Does the iPhone/iPod touch really need a gamepad?

ironcell

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
I started a thread about the iPod touch being considered the best gaming device on the market. I was totally amazed by the amount of excellent responses listing both pros/cons of iPhone/iPod touch gaming compared to Nintendo DS and Sony's PSP.

The discussion revolved mainly around controls, many pointed out because the iPod touch had no real gamepad it could never really compete with DS/PSP, while on the other side, some of you made great counter arguments that the iPod touch's controls had potential.

I was reading an article called iPhone Gaming: Play to your Strengths at OS X Reality the other day and it really got me thinking about what kind of game genres would work best on the iPhone/iPod touch and which ones would just be horrible.

So lets talk about this, what games do you think would naturally be at home on the iPhone/iPod touch and what game genres would be a disaster?

I'll kick things off, Flight Sims would be awesome on the iPhone/iPod touch, StarSmasher although it's really basic, is proof of concept that flight sims do work well with accelerometer based controls.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
All I can really say is look at the Nintendo Wii... Unique way of controlling a game and it has worked out... it will take time for developers to figure ways to use the iPhone's controls but I'm sure you will see some creative games.

mikecc

Aug 21, 2007
www.icellphonedeals.com
any games that required quick reaction are difficult to control on the iPhone. Driving game is one example. Games that are less intensive and those give you plenty of time to make your next move tend to work better for me. One example is texas hold them.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
Haven't had a problem controlling the racers, and I had to try out a lot of them for the Grand Prix final! It seems very instinctive. I was probably trying to control my old GBs like that for years!

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
Haven't had a problem controlling the racers, and I had to try out a lot of them for the Grand Prix final! It seems very instinctive. I was probably trying to control my old GBs like that for years!

Moto Chaser now 99 cents in the App Store for a limited time! Down from $9.99...

patrickbballer

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
i really dont like it how people put their stuff on sale. its not fair to those who payed the fulll price. i can understand like it its 3 months after the realeas. but some people just do it like after a week when they relize no one will by lol. w/e like i bought band for 2 bucks when people bought it for 10. geeez

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
It's a way of gaming the system. The sale moves the App up in popularity, which gets it attention, then when the price goes back up, it stays "popular" at the full price.

At least me thinks it works that way?

Zallen247

Oct 26, 2008
Visit site
Well in my opinion I am content with the virtual keyboard but it would be nice to have a physical game pad. I think that sports games and racing games would work well with the iPhone

rafayj

Oct 26, 2008
Visit site
I read in some article that iPhone is better in gaming then Nintendo DS and PSP. If thats true then a game pad is needed for sure lol. Game I would like to have is CounterStrike Lan, that would be hell of a fun.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW