Tax on apps?

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
You know, I was just going over my purchase history, and I noticed that a purchase I made on 8/15/08 was not charged tax, but the next pay purchase I may (on 9/8/08) was charged tax, and every subsequent purchase has been.

Was there a change in policy for purcahses? I moved right around then (actually, I moved at the beginning of August, but on 8/15/08 my billing address might have still been my Florida address). Am I being charged tax because I now live in Texas?

Chris

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Well, I have been charged about an 8% tax for all apps purchased since 9/8/08, regardless of who developed them.

Geoff

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
The rules concerning sales tax have changed drastically this year. The short story is that a consortium of states joined together to change the rules on when we pay sales tax and when we don't. The major change is that tax is determined based on where the goods are delivered. This means that purchases made on the net can be subject to sales tax.

There is a phase in period so its not surprising that you purchased an app one day tax free only to be charged the next. I'm in Washington State and our rules changed July 1 of this year. We had a period where one vendor would charge tax and another wouldn't. Some out of state vendors still aren't doing it correctly (not that I'm complaining mind you...)