Review: Snowflakes

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Snowflakes is a program by Peerium that tries to mimic the effects of, well, being is a snow globe I guess. You can create snowflakes in the by tapping the screen (creating individual snowflakes by tapping once, or creating a "stream" of snowflakes by dragging your finger). Once a snowflake(s) is created, it then starts to fall - falling downward based on how you are holding the iPhone. If you don't touch the iPhone for a while, individual snowflakes are created on their own, albeit they are created slowly.

One funny thing I noticed - if you leave the iPhone laying on your desk, the snowflakes fall "away" from the front of the iPhone - getting smaller and smaller as if they are getting father away (until they vanish). And likewise, if you leave your iPhone upside down (screen down) the snowflakes fall "towards" the screen - getting larger and larger until the take up the whole screen.

The snowflakes that are created when you touch the screen are fairly unique, relative to each other. I counted at least 8 different kinds of snowflakes, however I did see some repeats, so it looks like they are generated from an database of images, not via a random fractal generator or anything.

Unfortunately, that is the extent of the application, and I was a little disappointed by it. There is no way to control or alter any variables - number of snowflakes create, how fast they fall, no wind effects or anything like that. The app got boring very quickly, and most other apps of this type allow for some variability. Heck, it would be nice if the "ground" also rotated relative to how you are holding the iPhone, so the snow was always falling down towards the ground. In addition, having the ground change as the snow piled up would at least add some interest to the app.

My daughter did like playing with it, making snowflakes, so if you have a young child (I would say 6 or younger) they may enjoy it. In the interest of full disclosure, I was given a promo code to review this app.

Pros: Cheap
Cons: Limited ability to hold interest, no customization options

All in all, if you are looking for a wintery or Christmas app, this may fit your needs. If you have a small child who likes to play with the iPhone, they may like this. But otherwise, this app loses interest very rapidly and I didn't see anything to make me want to try it more than once. It is $.99, so if it sounds interesting, give it a try, but I give it only two out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods