What GPS Apps do you want to see?

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Yup. This is kind of out there. But it would be nice if we could download groups of points of interest (e.g. Retail stores, malls, sporting arenas, etc.). If there is in fact and option to do this, then I except a new version of iTunes.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I tend to think there won't be stored databases. Google doesn't go that way with its apps (usually), and the on-board memory isn't, technically, entirely perfect for that.

When I said HSDPA, remember it falls back to Edge when necessary, and that works too.

As an experiment, though, I just wrote a dopey little program that lets me take pre-stored coordinates and pop them up on the google maps app. So third parties could add this sort of thing (but you'd have to go to the main screen, click on the third party program, and say "show me something," at which point it would fire up the google maps application.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I tend to think there won't be stored databases. Google doesn't go that way with its apps (usually),
But will Google be the only app with access to the GPS (presuming there is GPS!)?

and the on-board memory isn't, technically, entirely perfect for that.
That doesn't sound good. Care to explain?

When I said HSDPA, remember it falls back to Edge when necessary, and that works too.
Not out in the sticks around here though - GPRS if you're lucky, no signal at all if you're not. 3G coverage is better than EDGE coverage in the UK (even on O2).

As an experiment, though, I just wrote a dopey little program that lets me take pre-stored coordinates and pop them up on the google maps app. So third parties could add this sort of thing (but you'd have to go to the main screen, click on the third party program, and say "show me something," at which point it would fire up the google maps application.
Thanks for trying that. Again though, will it be only Google maps? Given that Android will be a direct competitor (and Google might well keep the best bits for the app on its own OS - I think that's already been intimated for street view) I could see Apple being keen to have other third-party mapping apps on the device.

kevinbell

Jun 9, 2008
Visit site
Buddy list with alert!!

Have a buddy list and it alerts you when they are within a mile of you and shows them on the map! That would be cool. Not so cool if you are meeting your mistress/girlfriend and wife is a "buddy"... ; P

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
But will Google be the only app with access to the GPS (presuming there is GPS!)?

That doesn't sound good. Care to explain?

Not out in the sticks around here though - GPRS if you're lucky, no signal at all if you're not. 3G coverage is better than EDGE coverage in the UK (even on O2).

Thanks for trying that. Again though, will it be only Google maps? Given that Android will be a direct competitor (and Google might well keep the best bits for the app on its own OS - I think that's already been intimated for street view) I could see Apple being keen to have other third-party mapping apps on the device.

Couple of updates on this. Turns out third parties can do it w/o firing up google maps as an external app; some nice dude wrote a UIView subclassed object for maps.

Reason I bring it up is that, theoretically, it could be further subclassed to use any third party mapping software that's available via the web. In other words, the third party presents the interface, but the web provides the actual map. (Third party can superimpose stuff over it).

Ideally, however, the already-existing application would be modified to allow more third-party interactivity, much like the existing google-maps api that works on the web.

anon(4661222)

May 30, 2008
Visit site
How about a "What's Open" app. Based on business hours entered into Google Maps/Business directory, and your current location and time, you see what's open so you don't have to navigate to each bar, restaurant, etc. website to check.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I wonder if tomtom will be selling their software in the app store.
I enjoyed it on my treo 750. Would definetly look into getting it for the iPhone especially if you could load/buy certain maps in the app store so if you only wanted one state or a group of states it would cost less and not take up so much memory. Or you could buy them all and just load certain states through iTunes... Not sure that's possible but would be nice.
Go TomTom. It is one of only two apps that I still use on my Treo. The other is the ebook reader. I want to buy ebooks in the Apple Store.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
TomTom you say? Looks like you are in luck. TomTom is bringing their software to the iPhone 3G: http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2008/06/10/tomtom-navigation-software-coming-to-iphone/
That's good news but there are still lots of unanswered questions, especially:

1) Have/will Apple let them into the Developer program?

2) Will TomTom keep working when a phone call comes in or allow background music playback (not so fussed about the latter, the former is essential)?

