I blame my dad for getting my involved with watching the Glycemic load on foods, so when I saw this app appear in the app store, I quickly picked up as a reference, as well as giving my Dad another reason to come on over to the good side (iPhone) and to throw the 1” brick to the shelf (old Treo.)

For those of you that don’t know, a Glycemic Index is the measure of the effects of carbohydrates on blood glucose levels. Carbohydrates that break down rapidly during digestion releasing glucose rapidly into the bloodstream have a high GI; carbohydrates that break down slowly, releasing glucose gradually into the bloodstream, have a low GI. (via Wikipedia) Glycemic index - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Data:
    The data in the app claims that the data comes from the National Cancer Institute and is accurate based on the research I did. However in knowing this – have you ever looked up information on the USDA website? The search function isn’t exactly accurate.
    When searching for potato, you get everything from Potato Salad to “Beans, Green & Potatoes” with “raw, potatoes” somewhere in between. Well that is how this app is as well. The search function needs work. If I searched for “potato.” I would expect “potato” to be the first result not something else with potato in it.

Interface:
    Besides the poor search function implemented, the UI is a bit weird as well. The use of a “nice” background, removes real estate from the much needed text placement. In other words there is a small area where the text is displayed, this shrinking it and some might have difficulty in reading the small text.
    Also the search bar seems to float just below the top of the screen, which seems a bit awkwardly placed.

When you tap on an item, you will see it’s full title as well as a colored box with the Glycemic Load number in it. The box changes colors the higher the number is. Bright Green = Good; Red = Bad. I do like the colored boxes, however I’d rather it be the background or something, as using the whole screen would see nicer anyway.

Overall:
    I think this is a great reference and concept, however, I think that there needs to be some major UI changes as well as making the search function better.
    I’d also like to see an option to browse through certain items that begin with a certain letter of the alphabet or filter by low, medium & high GI numbers. At the current price ($3.99,) I think that the price is quite high. Maybe $1.99 if like to use GI as a reference, if you use it a lot, wait for it to drop a dollar or so then grab it. I think if they make the few pre-mentioned changes this app will work a whole lot better.

Pros:
    -Large database
    -Colored boxes for easy identification

Cons:
    -Small text
    -Poor search function
    -Awkward UI

View more screenshots here.

3/5

Currently $3.99 (I purchased for $2.99)
    Last edited by msbaylor; 12-18-2008 at 09:32 AM.
    12-18-2008 09:28 AM
    Hi there,

It's Travis here, Director of Webtopia iPhone Apps (Poulet Maison Pty Ltd) and developer of "A Low GI Diet".

Thanks for the review of my product.

Since this review I've included a function where you can restrict your search to low, medium or high GI foods only.

I take your point on the GUI but I'd like to have it look a little different to your standard iPhone app layout so that it can stand out. The problem is that the iPhone tables won't let you scroll right to see the full text so I needed to keep the font relatively small.

In regards to the search function I developed it myself to be extremely flexible. You can search for multiple words or partial words. I thought it would be advantageous to have this feature. That way you can just search for potato, if that's the main ingredient of your food, and you can see all the different ways to serve it and it's associated GI score. The standard search as you type method, that many apps use, requires you to have the search term as the first word which isn't always practical.

I'm currently looking at a new data source that is more up to date, has more foods catering to other countries not just the US, and also has Glycemic Load. Hopefully the new version will be available in the coming weeks.

Thanks,
    Travis
    04-05-2009 07:27 AM
    ...In regards to the search function I developed it myself to be extremely flexible. You can search for multiple words or partial words. I thought it would be advantageous to have this feature. That way you can just search for potato, if that's the main ingredient of your food, and you can see all the different ways to serve it and it's associated GI score. The standard search as you type method, that many apps use, requires you to have the search term as the first word which isn't always practical...

I understand what you are saying however, what I was looking for in the app, is much like a "Google" search where the closer matched items appear at the top and the ones that are less likly match to appear toward the bottom.

If I typed in "pota" I would expect something beginineg with "Pota..." to appear first, then other results to follow. Don't get me wrong, I like the fact that it searches the entire title entry. I was just hoping for the search to have more refined results at the top.
    04-05-2009 04:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD