New iPhone App - iMakeDecisions

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Bad Karma

So this is JasonC1015.

The one who posts negative reviews on competing apps like iChoose. And those reviews just happen to include advertisements for his own apps.

VERY bad form. The kind of behavior Apple might have an interest in.

Certainly bad karma points.

Fix it.

iMakeDecisions was released on Monday.

Our website has pretty funny videos of people using the application: iMakeDecisions > The Premium Decision-Making App for the iPhone (hope it makes you laugh)

Here is the link to the app store: http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=295600391&mt=8

The review my Wired Magazine today: iPhone App Makes Your Decisions for $2 | Gadget Lab from Wired.com

The press release: pitchengine.com - MobileDataforce - PREMIUM DECISION MAKING TOOL RELEASED FOR THE IPHONE

The Facebook group (500+ users in less than two days): iMakeDecisions | Facebook

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
You guys should read this, seems like a big problem with devs now.

I'm sure some don't want to stoop to that level, but when everyone else is doing it and cutting into their profits what are they to do?

At least what those devs are doing is public, and they're standing behind what they've done, and it only deals with their own presence on the appstore.

This person is deliberately misrepresenting himself as a 3rd party customer, maliciously criticizing other apps (even FREE ones), and intentionally pointing people to his own competing apps, while pretending he has no relationship with the apps. AND he's done it repeatedly, for multiple apps, multiple developers. Check out the list below and try to guess which are his apps and which are competitors.

I don't expect him to correct his behavior. He's clearly demonstrated his character. Perhaps a warning from Apple will help. But I know I can count on the goodwill of the iPhone community to see through the charade. Maybe you can click on 'Report a problem' under each of his fake reviews?

I'm not worried as our voluminous positive comments far outweigh his negative one, but his karma points took a major hit. I will be suspicious of all comments, good and bad, going forward. And Apple should seriously think about whether his membership in their community should be continued.

Customer Reviews By JasonC1015

100sounds HUNDREDS OF SOUND FX & SOUNDS
No Tie Software
Category: Entertainment
Released 2009
$0.99

Two words for ya: DON'T BUY!
The quality of the recordings is horrible. You can hear background noise (hissing) in many of the sound effects. There are many other sound effect tools that are much, much better! Take a look at 400 Sounds and 9000 Sounds.

400 Sounds
JLC Mobile
Released 2009
$0.99

400+ Sounds?!?! Wowza!
It looks like someone has thrown down the gauntlet. This has twice as many sound effects as the nearest sound iPhone sound board. Good selection of sounds and fantastic quality. I also like the intuitive interface and the ability to create my own personalized screen. The only suggestion I would add is to have a delay timer for the sound effect. Five star for sure!

CoinToss
Joshua Baran
Released 2008
Free

iChoose
Talee Talee
Released 2008
Free

iMakeDecisions MUCH better
You get what you pay for here. There is a much better app called iMakeDecisions that is soooo much better!

iHandy Coin Flip
iHandySoft Inc.
Released 2009
$0.99

One application vs Ten Applications
For the same price I can get the coin flip and 9 other applications in iMakeDecisions

iMakeDecisions
MobileDataforce, Inc.
Category: Lifestyle
Released 2008
$0.99

What a great idea!
Finally! Someone decided to put all the tools into one application. Thanks!

Masayuki Akamatsu
Released 2008
Free

There are better applications that have 50/50 answers.
Check out iMakeDecisions for a better application.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
So his response is to edit his initial post which confirmed the app is his. But I had already quoted it in my post.

"Last edited by JasonC1015 : Today at 04:58 PM. Reason: Information is irrelevant"

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
So... without a response here, he has indeed edited SOME of his reviews, but not ALL. (the sounds one is in very bad taste) This is very interesting.

I wonder what Apple might think about this? Or some of the publications in which Boise State University alumni JASON CRAWFORTH has received such glowing publicity...

Like Wired magazine? Or my friend Barb at AppCraver?

Or the other publications in BOISE, IDAHO where JASON CRAWFORTH has received so much positive press... over a virtual coin flipper?

Still some more edits to make, Jason. Give yourself 5 stars and everyone else 1 star if it makes you feel good, but the comments are inappropriate.

Jason,

Do the right thing. You know better. You have until Monday morning.

At least what those devs are doing is public, and they're standing behind what they've done, and it only deals with their own presence on the appstore.

This person is deliberately misrepresenting himself as a 3rd party customer, maliciously criticizing other apps (even FREE ones), and intentionally pointing people to his own competing apps, while pretending he has no relationship with the apps. AND he's done it repeatedly, for multiple apps, multiple developers. Check out the list below and try to guess which are his apps and which are competitors.

I don't expect him to correct his behavior. He's clearly demonstrated his character. Perhaps a warning from Apple will help. But I know I can count on the goodwill of the iPhone community to see through the charade. Maybe you can click on 'Report a problem' under each of his fake reviews?

I'm not worried as our voluminous positive comments far outweigh his negative one, but his karma points took a major hit. I will be suspicious of all comments, good and bad, going forward. And Apple should seriously think about whether his membership in their community should be continued.

Customer Reviews By JasonC1015

100sounds HUNDREDS OF SOUND FX & SOUNDS
No Tie Software
Released 2009
$0.99

Two words for ya: DON'T BUY!
The quality of the recordings is horrible. You can hear background noise (hissing) in many of the sound effects. There are many other sound effect tools that are much, much better! Take a look at 400 Sounds and 9000 Sounds.