3) Will we be able to add POIs like we do with TomTom PNDs or TomTom software on other phones?

I do hope the answers are yes.

patcom8

Jun 5, 2008
Visit site
ATT wont allow it.

I have a feeling all of these dreams for free GPS spoken turn by turn directions is going to be merely a dream. I have a Blackberry and AT&T only offers Telnav as the software which cna be used for turn by turn directions, and is an additional $10 a month for unlimited service. I think that apple needs to give a littel elbow jab to AT&T and say, you need to let these people use whatever turn by turn software you choose. Its going to be a bloody battle. :eek:

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I have a feeling all of these dreams for free GPS spoken turn by turn directions is going to be merely a dream. I have a Blackberry and AT&T only offers Telnav as the software which cna be used for turn by turn directions, and is an additional $10 a month for unlimited service. I think that apple needs to give a littel elbow jab to AT&T and say, you need to let these people use whatever turn by turn software you choose. Its going to be a bloody battle. :eek:

Really than why can I use TomTom on my treo750 through at&t? All it is is a 3rd party app that uses the gps chip. And if the gps is open to the devs which it will be than how can at&t say/do anything about it. Right now it looks like tomtom has software for wm and palm but just not bb and here's to hoping that they are let into the app store.

As far as getting a phone call is concerned I wonder how they will be able to work that because I would love to be able to do both at the same time but if not it could at least save your route in memory then bring it right back once you open it back up.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Really than why can I use TomTom on my treo750 through at&t? All it is is a 3rd party app that uses the gps chip. And if the gps is open to the devs which it will be than how can at&t say/do anything about it. Right now it looks like tomtom has software for wm and palm but just not bb and here's to hoping that they are let into the app store.

As far as getting a phone call is concerned I wonder how they will be able to work that because I would love to be able to do both at the same time but if not it could at least save your route in memory then bring it right back once you open it back up.
I think that burnsaa is viewing with unwarranted concern. The only difference between running TomTom on the 3G and and running on the Treo is that the Treo must get its positioning data via Bluetooth (or cable) from an external GPS device (mine is a Holux, about the size of a pack of chewing gum, and most of that is battery.) The iPhone 3G has its own on-board GPS chip.

There is little to compare TomTom 3G to TelNav on AT&T phones. The TelNav application runs in the network. It may use an on-board GPS chip if the phone has one but does not rely upon it. If there is no on-board chip, the TelNav application will get location data from the local cell. This solution is much less precise than with an on-board GPS.

The TelNav solution is sold as a service, which runs on a server, while TomTom is sold as software and maps that will run on the iPhone 3G. Sparse users of navigation may prefer the pay-as-you-go service while habitual users may prefer the investment in software. The AT&T/TelNav solution will run, w/o modification or porting to, on the iPhone 3G. TomTom is quoted by Reuters as saying they already have their software running on the iPhone and that they intend to offer it as a product.

One last distinction is that the TelNav solution does not require on-board storage for maps and points-of-interest. The TomTom One uses a total of 2gigs of storage for the software and all the navigation data for the US and Canada. I use less than that on my Treo but must manage the data. While TomTom periodically updates their maps, your maps may not be as current as the TelNav maps.

In any case, AT&T cannot resist, or charge me for, my use of TomTom or any other on-board application. There will be no blood, only normal competition between solutions with different advantages.

Last edited:

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I agree at&t has no say over what software we use that was my point I was responding to patcom8 comment about apple not letting him use anything other than telanav on his BB. And yes I do use a BT GPS reciever on the treo and also was able to fit the program and all US maps onto a 1 gig flash card.
As far as tomtom not having as up to date maps that is true but they are discussing the option of giving free updates to maps for the life of your phone for other platforms so hopefully they do the same with the iPhone.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
Excellent question about the phone call. What if you are driving and you suddenly get a phone call? Do you answer the call and get lost or ignore the call and miss something important?