorrow, Next 7 Days, Next 30 Days, Any due-date, or no due-date

How about viewing your task by their Priority? Yep, you can do that too Top, High, Medium, Low & Negative Priority.

Remember the tags you can add to each task, yep, you can also sort by certain tags

Now within each of these viewing sections, there are multiple additional filters you can apply (by tapping the Filter button in the lower right corner) For instance, whether to show/hide completed tasks, show negative priorities, turn on/off subtasks. You also have the ability to sort by importance, goal, folder, priority, and tag.

As far as tagging goes, you can add several tags to a task by comma separating them, unlike some other apps in which you have to add them separately. This I found nice as I could easily search for these keywords in the future if need be.

Finally, (sort of) you have a Settings screen within the app and many of the features in the app are customizable including how your Hotlist will appear, default values set in fiends, fields to show/hide, what the application badge refers to and you can change your home page. There is also a significant amount of documentation within the app to help you with it, however, it does lack images. :(

Another thing that is nice about Toodledo is that it offers an online syncing solution. You have the ability to access you ToDo's from any computer with a data connection and edit them. Toodledo online sync also integrates with a number of ToDo applications (as you will read later.)

Other than some of the minor UI issues I listed above (goals), I also did not like the fact that I had to hit done to go to the next blank field when entering a new task. Next/Previous buttons would be nice to have.

Toodledo Conclusion:
    Overall I recommend this application for anyone that wants to get their feet wet with the familiarity of the GTD scheme. At only $1.99, you cannot go wrong with this application. This is an affordable application, that should suite anyones needs (once you understand what GTD is). However, if you like a plain & simple ToDo application, then this is not the application for you.
    Last edited by msbaylor; 02-21-2009 at 07:37 AM.
    02-19-2009 05:52 AM
    Done
    $0.99

4/5

Video:

Pros:
    -Simple interface
    -Simple ToDo manager
    -Create Wallpaper of tasks
    -App begins with Tip Todo's o how to use the app

Cons:
    -No software or web backup (iTunes only)
    -Cannot create a
    new task from the home screen
    -No due dates

Done is one of the simpler ToDo applications and mostly reminds me of the way the palm handled ToDo's. A unique feature that this application offers is the ability to create a Wallpaper image that lists your top 6 prioritized ToDo's. I'll go into this later.

Upon opening the application you are presented with Lists that you create (will create) label & color code. You can create a new task by tapping on the + in the top right corner.

When you tap on one of your lists, you can view the different ToDo's in that list. You can tap on the + button to create a new task.

In creating new task, you type in the Todo, set the priority (1,2, or 3,) then which list you want it under. If you create the task under the list that you are currently in, then it will default to that list.

To check off a task you simply tap on the number and it will gray-out as completed.

If you have a list that has mixed priorities (tasks not sorted), you can gently shake the device to sort them by priority.

To delete completed tasks, turn the iPhone/iTouch on its side and you can tap the orange check mark and it will delete all of them.

On the main screen where all the lists are listed, by tapping on the button at the bottom middle of the screen, the app with create a photo with your top 6 prioritized tasks. From the photo album on the iPhone, you can then make it your wallpaper, a sleek and unique idea.

In the list view, in the bottom right-hand corner is the settings button there you can turn the sound effects on or off or turn the app badge on or off.

Done Conclusion:
    This is a simple application for people that just want a list & check off todo list nothing fancy. And if you come from a Palm device, you might like the simplicity of this application. (minus the due dates.) This application is $0.99 and for that, it's quite nice, add due dates and this is a great bang for your buck!
    Last edited by msbaylor; 02-21-2009 at 07:30 AM.
    02-19-2009 05:53 AM
    Ultimate Todos
    $4.99

4/5

Video:

Pros:
    -You can switch tabs to insert next tags or context without deleting partial task.
    -Easily add a task from any screen
    -Voice tasks
    -Capable of viewing the file size of voice tasks
    -Multiple tags can be selected for each task
    -In app help documentation with pictures.
    -Syncs with Toodledo

Cons:
    -Can't distinguish between Tags & Context icons in task view.
    -Can't edit tags or contexts in-line must change screens.
    -Does not automatically sync (this could be a pro for some)
    -New Task & New voice task buttons are a little too close together.

Ultimate ToDos is much like the other todo applications, as it also follows the GTD work flow. Ultimate Todos utilizes a Dashboard home screen as well as a toolbar at the bottom of the screen. One of the things that is unique to this application is the ability to create Voice Tasks.