400 Sounds
JLC Mobile
Released 2009
$0.99

400+ Sounds?!?! Wowza!
It looks like someone has thrown down the gauntlet. This has twice as many sound effects as the nearest sound iPhone sound board. Good selection of sounds and fantastic quality. I also like the intuitive interface and the ability to create my own personalized screen. The only suggestion I would add is to have a delay timer for the sound effect. Five star for sure!

CoinToss
Joshua Baran
Released 2008
Free

iChoose
Talee Talee
Released 2008
Free

iMakeDecisions MUCH better
You get what you pay for here. There is a much better app called iMakeDecisions that is soooo much better!

iHandy Coin Flip
iHandySoft Inc.
Released 2009
$0.99

One application vs Ten Applications
For the same price I can get the coin flip and 9 other applications in iMakeDecisions

iMakeDecisions
MobileDataforce, Inc.
Released 2008
$0.99

What a great idea!
Finally! Someone decided to put all the tools into one application. Thanks!

Masayuki Akamatsu
Released 2008
Free

There are better applications that have 50/50 answers.
Check out iMakeDecisions for a better application.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I was thinking this thread was going no where when I first saw it but now I am thinking it is pretty interesting... I was going to close it and delete the links left by JasonC1015 but it will remain open because the more I thought about it, the more I want people to know what this guy stands for and to avoid his apps. Curious to see if he replies. Just please try to keep it civil guys...

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking this thread was going no where when I first saw it but now I am thinking it is pretty interesting... I was going to close it and delete the links left by JasonC1015 but it will remain open because the more I thought about it, the more I want people to know what this guy stands for and to avoid his apps. Curious to see if he replies. Just please try to keep it civil guys...

Thanks. I think I've been pretty civil, and encouraged him to do the right thing. He can even keep his own self-rated five star rating and give others one star... but the comments are juvenile. At first I just thought it was some kid. A quick Google search shows this is a guy who seems to care about his publicity. Young Boise Entrepreneurs, etc. Featured in Wired magazine, Boise newspapers, magazines, presenting before the chamber of commerce, etc.

If the comments disappear by Monday, then I'll drop it. I believe in Karma. In fact, I'm proud that so many of my reviews are comments not just about our app, but about our responsiveness and character. THAT is the measure of success, not selling one more $.99 app than the next guy.

What you CAN do, as an honest third party, is go to iTunes and mark his reviews as NOT HELPFUL. Takes just a few seconds. Search for iMakeDecisions, view all comments, find his, and then click on his ID to see all of his comments.

Crawforth

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Jason Crawforth here.

I just received a Google alert this morning with my name being mentioned here. Sorry for the delayed response.

I have inquired from an employee this morning about the activities you mentioned above and I've learned that two of my employees have been posting negative comments about other applications.

They are being removed this morning and I assure you that it won't happen again. I am in total agreement with MacToddB's comments. Giving yourself a five star rating is one thing, but salacious remarks about another is inappropriate.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to email me at jason.crawforth(at)gmail.com.

Regards,
Jason

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Thank you, Jason. This is a new frontier, and Apple doesn't have a lot of safeguards in place, so we're all in this together. I can understand how people can get a little overzealous in guerilla marketing.

I take you at your word, and appreciate your cooperation. The ironic thing is, I think your apps are quite attractive and should certainly be able to do well on their own.

Crawforth

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Thanks Todd.

I was told that it will take a few hours for the changes to be seen on iTunes.

Thanks for the compliment too. I am very pleased with our apps and I've got a great team of developers that take a lot of pride in their work. They've enjoyed learning the new technology (they primarily develop for the Windows Mobile platform) and are just as excited as I am about the future potential for the iPhone/iPod environment.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
Jason Crawforth:

I forgave you before, but if you're doing this again, I'm really gonna contact Apple's lawyers, whom I have a direct line to.

I HAVE NEVER POSTED A NEGATIVE REVIEW of a competitor's app. NEVER.

I have NEVER asked or paid anyone to do so. I have no knowledge of anyone posting negative reviews of your apps (and I can't remove them which you seem to be insisting). I can't state it clearly enough. If you have negative reviews, I'm not to blame.

YOU HOWEVER ADMIT THAT YOU (OR "YOUR EMPLOYEES" using your ID, JASONC1015) HAVE REPEATEDLY DONE JUST THAT. See screenshots below.

And you or they appear to be doing it again.

Where you may have a problem is that EARLIER IN THIS THREAD, I ENCOURAGED USERS to vote comments up or down if they feel they are helpful or not. Reviews are especially unhelpful if they come from competitors. So if your reviews are transparently from you, I'm not surprised others see through them. In fact, your recent comment was rated down by someone else (maybe even yourself, to prove a point?), but NOT by me.

Bottom line, if you have negative reviews they did not come from me or anyone I know. You might want to try to contact the reviewers directly (I've been successful googling their ID, which is how I found you), or through Apple, or just work on your product. As I've said before, it's an attractive app that should be able to stand on its own.

Here are screenshots from your "anonymous" reviews of competitors apps including advertisements for your own, and praises of your own apps.

JasonCrawforth2.png

JasonCrawforth1.png

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2