Review: Audio Recorder 2

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
One of the biggest limitations of the iPhone software is the inability to record audio memos. So it isn't any surprise to see that this is one of the most popular, and common, apps in the app store. With Audio Recorder 2, Peerium tosses their hat into the ring. In the interest of full disclosure, I received a promo code to review this app.

The premise of an audio recording app is simple - record what I say, allow me to play it back. And Audio Recorder 2 doesn't disappoint. It is fairly sensitive, so you don't need to scream into the microphone. There is a nice sensitivity bar as well, so you can see if you need to speak up or tone it down.

When creating a audio recording, you have a timer tellling you how long the memo is, and four buttons on the bottom - stop, play, pause, record. You can pause a recording and then continue it as well. Lastly, when creating a recording, you can create a title for it as well by tapping on the "recording name" line on the screen.

When playing back a recording, you can see a small play bar indicating where you are in the recording. Unfortunately, there is no way to see how long a recording is, either on the main screen or the recording screen (when playing back). You can move the small dot around to jump around to various points in the recording if you like.

Back on the home screen, your recording are listed by the date they were recorded. Again, there is no way to see how long a recording is. The recording show either the name you created for the recording, or the date/time the recording was made (if you didn't create your own title). You can't reorder any memos based on alphabet, not can you jot any notes about a memo (such as "task completed" or something like that).

I wish there was some way to get more information about the recording, or a way to edit the recording name, from the main screen, but you can't do that. If you want to edit a title, you have to go into the memo and do it from there.

One nice feature is that you can append updates to a recording. Simply tap the recording button and an update will be appended to the end of the recording - even if you are in the middle of listening to it, or have even begun to play it yet.

There was a bug that I did find. The "new" button appears on the screen at all times. At first I thought this was nice - you can create a new recording no matter what screen you are looking at. However, it only works when you are on the main screen. If you are listening to a memo and hit the new button, the app seems to crash. This happened many times to me, so I don't think it is a problem with my iPhone (like a memory issue or something) but it may be.

There is no way to sync a recording, or the email it to anyone, so you are limited to listening to it on your iPhone. The sound quality in the recordings is nice, good enough for a quick memo to yourself. I wish there were a larger record button, so that you can take a quick memo in the car when you can't look at the iPhone (this is when I find I use the audio recorder most of the time).

Pros: Nice quality of sound, abble to append update to memo

Cons: no emailing memos, some possible bugs in program, can't see how long a memo is

All in all, this is a nice, if someone non-full featured recording program. Acting as a simple means to record a quick memo, if does the job well - with the bonus of being able to append future messages to a memo. The price is right ($.99) but you aren't going to be getting any bells and whistles. Four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Chris

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711