Review: Easy Wi-fi for AT&T

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Now that AT&T lets iPhone users access their wi-fi hot spots, iPhones are a lot more fun to use when not on your home wi-fi network. Unfortunately, while not conplex, the process to access an AT&T wifi spot is a little convoluted. You need to access the wi-fi, enter your phone number, receive a text message, then click on the link in the text message. Not convoluted, but certainly not fast.

Enter Easy Wi-fi from Devicescape. You set up this program by entering your phone number. From then on, if you are in a location that offers AT&T wifi, you can just start this program and it will run through those steps for you. Simple, huh. No need to get (or wait for) text messages, no need to click on links.

The application itself will tell you if you are connected to a network or using a cell tower for data transfer (in case for some reason you can't see the little "3G" or wi-fi signal indicator on the main screen. If you are already connected to a network, the application will tell you what network you are connected to.

Nice and easy to use. It also include a button to link to the AT&T wi-fi locator (by zip code) so you can see if there are any AT&T wi-fi spots nearby.

Devicescape also offers a a program called "Easy Wi-fi" that stores your login name and password for ANY wi-fi network you may want to log in to - including t-mobile hotspots, AT&T hotspots, FON, WiFly, etc. From what I read, they do offer services for sites beyond just the USA. However, some of those are pay services, so you need to be careful when using them. AT&T Wi-fi spots are free for iPhone users. While I haven't tried to general "Easy Wi-fi" program, based on my experience with this application I would recommend it is you use a variety of wi-fi sites sites that require an account or login. My guess is that it is pretty easy to set up and use.

Pros: Easy to set up and use

Cons: Limited to only AT&T wifi spots

All in all, this is a nice program. Easy to set up, easy to use. It costs $.99, which truthfully seems like it is overpriced to me. The full featured version which stores usernames and passwords to multiple hotspot types costs $1.99 so it may be beneficial to just purchase that. However, if you just want a quick way to access the free AT&T hotspots, this does the job, and does the job well. Four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benfits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Last edited:
Reactions: EmEuS

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
You exit the app, then use safari. This just configures your connection, not the browser or anything.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2