Aloha everyone,

I'm a relatively unsophisticated cell phone user - I primarily used them in the past to, ummm, place calls. I've gotten really used to the various apps on both the locked and jailbroken versions of the current iPhone. Some of the apps that run on jailbroken iPhones are really nice, but they do require the jailbreak thing.

What kind of apps would you like to see and how many apps do you think will be offered on iDay Take 2? I know that the iSolitaire game passes the time when I have to wait on my wife. I also like the customized themes, although I think the Apple has not allowed access that deeply into Mac OS X on the iPhone.

I would hope that Apple populates the App Store with at least 40 to 50 apps, but with only two sets of developers even in the iFund program, I'm not sure if we'll have anywhere close to that many. Apparently, Apple is allowing apps to be submitted for the App Store, but who knows how many apps will actually be there when iPhone Firmware 2.0 is released.

HawaiiMacAddict
    06-29-2008 11:19 PM
    I know this is stupid.. but I MUST have a tip calculator on board. I know there are web apps for this but I want it as an on board app.

I would also like some sort of advanced e-reader. I want a Kindle but see no need for the device if the iPhone could do much of what the Kindle does. I would love to read some cheesy book while waiting for appointments... or whenever I have down time. (A deep novel would not be desirable as I like to curl up in bed and really read a book.. but for fluff books this would be nice).

I would like to see an MMS app if one is not made available out of the box.
    I would like to see Adobe Flash (as it does not seem to be coming out of the box) as an app to download in the future.

Can someone please come up with a voice dial app that can be triggered by one button??? I would pay good money for that.

OOOOOOOOOO and I would love to see this: the app lets you choose your favorite grocery store and as you make your grocery list it organizes it by aisle. I hate when I make a grocery list on a scrap of paper and don't organize it... of course when I get to the end of the store and think I am done I have to back track to get that one thing I forgot on aisle one.

I am sure I can think of more... but for now.. I'm good.
    06-29-2008 11:27 PM
    I would also like some sort of advanced e-reader. I want a Kindle but see no need for the device if the iPhone could do much of what the Kindle does. I would love to read some cheesy book while waiting for appointments... or whenever I have down time. (A deep novel would not be desirable as I like to curl up in bed and really read a book.. but for fluff books this would be nice).
    I'm all over that with you - I suspect this request will be fulfilled pretty quickly. eReader is producing an iPhone Version as we speak. I'm sure others will follow.

I would like to see an iPhone version of SlingPlayer Mobile.
    06-30-2008 08:07 AM

I would like to see an iPhone version of SlingPlayer Mobile.
    But then I would HAVE to buy a Slingbox.... oh darn.
    06-30-2008 01:23 PM
    I want to see an application that replaces MobileMe to a certain extent. I don't really want to pay $99 a year on top of the cost of the AT&T service plan.
    06-30-2008 01:44 PM
    I want to see an application that replaces MobileMe to a certain extent. I don't really want to pay $99 a year on top of the cost of the AT&T service plan.
    I want that too!!! (Why do I get the feeling that apps are going to cost more than my phone by the time I am through?)
    06-30-2008 02:14 PM
    I want the app selection to be free from the massive amounts of cr@pware out there. I dont want to have to browse 100's of app titles of the same thing. Hopefully the cost of being a developer for the appstore will keep that to a minimum. The apps I want for my yet to be purchased 3G, Video recording, MMS and Yahoo IM apps.
    06-30-2008 02:33 PM
    I like all of h22kai's ideas, but I would not buy any app unless it was absolutely necessary. If it's not free, I can do without it!! I especially don't like the idea of MobileMe. I will manually sync with my PC!!
    06-30-2008 02:34 PM
    Exchange service hosting, like MobileMe isn't so much an app as it is a third-party service. You can, however, find free Exchange service hosts, although none of them do as much as MobileMe.
    06-30-2008 04:12 PM
    i would like to see apps for
    flikr
    pandora
    lastfm
    mint
    delicious
    twitter
    and multi media aps
    07-01-2008 04:20 AM
    How about an alarm app that let's you pick a song or playlist to wake up to. Also maybe a sleep timer feature for listening to music at night say set a 15 min timer and after that it stops playing whatever playlist its on. Those two things would make it so I could stop using my other alarm clock and could rely on the iPhone soley.
    07-01-2008 04:53 AM
    Don't know if said already, but free vnc, back to my mack type app with file transfer and streaming media would be nice!

Also a true video recorder or video ichat client, even if a mirror or hardware peripheral would be required would be fine by me...

