Datacase by Veiosoft is a fileserver for the Iphone. It just became available last night 11:00 pm Mountain Time. I've been looking forward to its release since I have the constant need for instant viewing of MS Word documents and PDF documents. (I know...I know... you don't need Datacase to view them!)

Installation: easy- just make the purchase in the App store.

Home Screen: the Datacase donut appears. It should appear like a big creamy white donut.

There are no instructions on the screen and you'll have to go to the veiosoft website to decipher what to do. Personally, I don't have a lot of experience with FTP clients but the website claims you don't have to mess with any of this. Watching the video on the website is not much help. You can let the Iphone sit in your dock forever but it will not show up on a PC. You have to scroll down to the bottom of the website screen and there are the instructions for accessing the program via a wi-fi set up. Despite the misspellings, it works.

Set up:
    1. Turn on your wi-fi on the Iphone.
    2. Enter any password/encryption keys for the network that you're accessing. I just used my home wireless network.
    3. Go to the Datacase home screen on your Iphone. It will show you two addresses: the http address and the ftp address.
    4. Back on your pc, you must bring up the Windows Explorer (NOT the Internet explorer) and type the ftp address that is in your Iphone Datacase window (bottom of the screen).
    5. A window will pop up on your PC listing your drop box and shared files.
    6. Just drag and drop the files you want to add to Datacase.

Pluses: Once you figure out the protocol, it is easy and seamless.
    Minus: It took about an hour to figure out how to do this despite my email to Datacase- they were unresponsive. But this is understandable- they just launched a new product.

Recommendation: If you have a need to for a central repository where your Iphone can act as a wireless hard drive to store documents, then it is worthwhile. If not, just email yourself the documents. The problem though is many email servers impose an (arbitrary) limit on the size of the files that can be sent or received.
    08-12-2008 01:11 PM
    Datacase developers have posted a windows walk through video on their website. What they do not tell you is that you MUST have your wi-fi turned on in the Iphone. Once this is done you will see both an http address and the ftp address. This is what you must type into the windows explorer address bar
    08-13-2008 12:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD