this is this most frequented section by far and I was hoping to get some insight on the approximate file size of a standard application that will be offered in the App Store. From a media standpoint, I have no reason to think I'd ever take an 8gb iPhone 3G to capacity or even close but I do plan on trying out TONS of applicaions (Crash Bandicoot Racing anyone?). I would like to be able to gauge whether or not the 8gb would suffice or if I should spring for the 16gb version for all of my app-hoarding tendencies. Any information (speculation or otherwise) is greatly appreciated.
    07-01-2008 11:12 PM
    Well, this is purely my speculation. However it'll probably hold true for the most part.

Apple set the file size limit for applications to 2 GB, and I sure hope that no application will use that much. I can only see the medical applications using close to that amount of space for high quality images etc etc.

Now as far as normal day-to-day applications are concerned, let's take for example the iPhone OS. It takes up less than half a GB of the phone's memory if I remember correctly. Even take into consideration desktop applications which are usually less than 40 MB for any given function.

As far as the average size of an iPhone application is concerned, I would guess that it will range from <1 MB to about 30 MB tops. Applications will rely more heavily upon the iPhones existing framework than foreign media that would undoubtedly take up more room.

Don't hold me to this guess, however, as I'm not a developer for the iPhone by any means.
    07-02-2008 12:56 AM
    Aloha BaLLi5t1c,

Depending on your usage, 8GB can be a bit too small. Even though I normally have 2-3 movies, a nice-sized music library, a couple hundred pics, and a few jailbroken apps, I still have to manage my 8GB 1st gen iPhone's available storage. If you can spring for another $100, you'd be nuts NOT to get the 16GB iPhone. Each time I upgrade to the newest iPhone, I plan on getting the model with the most available storage, even if I don't plan on using all of it. I sync my iPhone every day anyway, so it's not too hard to manage its content.

For example, on my drive to and from work, which takes about an hour each way, I listen to several different podcasts. These change on a daily, weekly, or other basis, so I have to manage at least that playlist every morning, making any other adjustment to my iPhone's content a bit easier. Still, it would be nice if I had twice the available storage as i currently enjoy.

HawaiiMacAddict
    07-02-2008 02:48 AM
    Thanks a bunch for the quick responses guys. I'm definitely leaning towards the 16 gb. I actually have some extra cash put back as of now and I think it would be a worthwhile investment just to be on the safe side.

One more question, is it confirmed that they'll have the 16 gig in both Black and White? I know the 8 gig only comes in Black which happens to be the color I want but I wasn't 100 percent on the 16 gig.

Again, thanks for the information. I knew signing up to this forum would be a good idea. :-D
    07-02-2008 08:39 AM
    Yup, 16GB is your choice, black or white.
    07-03-2008 10:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD