Head to Head Review: Touch Physics

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Review #1

Touch Physics is a strategy/puzzle game, where the goal is to get the purple circle to touch the yellow star. As the game progresses, you are presented with an increasing array and diversity of obstacles in your path that you need to navigate the purple circle around. The circle is moved by forces of gravity, friction, and elasticity. For example, if a large object falls on the circle on the left side, the circle will move/roll/bounce to the right.

So how do you get the large object (or planks, or whatever you want)? Simple - you draw them. You get to add the objects that interact with the circle (and the rest of the obstacles, for that matter). You can draw straight lines, you can draw cirlces or polygons, just about any shape you have in mind (with a few exceptions - see below). These object are subject to the same laws of gravity, friction, and elasticity as the rest of the object in the game.

One especially cool feature of this game is that you can also adjust the various physical interactions. Increasing or decreasing gravity will influence both your objects and the movement of the circle, for example. Because of the various ability to actually adjust the physical parameters of the world, this becomes a much more interesting game - you can replay the same game multiple times with various changes to the physical constants.

This is an interesting concept for the game, and I like the interface. It looks like you are working on a simple paper background, and the images you "draw" look like they were drawn with a crayon. Settings can be changed in the settings menu (not within the game itself, one minor complaint), and there is a nice musical background that is playing as well.

My main problem with this game is the interaction - specifically, dawing shapes. Unfortunately, the game engine does not allow for the drawing of any sort of complex shapes (with multiple obtuse or acute angles, for example). If you try to draw one of those, the game "simplifies" it for you, often times negating the strategy you might have had when drawing the shape.

Other than that, however, the game is fun, and can be quite challenging. I like the interaction between what you draw and the obstacles in the way of the purple circle. I do wish you could save you progress within a level, instead of simply starting the level over, but that is a minor flaw. Shaking the iPhone to start a level over is a fun way to vent frustrations and begin anew.

Pros: Nice interface, good game concepts

Cons: Complex shapes not allowed

All in all, this is a cool game for the money, and if you like strategy puzzle games, this might be worth your money. The interface is clean and simple, the controls are easy to learn, and the game play can be radically alterred by adjusting the physical parameters of the "universe". For $1.99 (on sale now for $.99) it is worth the money. Four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benfits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Review #2

This little app reminds me of an app that I had on my old jail broken iPhone. I think it was called iPhysics or something like that. Well if you know the app I am talking about, imagine that but as a "lite version."

p693172107-2.jpg

touchPhysics is a series of simple (sometime not so simple) puzzles in which you have to make a little purple ball touch the yellow star. Sound easy? Think again, as you progress through the levels, they slowly begin to get harder. There are a total of 30 levels to go through not bad for this little app.

p760705237-2.jpg

In order to complete the levels you have to draw "lines" (drawing a straight line with your finger/crayon); "polygons" (drawing the objects with your finger/crayon) and "small squares" (by tapping the screen once) that hit the purple ball in order to get the purple ball to hit the yellow star.

p758362734-2.jpg

You can also remove an item from the screen by double tapping the object. And it you find yourself stuck, just shake (and hold onto your iPhone) to erase the shapes you have created.

You can also change some of the setting in the setting panel ? like friction, gravity, and elasticity. You also have the option of adjusting the music, turning off of changing the playlist.

p585394298-3.jpg

For $0.99 (right now, normally $1.99) this is a great little app to keep you entertained for a few hours (or more).
I would really like to see the more levels added and the ability to save multiple users progress.

Pros:
-Fun puzzle game
-Setting panel can be fun to play with
-Auto save & resume
-Simple controls

Cons:
-Early levels can prove difficult and frustrating. (However changing some of the settings might fix this.)
-Can't save multiple games for multiple users.

For me:
tipb_forum_45_review.png

4.5/5

Mobile Video

Normal Video

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
I found it too easy to bully my way through by exploiting the "no two objects can exist in one space at one time" loop hole. I could just add tons of lines and spheres that would explode the ball in whatever direction I wanted.

Finished too quickly :(

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2