The application begins with the Dashboard screen that allows you to view All tasks, Highlights, Flagged, Overdue, Today, and Scheduled tasks. There are also a number of other viewing options, like grouping your tasks by priority, viewing tasks only in a certain priority, grouping them by status, or even viewing tasks by an individual status. (exe. Active, someday, or postponed).

When you create a new task you have the Title, Notes, Due Date, Tags, Contexts, Status, Priority, option to add a voice note, option to add a reference contact.

When viewing any of the tasks in their list view, you have the title which has the check box to the left of it (red for high priority, grey for normal, and green for low priority.) Underneath the title you have the due date, to the right of the title you have the set of icons as selected from your context and tag selections. When viewing the tasks in list view, I found it difficult to discern which icon were for context and which were for tags. It would be nice to have a separator or a different set of icons, or even better, just a color coded bubble of some kind and leave the icons for the tags.
    You also have a star next to the icons to let you know whether you have it flagged or not. Tap on the stat to select or deselect it. You can tap on the title of the task to see the details in textual form including a memo if you have added one.

There is also a little gear icon to the left of the add-new-task icon that drops down an additional menu, that allows you to search your tasks, add a voice task, edit the task list, or view in-app-help.

If you decide to create a voice note/task, the add button it right next to the add new task button. While I found it nice to have the two always nearby, I didn't like the fact that they were so close together as I found that I would sometimes tap the wrong one.
    Within the edit screen of a voice task, you can set a title, then tap the record button and then press stop to stop the recording. After you have recorded, it will let you know the Duration and the file size of the recording. I thought the file size of the voice task was a nice addition as it allows you to get rid of the larger files if need be or to leave the smaller ones if warranted.

The second screen is the Tags page, here you can view tasks by their tags, edit/delete/create new tags. When creating a tag you can place an identifying icon with that tag in order to easily distinguish it while viewing the task in list view (as it is displayed.)

The next screen is the Contexts screen. This is much like the tags screen as far as viewing tasks and editing contexts. You can also have an icon for each context; however, you are using the same set of icons as you are for the tags.

The last screen, is the Sync screen. This is where you can sync with your Toodledo account if you wish. There are also some options that allow you to manage the way you sync with your Toodledo account. Also realize that you can only sync with your Toodledo account once every minute or you will get locked out of your account for an hour (the program states this under its Important Notes section.)

In the App Settings in the iPhone's main settings screen, you can edit numerous preferences. Such as the startup screen. Whether or not you can easy edit the tasks or have extra measures taken from them being erased. You can have the tasks automatically delete after a certain period of time. And what the badge displays what id counted in the number of tasks represented on the app badge. If you feel the dashboard is cluttered, you can hide certain lists as well.

During the writing of this review, the application was free. However its retail price is $4.99, and it's current price is $0.99. The more complicated the application, the more issues are possible. While I like this application, there are some things that I really dislike. Firstly, the icons that are viewable from the task list view they are confusing. I'd like to have the choice of just having the words displayed or one of the options I have previously mentioned. However, unlike some of the other ToDo applications, this one syncs with Toodledo, which to say the least, I think is a necessity for any to do application. I think this application would be good for anyone that likes to have voice notes, or even in this case voice notes. The use of voice notes allows you to enter a lengthy task without having to spend the time typing it out on the iPhone's keyboard.
    Last edited by msbaylor; 02-27-2009 at 03:24 AM.
    02-19-2009 05:55 AM
    Firetask
    $4.99

3/5

Video:

Pros:
    -color coded priority
    -Icon categories for quick visual reference.
    -Sub-tasks

Cons:
    -No sync (other than iTunes)
    -Cannot check-off projects
    -cannot check off items in Inbox

Firetask is relatively new to the iTunes AppStore, but offers some compelling features that people might find that it completes their needs. It also follows the GTD layout.

When you first begin the app, the screen opens up to the Today tab. While most of the other Todo applications utilize a list view of other views on the main screen, Firetask utilizes a toolbar at the bottom to select between views. While this is nice, the ability to quickly switch to list views under the more is a long way of going about it to find the list view you want.

