Review: Imacoco

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Imacoco is an app whose sole purpose in life is to allow you to tell others where you are. When you start the app, it uses Google maps and your GPS to identify your location (on Google maps). From there, you have a few options.

First off, you can take a picture. Presumably the picture is of your surroundings, and once snapped it is uploaded to the Imacoco servers. You can also move the Google map around a little bit, shifting the frame of reference.

Lastly, you have the goal of the program - tell others. Hitting the "send email" button brings you to the email interface. You can then create an email message that includes a link to Google-maps so that others can see where you are. If you took a picture, there is a link to the website address so people can see the picture as well.

When sending the email, you can also type, so you can include any sort of message you may want to. The email interface is the normal iPhone email interface, so you have full access to your contacts.

One interesting note - there are actually two links for the google map. One for "PC's and the iPhone" and one for "all other mobile phones". I just found it interesting that the iPhone web browser is good enough to be considered with PC's, and not with other mobile phones.

So that's it - that's what Imacoco does. And it does it well.

I am just...well...not sure why. I mean, I really don't know what the value is of sending someone an email with a link to your coordinates on Google maps. If I really wanted someone to meet me, I would call or text them. If I was just telling them about something cool, I would just send an email (or call or text).

So when it comes to this app, I am somewhat conflicted. It is nicely designed, nice interface, and easy to use. I just don't know why I would want to use it, or when it would be useful.

Pros: Easy to use, nice interface

Cons: Not sure about the utility of the app

All in all, this is a well designed app that does something I am not sure needed to be done. Perhaps there are people out there who have an strong need to email their Google-map location to others, but I just don't see it. That, combined with a price that (to me) see a little high ($1.99) for what it does, leads me to rate this app a little low. However, if for some reason you think you would want to email others your google map location (with a picture if you like) then I recommend this app for you. But for general use, I give it three out of five stars, with the "flaw" being that I just don't know how useful the app is.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Chris

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711