I just stumbled upon Paradise: The Beginning, an iPhone game which has lovely graphics and a unique (for iPhone) controller scheme.

The Story:
    You're a zombie in a tank, in a post-apocalyptic world, fighting off hordes of mutants. Got that? Nevermind, it's unimportant. You're a tank-looking thing, shooting anything else that moves.

The Controls:
    Instead of the accelerometer or buttons, the game relies on a dual-analog stick paradigm, with a direction control on the left and a fire control on the right. If you've ever played Geometry Wars on the Xbox360, you'll understand right away. If you look at the photos below, imagine a thumb on each of those circular thngers. Then moving your thumb around the circle rotates them, and by proxy, rotates you. Make sense?

The Price:
    And it's only $0.99!!

The Pics:
    Title Screen:

Shot of the Gameplay:

Mocking rejoinder upon dying:

The Links:
    If you'd like to see a video of the game in action, check out their website:
    Paradise: for iPhone and iPod Touch

And if you're already excited and just want to hop right inot iTunes and buy buy buy, have at with this link:
    Link to iTunes

There's not a ton of story to this game - in fact other than what you read on their site, there's no mention of it hardly at all. However the gameplay is novel and interesting and the graphical motif is lovely.

I'm interested to see them do more with this concept, both within this franchise and extending it to other kinds of titles.

Note: I'm not a shill, just an interface junkie who needs an App Store intervention

-kilsey
    Last edited by kilsey; 12-10-2008 at 11:24 PM.
    12-10-2008 11:22 PM
    So how's the controls? Seriously.
    the only thing I don't like about this idea of having the controls on each side of the screen is that your thumbs cover up part of the playing surface. While a well designed game will should take that into account its still limiting the playing surface on the large screen. I'll stick to my PSP for now.
    12-14-2008 08:11 PM
    ...hey guys, I'm the art guy from 'Paradise'. Thanks so much for your kind comments - it's nice to see that people are receiving it well. It's a little nervewracking to labor over something, and then let it into the wild all on its own....ha ha.

..and to dannzeman - I totally understand about the controls; lots of iPhone games require that you put your fingers right on top of what you're doing. We specifically had that in mind. While it looks like your fingers would block the action, it's not really a problem. Your tanky mutant avatar stays in the center of the screen, and moves quite quickly. You don't really notice any fingers getting in the way - I understand your reticence, though, I love my PSP too.

thanks again guys,

Josh
    12-18-2008 12:18 PM
    So how's the controls? Seriously.
    the only thing I don't like about this idea of having the controls on each side of the screen is that your thumbs cover up part of the playing surface. While a well designed game will should take that into account its still limiting the playing surface on the large screen. I'll stick to my PSP for now.
    Danzeman,

As hodoca notes, the tank stays centered, so not too much of a problem with thumbs in the way. Additionally, the dials are transparent, so you can see through them to some degree, depending on where they're positioned.

As for the PSP - I can't think of any game they make that's just $0.99

Thanks hodoca! Looking forward to seeing more from you all
    12-23-2008 01:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD