Review: Lemonade Stand

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I thought this review would be appropriate, because if I recall correctly, the original Lemonade Stand game was for an Apply computer. I remember playing it on a friends computer.

Anyway, I thought I would give this game a whirl. I had a similar game for the computer and my Palm Treo, and it was fun to pass some time playing, so why not give this a shot.

The graphic a okay - nothing will "wow" you, but they suit the game perfectly well. You have static images for the various days (hot, sunny, rainy, etc) with no animation. The sound is a throwback to the original sound that eminated from a computer speaker. I couldn't decide if that was a nice touch or not. It started off sort of cool in a retro-fashion, but it got a little annoying. You can turn the sound off if you like.

You goal as a budding salesman is to simply try and sell as much lemonade, for as much profit, within a 30 day time frame. You can control how much lemonade you make, how much you charge, and how much advertising (signs) you make. The controls are simply, although a little imprecise. You use a slider bar to adjust any of the settings.

At the end of each day, you get a summary report, telling you how many glasses you sold, and how much money you made. You can change the settings each day.

In addition, you get a daily weather forecase, which should influence your decision on how much lemonade to make. Hot days, make more, rainy days, make less.

There are also random events thrown in. For some reason, in many of my games I got stuck in a thunderstorm, losing my inventory for the day. This adds a little variety into the game, so you have to be prepared.

At the end of the 30 day period, you are told how muhc money you have made. That's it, and if you want to start over, you can. You have the option of choosing "retro" graphics if you really want to go old school.

This game is very simple, and might actually be a fun way to teach a kid about economics (at least simple economics). It is also fun to sit down and play for a while, but the simplicity is both a benefit and a curse. It is a benefit simply because you don't need to invest a lot of time into the game - either to learn or to play. But it is a drawback because the game can quickly get boring.

I would like to see an option to play the "classic" mode (described above) or the version I had on my computer. In that version, your options were more complex - you could choose the location to set up your lemonade stand (and so had to base your decision on events at each location - repair work, busy work day, fair in the park, etc). In addition, you could modify your lemonade recipe (sugar, water, ice, lemons) with each component influencing the taste as well as the cost of the lemonade. Those options made the game a little more interesting, but of course it took longer to play.

Pros: Simple game to learn and pick up, brings back fond memories of retro-style games, simple graphics are still nicely done
Cons: Simple game play can get boring after a while

All in all, for $.99, if you are a fan of the old game (or just want a quick blast from the past) go ahead and pick this up. It is fun, easy to play, and might be fun for some kids as well. If you want something more complex (like the Lemonade Tycoon game I mentioned) don't get this expecting complex decision or a lot of control Three out of five stars.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW