Review: Uno

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Pros: control sound from begining

slow, a little buggy

Uno...who doesn't have fond memories of playing that game while growing up? Oops, am I dating myself?

Uno is a fun card game where the goal is to get rid of all of your cards, while preventing the other players from doing the same. The name derives from the idea that when you have only one card left, you need to say "Uno" - otherwise you are penalized.

Uno starts off with three play modes - quick play, single player, and multiplayer (finally, a multiplayer game!). Quick play is simply a four player game with three computer opponents. You start playing (I won't go into the rules, but in case you forget the rules, there is a rather complete help option - including some rules I had forgotten about!). The game play progresses with the goal of reaching 500 points (not just winning the game).

Single player mode is a similar game mode, but you can modify choose either a tournament mode (where you progress through various subsets of rules) or a custom mode (where you can define various features of game play, including the difficulty, game mode, scoring type, and penalties - as well as others!). These various settings allow for a wide range of options and a large number of gaming experiences.

In tournament mode, you compete to play for various reward "cups" - such as catching someone forgetting to say "Uno", win your first game, win 10 games, etc.

Multiplayer mode offers a range of options, including wifi mode, online mode, and one device mode (passing the device back and forth). Online and wifi are nice complents to each other, meaning you aren't limited to your local wifi network for a multiplayer game. I really like the option of being able to play against other people - in my mind that's what puts many games worthwhile.

A few quick comments. When you start, the game asks if you want sound or not. I have seen more and more games doing this, and I really like to be presented with that option right from the get go. The game play is a little slow, but the graphics are nice and clean. I am not sure why it is as slow as it is, since other, more graphic intensive games don't seem to have the same lag. Also, it is a little buggy. The game crashed on my about four or five times while I was playing it for the review.

The game also provides quick "hints" when starting a new game or switching screens. Nothing that exciting, but at least it is something to read rather than just waiting for the screen to change!

Pros: Nice clean graphics, multiplayer mode, lots of setting to experiment with

Cons: A little buggy and slow at times, some difficulty with the multiplayer options

All in all, this is a fun game to play, and the wide range of options means that you can play it again and again without it getting to stale. The multiplayer mode is especiallly welcome, although I did have trouble connecting to the server at times. The graphics are nice, suitable for the game itself. Aside from a few bugs and slowdowns, there isn't anythign really wrong with this program, and at $4.99, the price isn't prohibitve. Four and a half out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
One quick note about something I noticed, the AI in this game is lacking at times. It will be say, yellow and a computer will throw a wild and change the color to yellow. Along with this bug, I'd bet a few other things will probably be fixed with updates.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I have noticed some poor choices as well. Not enough to make it unplayable, but decisions that make you scratch your head sometimes.

I wonder sometimes if the decision making is based on the number of points a card is worth as opposed to the best strategy for keeping cards to play later.

Chris

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Ah, I didn't think of the point values, that makes sense.

And it definitely doesn't make it unplayable. It's still a great game.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Pros: control sound from begining

slow, a little buggy

Uno...who doesn't have fond memories of playing that game while growing up? Oops, am I dating myself?

Not at all. It is as popular as ever.

The beauty of this family game is that it is for all ages. When he was four, my godson (who just passed his exams for Certified Financial Analyst) learned to use numbers so that he could join the family in this wonderful game. Like most good games, there are elements of both luck and skill. While children play it intuitively, there are tactics and strategies that allow grownups to compete.

The price of $4.99 is cheaper than the cards with the added advantage that the game is available when wanted, and the cards cannot be lost, dog-eared, or sticky from Coke. (Children expect the world to be sticky but it makes the cards hard to shuffle and deal.)

"One iPod Touch per child."

Last edited:

palmprenc

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I enjoy playing this game. Probably the second most played game on my phone. My only complaint is when you are playing others online, you can only play single hands. Then you have to join another room.

Otherwise, this is well worth the money.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2