After reading about some of the features that the Dash Express in-car GPS system has, I would love to be able to highlight an address in Outlook, Safari, Firefox, etc. and have it be able to send it to the GPS application in real time, over the air. I doubt Apple would be willing to write and release a bunch of plugins to enable this, however.

There is one application that has me drooling just thinking about it: a geocaching application. Having real-time updates, never having to plug in a GPS receiver to the computer, being able to log finds while out in the field . . . the iPhone could end up being the best geocaching tool ever devised.
    06-04-2008 02:34 PM
    I'm a fan of GPS on my phone - my Tilt and Blackjack 2 have internal GPS, and it works great. I travel frequently for business, so having GPS is a great tool when I'm in an unfamiliar city. I'm not a fan of data-required apps that download maps OTA as you progress like the carrier navigation software such as TeleNav. I'm hoping for TomTom or similar to be released that I can load onto the internal memory so I don't have to rely on the network to download maps.
    06-04-2008 04:44 PM
    You said you don't like downloading maps over-the-air as you go. But Google Maps on the iPhone is free (other than the $20 a month for data). Purchasing maps for GPS receivers (on DVD or SD card) usually cost over $100, they only get updated once per year, and you have to pay every year to upgrade. Having free, continuously updated maps from Google is incredibly useful and a great value!
    06-04-2008 04:51 PM
    You said you don't like downloading maps over-the-air as you go. But Google Maps on the iPhone is free (other than the $20 a month for data). Purchasing maps for GPS receivers (on DVD or SD card) usually cost over $100, they only get updated once per year, and you have to pay every year to upgrade. Having free, continuously updated maps from Google is incredibly useful and a great value!
    Google maps is not a good turn by turn navigator. I like using it to locate stores or addresses, but for driving, I prefer actual software. Also, when did I ever say cost was an issue? Google maps is not suitable for turn by turn navigation IMO.
    06-04-2008 04:56 PM
    I'd like to see the weather widget tie into GPS, so when you start it, it gives the weather based on your current location.
    06-08-2008 12:01 PM
    Hmm. Interesting idea, but it would violate the HIGs; you're supposed to start on the screen you left off on. However, adding an automatic location to the list ("my current position") would be cool.
    06-08-2008 12:06 PM
    I don't know how exact the GPS will be but if it could know where you are down to the foot or so, then I would love to be able to use it to navigate malls or even larger stores, like Target or Lowes.

There are so many times when I'm only looking to go and buy on thing at a large store but I have to walk around the whole store just to find it.
    06-08-2008 01:03 PM
    I don't know how exact the GPS will be but if it could know where you are down to the foot or so, then I would love to be able to use it to navigate malls or even larger stores, like Target or Lowes.

There are so many times when I'm only looking to go and buy on thing at a large store but I have to walk around the whole store just to find it.
    Unfortunately GPS doesn't work so well indoors (mostly it doesn't work at all) because the transmissions from the satellites are blocked by the building. I guess if the mall had a glass ceiling the receiver might find a satellite or two but with current technology satellite-based location basically seems like a none starter for this.
    06-08-2008 01:56 PM
    I wonder if the iPhone is going to be able to display points of interest instead of just GPS directions. I have a plain portable GPS system that only carries several hundred thousand points of interest, hardly worth it. I would like the GPS app to point to all the local favorites (food, hotel, gas, etc.).
    06-08-2008 01:57 PM
    For locating buildings outside GPS can certainly be accurate enough. The TomTom receiver I use (which has a sensitive SiRFstar III chip) is seems to be accurate to within a few feet.
    06-08-2008 01:59 PM
    I wonder if the iPhone is going to be able to display points of interest instead of just GPS directions. I have a plain portable GPS system that only carries several hundred thousand points of interest, hardly worth it. I would like the GPS app to point to all the local favorites (food, hotel, gas, etc.).
    Agreed. The ability to load databases of points of interest is an absolute requirement (for me). Speed cameras especially!
    06-08-2008 02:04 PM
    Agreed. The ability to load databases of points of interest is an absolute requirement (for me). Speed cameras especially!
    Don't think "load databases." Think "query the internet over HSDPA to find and overlay interesting things."
    06-08-2008 02:42 PM
    Don't think "load databases." Think "query the internet over HSDPA to find and overlay interesting things."
    Or like modern GPS systems that stores points of interests on the on board memory.
    06-08-2008 02:47 PM
    Another idea I was thinking of would be like "lo-jack" for your iPhone, so if you lose it or it's gets stolen they would be able to track it and get it back. I'm not sure who should have the ability to track it though?
    06-08-2008 02:48 PM
    That might be fine if you're looking for a nice place for a margarita but if I'm in the car in the middle of nowhere I really want a 100% reliable system telling me there's a speed camera around the corner (because cameras indicate high risk areas, not because I'm speeding, obviously). HSDPA in rural Norfolk? Not for a while think.
    06-08-2008 02:52 PM
    Or like modern GPS systems that stores points of interests on the on board memory.
    That's what I'm saying. Stored, not downloaded on the fly. Exactly like the TomTom software I use now in fact.
    06-08-2008 02:55 PM
    Yup. This is kind of out there. But it would be nice if we could download groups of points of interest (e.g. Retail stores, malls, sporting arenas, etc.). If there is in fact and option to do this, then I except a new version of iTunes.
    06-08-2008 02:58 PM
    I tend to think there won't be stored databases. Google doesn't go that way with its apps (usually), and the on-board memory isn't, technically, entirely perfect for that.

