Review: My Wedding

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Ahhh...weddings. For guests, often times an excuse to drink, hang out with people you haven't seen in a while, and maybe hook up with someone. But for people planning the wedding, it can often lead to more headaches than enjoyment. That's where wedding planners come in, and My Wedding fits the bill.

My Wedding is a wedding planner app. It generally eschews fancy graphics or logos for a simple, straightforward interface. When you start My Wedding, you have the choice of viewing the task list sorted by date (8 months before, 2-3 weeks before, etc) or by category (attire, honeymoon, flowers, etc). When you choose one of those sorting options, you can then view the sub-option(either category or date). This dual sorting method enables you to focus on specific timeline events or specific activities to make sure that everything gets done. And boy, is there a lot to get done.

The application comes pre-loaded with a lot of planned items. Ranging from setting up your budget to sharing the news with family and friends to testing out hair and makeup styles, you have a wide range of reminders set up for you. I am not an "expert" on the timing, so I can't really comment on the accuracy of the planning guide. I don't know if you really need to "research cultural traditions" at 6 months, or if you should do then before (or after) 6 months (or even do it at all).

You can also enter any items that you feel have been excluded. You can type the name, put the category, the date range, as well as type any specific notes or reminders that are important. You can also edit existing entries, so that you can add notes and change information as needed.

When an item is completed, you can change the status from "not done" to "done". When viewing a sorted listed, you can choose to view all items, completed items, or not completed items - ensuring that you won't accidentilly do the same thing twice.

This is a handy program, but I did find some features to be lacking. First of all, there is no way to actually input a wedding date. So when you select something that is "8 months before" it is up to you to figure out the timeline. It would be great if there were a calendar view (or even better, a way to import the data into the iPhone calendar) rather than relying on your to figure out the suggested deadline dates. If it were possible to have specific dates, you could then also have a list view of "the next ten things".

Along the same lines, because there are no specific dates defined, there is no way to flag overdue items. If something was supposed to be done 6 months before the wedding and you are at 4 months, there is no way to warn you that something was missed. Yes, you can go back and look at the previous date ranges, but it would be nice is a warning popped up as soon as you start the program. After all, people are going to have a lot on their mind - they may forget to go back and check if they "started to review ceremony musicians" at 6 months before the wedding.

There is no way to prioritize, either. Sure, there are many things to do at "2-3 months", but presumably ordering the wedding rings is going to be more important than ordering the ceremony props (like runners for the aisle).

Lastly, it would be great to be able to link a few additional items with the schedule. Perhaps include a contact with name and phone number with the "schedule a florist" deadline. Or include photos of various wedding cakes when you are told to "choose a wedding cake". At the very least, adding a few additional options (a contact list, registry guide, guest list, present list, etc) would really put this application over the top.

Pros: Straighforward, easy to use design, lots of items included, easy to add your own deadlins

Cons: No reminder or specific date system built in, lacking any "bonus" features like contact lists or present lists, no way to prioritize items

All in all, this is a simple, potentially useful program to avoid getting lost in wedding planning. It isn't going to provide every feature or help you with every aspect of the wedding, but for a simple timeline planning guide, this does the job quite well. At $3.99, it isn't as robust as some program (or some planning guide books) but it is cheaper. I recommend this program for people who just want a handing guide to remind them of various deadlines. Three and a half out of five stars.

gowngirl

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Has anybody had any experience with Kissmymelinda.com?

Hi all, I found my dream wedding gown here:
kissmymelinda.com
Please share your experiences,thanks!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2