Review: Bridges Puzzle

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Bridges puzzles is a fun logic problem solving game. You are presented with a series of islands, each of which has a number on it. That number represents that number of "bridges" that must be used to connect that island to each other to support the population. No more, no less.

Okay, it is a bit of a hokey descriptions, given the simplistic nature of the graphics, but it works. Basically, you try to connect the points to each other with a certain number of lines. A point with the number four can have four lines total, the number three means...you guessed it, three lines total.

You draw the lines simply by drawing lines between the two points (must be horizontal or vertical, no diagonal lines). You can draw up to two lines connecting any two points. If you need to start other, swipe between the points a third time to erase the lines (or hit the clear button at the bottom of the screen).

When a point has the correct number of lines, it will change from grey to blue. If there are too many, it turns red. The goal is to try to figure out how to turn all the points blue at the same time.

It's sort of a fun little logic problem. I went through a few different levels. They weren't too hard - there doesn't seem to be any difficulty level adjustment which would be nice. As you go, you try to complete the puzzle faster and faster, to beat the best time.

There are no other modes of play. While "beat the clock" is fun, it would also be fun to have a countdown mode, trying to finish in a predetermined amount of time. And again, direct competition (two people racing to complete the same puzzle on their iPhones) is always good.

The strategy aspect of the game does not seem to challenging. There are some pretty basic strategies you can employ that always seemed to work and solve the puzzle pretty quickly. I like this puzzle idea, but I think it need to be developed further to make it more challenging.

Pros: Fun idea for a logic puzzle, fun to try to beat your best time

Cons: Not as challenging as I would have liked, no other play modes

All in all, this is a fun game, and the object of beating your best time can drive people (well, me at least) to play it over and over...just to knock a second off your time! Additional game modes or difficulty levels would add more fun and enhance the game, but at $.99 it is certainly worth it to give it a shot. Four out of five stars. In the interest of full disclosure, I was given a promo code for this app.

Chris

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.