In the Today list view, it displays all your tasks that are due that day or that are overdue. The icon to the left of the task denotes the task category. The blue text below the task indicates the project that the task is associated with. (you must associate the task with a project, there in no way to un-project a task.) The icon to the right of the task indicates the priority the closer it is to red, the higher the priority. Also the status of the task also relates to this icon, meaning, if the status of the task is in progress, two arrows revolving around the icon will appear, if it is canceled or completed a check mark will appear in the icon (not really sure why a check mark appears when the status has been set to canceled?) If the task does not have an action set to it, then it will represent just a small orb-like icon. If this is the case, when you want to check off the task, you have to double-tap the icon to mark it as complete. I don't really understand why this is, but it seems that when you tap it once the icon changes to the in-progress symbol and the second time you tap it, it checks-off.

In the toolbar at the bottom, it you tap on categories you can view, edit and add categories and pick the icon associated with that category. You can also view tasks by any category you tap on.

In the Projects tab, you can view/add projects, which contain sub tasks. To edit the project details you tap on the blue arrows, to view the projects tasks, you tap on the project title. I found that I could check of the tasks within the projects, but I was no able to check off the project as it would send me to the project details. This seems to be an issue that would need to be fixed as it makes no sense to not be able to complete your projects.

In the Inbox tab, it is like the GTD style Inbox. Everything that is not sorted (raw thought, etc.) go into your Inbox to be edited later. Also in the Inbox I found that I was not able to check off items.

In the More tab, you are given several listing choices Someday, Completed, Canceled, Trash, Projects completed, and projects canceled.

I would like to not be able to have a project selected.
    This applications seems to do well for people that like visuals that is to say that this application uses numerous colors to categorize the tasks and prioritize. However, as many features as Firetask offers, they aren't complete. For instance in the Inbox you cannot check off a task nor can you check off projects in the Projects tab.

This is a good start for this application, but it definitely needs more work to charge for its $4.99 price tag.

Firetask's developer says on his website that he is working on creating a web client, which is a good thing to know that it is coming as that is a much needed thing with any Todo application. There also needs to be a fix for the other issues that I have mentioned. Once that is complete, I think this application will be on a good path for keeping track of your Todo's.
    Last edited by msbaylor; 02-21-2009 at 07:37 AM.
    02-19-2009 05:56 AM
    Zenbe Lists
    $2.99

2.5/5

Video:

Pros:
    -Tasks within lists
    -Remembers last screen before exiting
    -Simple User Interface
    -App rotates in any direction
    -Ability to share tasks

Cons
    -Lack of color coding
    -No tagging
    -Cannot prioritize
    -No application badge
    -Cannot edit list name once created.
    -No way to move a task from one list to another

Zenbe Lists was the first Todo application I bought for my iPhone. It's simple and sleek interface and the ability to sync with the web make this application a great todo app for a project oriented person.

On the main screen, are your lists. You can create or edit your lists by tapping the appropriate buttons at the top of the screen. While you could create personal, business, or school Lists ( aka categories,) you can also create a list as a 'project.'

After you create your list, you can begin to create your tasks. You can create a task by tapping on the new button. Then you type in the title, and a due date if you wish.

You can also mark it as complete if you have already have completed the task. Once you have created a task, you will be taken back to the list's Todo's, from here you can once again view your tasks (due date is in gray under the task), check it off or edit it. While there is no way to prioritize the tasks, you can edit the list and manually rearrange the tasks.

Within one of your lists, you can share your list by tapping the Share button. This will take you out of the app and into the mail.app where you can send a link to anyone. The person on the receiving end will receive a link, and when they click/tap on it, they can view your list and see what you have completed and what you have not. If viewing it from an iPhone, the user can add the list to their Zenbe App( if they have it).

In viewing the lists, you can view them and the number of completed tasks within that list. For instance - 2/10 means you have completed 2 out of 10 tasks. If the numbers are red, then that means one or more of your uncompleted items are overdue. In the list view, if you tap on edit, you can re-arrange the lists or delete them as well.

Zenbe Lists Conclusion:
    While this is a nice application that allows you to sync the app with a web client, it is lacking some simple necessities such as color coding, prioritizing and an app badge. At $2.99 this app seems a little high for it's lack of features. While this app is nice, sleek and works well, it's not exactly simple as the app seems to work against you when trying to complete simple tasks such as editing list names or with the inability to prioritize the tasks.
    Last edited by msbaylor; 02-21-2009 at 07:38 AM.
    02-19-2009 05:56 AM
    Great idea to review all of these. Wish you would of included OmniFocus though.
    02-19-2009 01:29 PM
    one of 2 things to make my life easier:

- Appigo's Todo to support subtasks/projects

OR

- Things to support repeating tasks

I guess I can't have everything lol, Nonetheless, awesome head to head comparison
    02-19-2009 01:48 PM
    Great idea to review all of these. Wish you would of included OmniFocus though.
    hmmm. Might have to...
    02-19-2009 02:52 PM
    Rank in AppStore (as of 2-6-08)

1. Things (Paid)
    2. Todo (Paid)
    3. Toodledo (Paid)
    4. Zenbe (Paid)
    5. Ultimate Todos (Paid/ Temp. Free)
    6. Done (Paid)
    7. Firetask (Paid)
    "Things" may have more downloads, but Appigo's "Todo" has a higher user rating - 4 stars v.s. 3.5 stars for "Things".

