Requests for Apps Here!

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I'm about mid-way through my second application using the official SDK, and if stuff works as well on the actual devices as it does on the simulator, things are going well.

I was wondering what sort of apps people might be interested in? I figure there will be a million to-do lists, password keepers, VNC and IM applications. Adding cut-and-paste, or other requests that involv modifying the behavior of built-in programs, are not practical. So I'm particularly interested in the next tier of requested applications.

So far, the two apps I've (mostly) done are a game that I like to play and an app for my wife (it stores and graphs a particular type of data). Sidenote: I'm being vague, because I don't want to give 100,000 other developers any ideas :)

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Main problem I see with that is that it couldn't update itself unless it was actually in the foreground (yet another example of the SDK restrictions getting in the way).

WatersWest

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I'm not sure how "close to the metal" the SDK allows you to get, so you may not be able to do this .... and perhaps the big boys like Microsoft are already tackling this issue, but I'd like to see a way to sync files on my desktop with files on the phone (a la Windows Mobile and ActiveSync).

tschertz01

Mar 11, 2008
Visit site
It's not a very glamorous app idea but with the price of gas being what it is, I'd really love to see some sort of fuel log type of app on the iPhone. One that could be used to track multiple vehicles, find your location, and then search the web for the cheapest gas near you. It could provide graphs showing your milage results and probably could be expanded to track other type of automotive expenses. Don't know if the SDK allows for this but if the data could be exported it could be very valuable for fleet managers.
I'd build it myself if I had one iota of programming skills.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is possible but I would love a program that could play divx files.

Also have you thought about what you are going to sell your apps for just trying to get an idea of how much I will be paying for games and what not. Also let us know when you put em up on the app store so we can check em out.

Last edited:

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
OBDII vehicle diagnostics. You would also need a cable to plug in from a car's diagnostic port to the iphone but this would be very neat.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I'm not sure if this is possible but I would love a program that could play divx files.

Also have you thought about what you are going to sell your apps for just trying to get an idea of how much I will be paying for games and what not. Also let us know when you put em up on the app store so we can check em out.

Less than $4 was my plan. Mostly in the $1.99 to $2.99 range. These are "casual" games (but, I think, done fairly nicely :)

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
OBDII vehicle diagnostics. You would also need a cable to plug in from a car's diagnostic port to the iphone but this would be very neat.

Tricky since we have no access to the dock connector from software (I have a feeling that's a separate licensing situation).

isitnyu

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
i dont know if its possible but to develop an app like ESPN up to date highlights and news. From there you would be able to download and view highlights of games, look at stats for fantasy teams and be able to organize what teams are your favorite. And possibly the sportscenter podcast from each day??

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
i dont know if its possible but to develop an app like ESPN up to date highlights and news. From there you would be able to download and view highlights of games, look at stats for fantasy teams and be able to organize what teams are your favorite. And possibly the sportscenter podcast from each day??

quite possibly illegal; i'd be likely violating espn's copyrights (with respect to podcasts and highlights). Stats is fair game, of course, though there are legal implications to scraping another site to obtain them, and I'd probably have to pay license fees.

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ESPN fantasy manager

I'd second this! and third it as well! I'd easily pay $2.99, $3.99 or even $4.99 for an easy to use ESPN SportsCenter app with fantasy league management capabilities. Now we're talking.

carsly

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
quite possibly illegal; i'd be likely violating espn's copyrights (with respect to podcasts and highlights). Stats is fair game, of course, though there are legal implications to scraping another site to obtain them, and I'd probably have to pay license fees.
...or you could build the core app and then license it to ESPN, Yahoo or whomever coughed up the cash thereby mitigating any liability, helping jump-start their mobile ventures and providing a nice revenue stream for yourself.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
  • Custom EQ, allowing settings from iTunes to be ported over.
  • RSS reader
  • Texas hold 'em
  • Some sort of multi-chat support client (I'm even okay if I can't run it in the background)
  • Photo-booth esque effects to use with the camera
  • Twitter client
  • Youtube video downloader (I'm not sure if MxTube will be ported over to 2.0)
  • Themes/Summerboard (I'm not sure if Apple has clarified if this will be allowed with the SDK)

That's all I can think of for now!

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
@reaktor5 -

i've put one of your suggestions on my list. i think several others are in the works by others, and a couple are impossible given the current state of the sdk/restrictions.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Seems like a popular request. Personally I'm a baseball guy :) I need to figure out how to do it without breaking any laws.

gludington

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
My main request would be an offline RSS reader, that obtains new feeds automatically (push or pull, do not care, as long as I do not have to initiate every attempt) when I am connected, and keeps the feed content locally, to give me something to read even when I have no coverage. I am not sure how possible this is, given the "no background process" aspect of the SDK, because I do not know if the push notification service would be enough. Still, the lack of something like viigo seems like a gaping hole in the software lineup.

Redcooper02

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
Application

I'd like an application that would allow me to VERY easily create a form for any type of situation. It should allow for multimedia (a picture) and make use of the GPS (the local significance of the subject of the form, or any of it's contents for example). It should have check boxes, drop downs, email ability, and tie in to ical.

It should be the most simple data input method since the pencil & paper. :eek:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234