When I said HSDPA, remember it falls back to Edge when necessary, and that works too.

As an experiment, though, I just wrote a dopey little program that lets me take pre-stored coordinates and pop them up on the google maps app. So third parties could add this sort of thing (but you'd have to go to the main screen, click on the third party program, and say "show me something," at which point it would fire up the google maps application.
    06-08-2008 03:47 PM
    I would like a Rugged gps that is accurate, good enough to use in the woods.
    06-08-2008 11:53 PM
    I want to press something that says "follow me" and have my route recorded.
    06-09-2008 09:28 AM
    I want to press something that says "follow me" and have my route recorded.
    given recent additions to the sdk, that will be easy (but power-sucking, depending on how often you want to update).
    06-09-2008 09:33 AM
    I tend to think there won't be stored databases. Google doesn't go that way with its apps (usually),
    But will Google be the only app with access to the GPS (presuming there is GPS!)?

and the on-board memory isn't, technically, entirely perfect for that.
    That doesn't sound good. Care to explain?

When I said HSDPA, remember it falls back to Edge when necessary, and that works too.
    Not out in the sticks around here though - GPRS if you're lucky, no signal at all if you're not. 3G coverage is better than EDGE coverage in the UK (even on O2).

As an experiment, though, I just wrote a dopey little program that lets me take pre-stored coordinates and pop them up on the google maps app. So third parties could add this sort of thing (but you'd have to go to the main screen, click on the third party program, and say "show me something," at which point it would fire up the google maps application.
    Thanks for trying that. Again though, will it be only Google maps? Given that Android will be a direct competitor (and Google might well keep the best bits for the app on its own OS - I think that's already been intimated for street view) I could see Apple being keen to have other third-party mapping apps on the device.
    06-09-2008 09:44 AM
    Have a buddy list and it alerts you when they are within a mile of you and shows them on the map! That would be cool. Not so cool if you are meeting your mistress/girlfriend and wife is a "buddy"... ; P
    06-09-2008 11:57 AM
    But will Google be the only app with access to the GPS (presuming there is GPS!)?

That doesn't sound good. Care to explain?

Not out in the sticks around here though - GPRS if you're lucky, no signal at all if you're not. 3G coverage is better than EDGE coverage in the UK (even on O2).

Thanks for trying that. Again though, will it be only Google maps? Given that Android will be a direct competitor (and Google might well keep the best bits for the app on its own OS - I think that's already been intimated for street view) I could see Apple being keen to have other third-party mapping apps on the device.
    Couple of updates on this. Turns out third parties can do it w/o firing up google maps as an external app; some nice dude wrote a UIView subclassed object for maps.

Reason I bring it up is that, theoretically, it could be further subclassed to use any third party mapping software that's available via the web. In other words, the third party presents the interface, but the web provides the actual map. (Third party can superimpose stuff over it).

Ideally, however, the already-existing application would be modified to allow more third-party interactivity, much like the existing google-maps api that works on the web.
    06-09-2008 12:12 PM
    How about a "What's Open" app. Based on business hours entered into Google Maps/Business directory, and your current location and time, you see what's open so you don't have to navigate to each bar, restaurant, etc. website to check.
    06-09-2008 12:27 PM
103 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD