I was surprised not to find a review here for this game, since there are over 650 reviews on the app store and this app is rated 4.5 stars.

Sorting through the vast amount of free games, I came across Lux Touch, which was last updated on September 30th. After one look at the screen shot, I knew that I had to have it.

Lux is basically an iPhone version of the classic boardgame Risk. Your objective is to take over the world by building up armies and destroying the other team's armies and taking their countries.

My impressions? Amazing. The interface is smooth and easy to use. I never had the "big finger" problem while playing the game, never tried to attack one place but ended up hitting the one next to it which I thought would be a problem. The computer AI does a good job and it looks like they have a few different play types that each AI member uses.

Bad things or improvements? Not much bad. There is no settings menu and you cannot save your game for later. Since these games tend to last 15+ minutes apiece, that could be a problem. If you are Jailbroken and you use Backgrounder, though, this problem is fixed. Also, multiplayer online or on 1 iPhone would be amazing.

Overall, it's a great game. If you enjoy the boardgame Risk, you should really like this game.
    10-15-2008 03:12 PM
    I was actually going to review this today or tomorrow, but you beat me to the punch!
    10-15-2008 03:32 PM
    I downloaded this but haven't played as of yet. Looks like I'll need to find some time to play after this review.
    10-15-2008 03:57 PM
    I was actually going to review this today or tomorrow, but you beat me to the punch!
    If you have anything to add, please do. I played this on Sunday for like 3 hours and it never got old, so I had to tell everyone about it
    10-15-2008 04:18 PM
    Okay, here is my review.

I liked the game as a basic Risk-style board conquest game. And when I say Risk-style, I should say Risk-clone. The game goard is identical, using cards is identical. The only real difference in when attacking and defending - you can't choose how many die you roll.

That said, I have to disagree about the AI on the game. I found it lacking. For example, there were many times when a player would have one "country" left on the board - but rather than attack him to get his cards, the AI would leave the player alone. Also, I question the placement of the armies at times and their choice of targets and strategies - it doesn't seem to make a lot of sense some times. I will say this, my hunch is that the different players do have different strategies (ie, fortify, rapid expansion, go for a certain country, etc).

I can usually win the game about 80% to 90% of the time. The times I don't win are usually due to bad luck at the beginning - either in the original placement of armies or when I am trying to attack someone but I just can't beat them despite superior numbers. And truthfully, a game where I can win 80 to 90% of the time isn't that interesting.

It would be GREAT if they had a multiplayer version - either by passing the iPhone around or online. It would be great if they gave you the option to select some of the many rule tweaks that exist for Risk - such as a maximum number of armies for card trade ins.

The interface is smooth and easy to use, as tuna said. I have had a couple of problems selecting the wrong country (usually when placing armies).
    10-15-2008 04:29 PM
    Darn, yours sounds better I did overlook some of the poor ai choices, but I agree sometimes their actions make no sense.

For a less skilled risk player like myself, who went 1 out of 10 in his first go round) this game is really great. I'm usually the loser in the boardgame, so it's pretty realistic in that sense.

On the App Store page for Lux they mention that this is an early version and many tweaks are to come. I would be willing to pay for this app anyway, but multiplayer would put it over the top.
    10-15-2008 05:06 PM
    I agree, if they keep updating and improving the game, it could be a winner.

I would love to see different game boards. A random game board creator would go a long way to increasing the replay-ability of the game, since you no longer "know" which continents are the best.

Chris
    10-15-2008 05:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD