Review : Virtual Pool Mobile

APPCRITICal

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
Top of the AppStore chart this week is Virtual Pool Mobile, a game I first played back the days of G3 Pismo's and Lombard's. I remember the first time I played it, I was about 10 and it took me an hour to get used to my first trackpad!
I was expecting a similarly daunting experience when I first tried to play Virtual Pool on my iPhone. I must say, I was pleasantly surprised, the controls feel intuitive and accuract. This accuracy combined with a simple menu system makes for easy and refreshing gameplay.

Picture%20002.png

MENU:

When you first load the game you are given a brief tutorial on the primary controls and functions before being presented with the Main Menu. The options provided to you are:

Career Play - The main game mode, allows you to build your career and earn money as a pool shark.
Quick Play - Essentially the practice mode.
Settings - Obvious really?About - Game credits etc.
Help - Allows you to repeat the intro video and others.

Picture%20003.png

GAMEPLAY:

The bread and butter of Virtual Pool has always been the career mode. This is where you challenge other players in your ability range for money, lose too often and you're broke, win a few good bets and you're on easy street.
Once entering your name you can choose your Game Type & Difficulty. Personally I had a few problems with the accuracy of the buttons surrounding this particular menu, hopefully this can be addressed in future updates. I decided to build a career in 8 Ball.
After another cutscene where you are mildly taunted by a man in a hat, you chose your location. When you first begin you start off in a small garage playing against Amateur's such as yourself. I decided to play 'Dank' for $50.

I was impressed with the graphics, they appear sharp and crisp. I can't see any obvious glitches or tearing, so overall pretty good. The onscreen menu is easy to follow and you learn very quickly. It will take you a while to get used to aiming, but once you pot a few good balls you will be over the moon.

Picture%20004.png

CONCLUSION:

To put it simply, for ?0.59, you really can't go wrong. Its a great game for when you're sat on the train commuting and I can see myself playing it for a long time to come!

APPCRITICal

PS: I'm going to be writing reviews for the top 10-15 Paid Apps each week. I've set aside a budget of ?50 per month, so PM me with your requests.

Last edited:
Reactions: msbaylor

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77