Overall, I much prefer Todo over Things, particularly as a stand alone app. No repeating tasks in Things makes it a non-starter for me.

Moreover, Appigo keeps pushing out update after update, with significant advances each time. In comparison, Things has been standing still on the iPhone.

YMMV
    02-20-2009 11:44 AM
    "Things" may have more downloads, but Appigo's "Todo" has a higher user rating - 4 stars v.s. 3.5 stars for "Things".

Overall, I much prefer Todo over Things, particularly as a stand alone app. No repeating tasks in Things makes it a non-starter for me.

Moreover, Appigo keeps pushing out update after update, with significant advances each time. In comparison, Things has been standing still on the iPhone.

YMMV
    True, I even contacted Appigo and they did confirm that they are working on projects/subtasks feature (which makes me very happy btw lol)
    02-20-2009 12:34 PM
    True, I even contacted Appigo and they did confirm that they are working on projects/subtasks feature (which makes me very happy btw lol)
    I can only hope.
    (which would make me very happy as well)
    02-20-2009 12:39 PM
    You missed the free Fliq Tasks

It doesn't need to sync, you just Fliq it to another user or your desktop.

In the App store search for Fliq and it'll let you exchange contacts, photos, notes and more with other Fliq users over a network - quickly and easily.

I downloaded it today and works like a charm
    02-20-2009 06:01 PM
    I have been using Todo for about 2 weeks now and I really like it. I looked at Things but the expensive Desktop version held me back. I keep most of my tods on the iPhone anyway. I have never really used the Desktop version even with Palm. The fact that Todo will sync wirelessly with iCal is SWEET. I have MoMe and my Todos even show up in MoMe
    02-20-2009 06:52 PM
    All of the posts now have both Mobile & Normal videos versions.
    02-21-2009 07:40 AM
    Yeah omnifocus review would be cool baylor
    02-25-2009 08:04 AM
    Life Balance is truly a remarkable todo app focusing on GTD. It has a slightly steeper learning curve than most, but the llamagraphics website has some great tutorials.

It will sync (via wifi only) to PCs and MACs.

It handles "contexts" better than anything I've seen before, with the ability to specify times/days that a particular context is "open". Contexts can also be nested or grouped. It also handles task/project nesting, as well as many options for repeating tasks.

The iPhone version's UI needs some tweaking yet, but llamagraphics has been at this business for a long time, and can be counted on to make intelligent improvements.

- Dan
    02-25-2009 12:32 PM
    Finally read this. Simply an outstanding post/thread!!!
    02-25-2009 04:36 PM
    great reviews, took a lot a time it looks like.

malik
    02-25-2009 06:24 PM
    The 1.01 version of PocketInformant was just released this afternoon...I'd love to see your review of this application, too. It has some performance problems, but it's a combo of Todo's (GTD or Franklin Covey) with it's own calendar as well. It's really what Apple SHOULD have done. The calendar/event views are far more robust than the built in calendar and it syncs with Google as well as Toodledo.

They also announced they are working on a Windows sync version to allow direct syncing (not via Google) to Outlook. It looks promising...
    04-14-2009 12:26 AM
    Disclaimer: We created Nubi Do so this is a bit of shameless publicity... But it really is a great task manager. Full featured with a clean look and feel and simple work flow.
    04-21-2009 01:51 PM
    Appigo has come out with version 2.0 for their To Do App! They've added quite a few features to the app including:

• Project & Checklists (subasks)
    • Full calendar view for picking a due date
    • Selectable priority icon themes
    • Manual task sorting
    • List color dots
    • SMS task type
    • Plus lots more...

Will update review soon...
    04-27-2009 02:13 PM
    Action Lists is another up and coming contender, with the simplest, most faithful GTD implementation I've seen yet.
    04-28-2009 04:42 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD