Review: My Stuff

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
There are many inventory tracking programs out there, and the ability to catalog and describe all your "stuff" is pretty useful. I decided to review "My Stuff" because it seemed to be pretty full featured as well as customizable.

I stuff is a categorical/location based inventory system. By that, I mean that it allows you to track your "stuff" either based on the "type of stuff" (category) or where it is (location). When you download the program, it includes some default locations and categories, but you are free to add as many of each as you like.

I find this method of tracking "stuff" pretty useful, because you can expand the information as needed. Want to keep track of stuff at work? Simply create a location "Work". Have a second summer house? Create a location "Summer House". You can expand as needed. The locations can be as specific or broad as you like. Want to simply list things in your house? Simply use the "House" location. Want to list things room by room? Create a location for each room. When you add an item, you specify the location (and you can change it later if needed).

The categories are more useful. Each item is classified as to what it is - what category of "stuff" it falls under. The default listings including electronics, appliances, art, etc. Each category has a template of attributes associated with it - so when you add an item in electronics, you can also add the serial number, the model, etc. The attributes differ from category to category, so if you add an art item you can instead add things like artist and appraisal. When you create a new category, you can choose to use an existing template or not have a template at all (and simply add attributes to the items in the category on a item by item basis).

The various templates can be adjusted as needed - adding attributes to a category (the template) or removing them. So for electronics (which currently has make, model, and serial number) if you want to ALWAYS include the purchase price, simply add a price attribute to the template. There is even a Sold template if you sell something, so you can use that if you sell some of your stuff, but want to keep a record of what you had. Attributes can be of any data "type" you want - a string value, yes/no value, date, time, currency value, etc. Because of this flexability, you can add just about any kind of information - if the item was a gift, if it is damaged, how much it costs, when it was purchased, where you got it, etc.

When adding items, you can add them either by category, by location, or simply adding them to the list of stuff you have. You can also get a count of the number of items in each category or location. If you choose to add by category or location, the item is automatically "list" in the appropriate section. If you add by list (and include a value for category or location) it will be added to the appropriate category and location. You do have the option of leaving category or location blank if you want. When viewing items, you can either view them by category, location, or an alphabetical list.

When you are adding a new item, you can add additional attributes as well - you simply hit the "add attribute" button. The various attributes can be either filled out or left blank, depending on the amount of detail you want to include for an item. You can also add an image from either an existing photo or a new photo you take.

One last feature that is essential is the ability to backup or restore data to your computer via a wifi connection. You can also generate an web based report, listing all your stuff (including a category view, location view, etc). This is also a nice feature to have, and you download it via a wifi connection to your computer. It would be nice to be able to email these instead of requiring a wifi connection, but it is nice that these options exist.

This is a full featured application with a lot of ability for customization. You can describe almost any item you may have with a high degree of specificity, including a lot of information that may be important for insurance purposes. It is list/text based, so you aren't going to get pretty icons for the different locations or categories. Graphics such as these, while not required, wold make the program look nicer, but otherwise the interface poses no problems at all. At times, it got a little confusing navigating the various screens, but in general I would prefer to have the options to customize the information rather than not have it.

Pros: High degree of customization, easy to input data, backup and reports can be generated for wifi connection

Cons: Can be a little confusing

All in all, this is a solid inventory tracking program. It's high level of customization means you can use it in almost any setting - even combining different locations in one database. It has a backup option as well as an ability to generate reports, althought those are limited to wifi. It is currently on sale for $2.99, although it is normally prices $4.99. If you want to keep track of your stuff, I would even recommend it at the higher price. Four and a half out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2