And obviously a real flash update to safari...but I'm dreaming
    07-01-2008 08:03 AM
    I'd like to see the following:
    iSilo
    Twinkle
    Splashmoney or money app to sync with iBank
    App for A2DP
    Slingmobile
    07-01-2008 08:53 AM
    Aloha everyone,

Thanks for all the responses, and the resulting discussion. I see a lot of you want to see some sort of video capability for the iPhone. Wouldn't filesize be a concern with respect to the resulting video files? Of course, hat's assuming that a camera with better resolution was installed in the first place. I agree that the camera isn't quite "up to snuff" when compared to other handsets, but I have a DSLR myself, and don't use my iPhone as a camera very much. Actually, I use my iPhone for its cell phone, iPod, and internet functions the most, but if my extremely brief Mac history serves up anything, it's a reminder to myself that Mac developers are brilliant, and that they will think up ways to use the iPhone of which I would never have conceived myself. I am studying Xcode/Objective-C and hope to join their ranks, but I'm still very much at the base of the mountain looking and wondering how long it will take me to get to the summit

HawaiiMacAddict
    07-01-2008 12:37 PM
    I need LogMeIn for Safari. Considering that Mobile Safari could support "Plug-ins" according to the Settings page, I'm hoping someone at 3AM Labs will pull through and create an iPhone applet for that.
    07-03-2008 09:05 AM
    Top of my list is definitely a WordPress Native App. When I heard that TypePad was featured at WWDC, I was rather disappointed. After that, though it's a little childish, I would really like a decent Tetris. Is that really too much to ask? I didn't think so.
    07-03-2008 04:00 PM
    Does anyone know how much that Super Monkey Ball will cost? My friend has it for her GameCube or something and it's really fun.

Also, will you need an iTunes account to purchase things from the App Store? Or can it be billed to your carrier's account?
    07-03-2008 05:03 PM
    i would like to see apps for
    flikr
    pandora
    lastfm
    mint
    delicious
    twitter
    and multi media aps
    *nod* and h22kai's grocery list app is an interesting but ingenious idea...if only grocery stores wouldn't move stuff around so much, specials moving all over the store in the corners and everywhere.

And I think super Monkey Ball was $10, or somewhere in that range. If you wanna know I'm pretty sure it was in that 2 hour long WWDC08 keynote, lol.
    07-03-2008 10:20 PM
    Aloha everyone,

In line with h22kai's grocery list idea, I have a slightly different approach. As long as everyone plays "nice", I can see a shopping center or mall offering free wifi for their stores (ie., not allowing outside, or internet, access) to show their specials or aisle listings. In other words, you could walk around from store to store and point your iPhone to a specific web page to get their information. This would not just be for specials, however - imaging other service providers, such as movie theaters, displaying their showtimes, occupancy for specific movies, etc... During Christmas, the mall could also update its Santa Claus schedule, for those with children. The possibilities are rather enticing.

Of course, this may not fly, but it would be an interesting way to get iPhone and iPod touch users to better plan their shopping excursions. One of the largest issues is the free WiFi access - who do you think would have to pay for that? Imagine this combined with a to-do list, on which you have specific items you wish to purchase. You could then compare the prices between the stores relatively easily, especially if those capabilities were combined into one app. Of course, not all stores may want to put their prices on a common website, but as everything is already on a computer system anyway (as seeing as how it is just data), it shouldn't be too difficult to retrieve said data for display on the iPhone.

HawaiiMacAddict
    07-05-2008 03:34 PM
    I want the app selection to be free from the massive amounts of cr@pware out there. I dont want to have to browse 100's of app titles of the same thing. Hopefully the cost of being a developer for the appstore will keep that to a minimum.
    I don't know if the cost will do this, but I think that Apple will. I think they're going to be pretty tight with their application review policy. My guess is we'll see a lot of applications getting rejected. Apple's goal of a super user-friendly app store could be messed up by way too many applications.

Speaking of rejected applications, take a look at this: TripLog/1040 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!. Awful.
    07-05-2008 05:27 PM
    Does anyone know how much that Super Monkey Ball will cost? My friend has it for her GameCube or something and it's really fun.

Also, will you need an iTunes account to purchase things from the App Store? Or can it be billed to your carrier's account?
    1. $9.99

2. Yes you do need a iTunes account. It can not be billed to your account. The app store has nothing to do with At&t. It's strictly a Apple thing.
    07-05-2008 05:34 PM
    The only sad part is that there are some applications that do not follow the apple guidelines and cannot be published in their store.
    07-06-2008 03:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD