Review: Kapow!

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Kapow is a simple program designed to let a user have their own soundtrack and they go about their daily lives. Well, maybe not a sound track, but a sound effects track.

The idea is simple. You turn the wheel to the sound effect type that you want, and then shake the iPhone to achieve that sound effect.

The sound effect categories include cartoon, laughs, transportation, sci fi, and "any of the above". Right off the top, I have a complaint about this program. The description AND the pictures included of the app lead me to believe there were more categories. The picture of the app itself shows "nasty" as an option, which didn't appear anywhere in the app itself.

In addition, within each category the selection of sound effects is..well...extremely limited. And that is putting it nicely. In the sci-fi category, for example, there is only one sound effect! Where are the lasers, exploding planets, rocket ships, robots, and computer panels? This is also true of the others (although it appears as if some of them - notably the cartoon category - tries to alter the length of the sound to appear as if there are different sound effects.

In addition, some of the sounds don't make sense - in the sci fi category, it sounds like there is a train running in the background. Either this is a very poor design, or it is just..well...bad.

Look, there is no way this app would ever be considered important. But it would be kind of fun to be able to having a walking sound effects track (if nothing else, you could use the laugh track to have people laugh at your jokes!). But this app is a poor excuse for what it seems to be trying to do. Unless the library of sounds is vastly expanded, it is going to be forgotten quickly.

Pros: The idea of a sound effects track is cool

Cons: Poor excuse for a sound effects track

All in all...well, unless you see an indication that the library is expanded, avoid this app. Their claim that the app entertains friends and "amuse your kids/grandkids" only works if you they are idiots or suffer from short term memory loss. They also claim "I guarantee you will not be able to stop the laughters [sic]". I want to know how to get my $.99 back. One out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.