Review: Dobot Todos

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
A simply to do list, a task manager, is almost a must have for any sort of PDA/smartphone. Sure, you can have things listed in a calendar, or make a memo, or something like that, but there isn't anything more satisfying that crossing off something you have done, so a to-do list is essential.

Unfortunately, the iPhone didn't come with one. But rest assured, the App developers are hard at work, and there are many options to choose from. Some incorporate multiple functions (voice recording, shopping lists, etc), but I am looking for a simply to do list manager, nothing to complex.

Enter Dobot Todos. This is exactly what I was looking for. You can create a to do list, cross items off as you do them, and go from there. But Dobot Todos offers more features, if you want to use them.

First off, you can create list categories. Dobot Todos calls them "list names", and starts with a "work" list and a "personal" list. You can add whatever else you want to create.

Within each list, to check off an item, you simply tap the empty white box, and a red check appears. You have the option of hiding completed items, or leaving them there to see what you have completed. You can also "uncheck" a completed item, in case you thought you finished something but really didn't.

When you create an item, you can assign it as either low, medium, or high priority. You can also assign a due date. Lastly, you can jot down notes about the task, in case you need to be reminded about some aspect. The default is to have no priority setting, and no due date.

When you are viewing your to do list, as I mentioned you have the option of hiding completed items. You can also choose to view items for today if you like (although this hides items that do not have a due date). You can also choose to sort items by priority, due date (items without a due date are at the end) or by creation date.

When in the list view, if the priority of an item changes, you can alter its priority setting without actually editing the to do item. The priority is indicated by blue bars (1, 2, or 3 bars) on the list view, and by tapping on the bars, you can change the priority. A handy feature to have.

All in all, this is a straightforward to do list application. The biggest plusses are the ability to sort and the ability to categorize. I wish there was some way to synchronize it, or some way to let high priority items, or items due today, appear on the calendar (or on the home page). Perhaps one of the notification icons (like with email or voice messages) indicating how many to do items you have. But for what it is, this program works great. I give it 4.5 out of 5 stars. And to make it even better, it is free!! The reviews in iTunes say it is a little buggy, but I haven't had any problems with it.

Pros: categorization of to do list items, sorting ability, simple interface

Cons: No notification or indication of how many items on your list, no synchronization

Cost: free!!

dcharles

Jul 2, 2008
Visit site
I would like the notification badging in a future version as well. One bug I recently discovered: when an item is not completed by the due date and becomes past due the due date shifts to "tomorrow"

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner