When Apple releases its SDK later this month, what applications are you most looking forward to? Click on the link below to repond to a poll I discovered:

Go to the Poll

Lets help drive developers to create what we want.
    02-24-2008 01:38 AM
    That is easy.

Cut and Paste.
    02-24-2008 11:45 AM
    LOL

Buy our "cut and paste" app...19.95..
    02-24-2008 12:07 PM
    cardfan,

Yes, a charge for that would be priceless.
    02-24-2008 01:37 PM
    I want a "messanger." And I want it instantly.

Actually, I want slingplayer.
    02-24-2008 10:46 PM
    I want a call recorder and editable office documents.

Then maybe I could actually switch.
    02-25-2008 11:54 AM
    I had editable office documents on my palm for years and used it exactly once.

I want better viewing of office documents. For example, a word document with track changes gets all screwed up on iphone.
    02-25-2008 12:11 PM
    I had editable office documents on my palm for years and used it exactly once.

I want better viewing of office documents. For example, a word document with track changes gets all screwed up on iphone.
    I track my mileage for my work vehicle daily, as well as use various spreadsheets with scientific formulas at least a few times a week. I also have court testimony counts, and a case logfile I update routinely, and then sync to my computer.

I don't care how good it looks, I just need it to function, and to be able to function in areas where there is no data connection, so it has to be a local function.

Now that may never happen, and I have to admit that after playing with my wife's iPhone since Christmas, I'm less than impressed, so I can certainly wait.
    02-25-2008 10:22 PM
    I like instant messangers.
    02-27-2008 02:10 AM
    Let's see...

1. internet radio..and hopefully EDGE is good enough..

2. GAMES! Something like bejeweled, chess, is all i'm wanting..not web2.0 but decent apps.

3. A file explorer type program where you can make use of the storage.

4. Email addon where you can attach files, delete multiple items, etc.

5. splash ID or similar

6. and yes..cut and paste..lol

7. slingbox
    02-27-2008 01:52 PM
    Cardfan,

1. You, sir, have obviously never been under the yolk of Canadian data "rates". Dark of night, we whisper tales of $2000 bills for daring even try internet radio. Seriously, though, I've been streaming audio and video via MobileSafari's QT engine over Wi-Fi and it's worked beautifully.

5. 1Password would rock the iPhone (It kicked SplashID off my computer). They've already got a crazy Javascript workaround to inject saved passwords into MobileSafari but an integrated app like they have now on the desktop would be perfect.

7. See 1.

What I'd like, and mentioned in another thread, is a Logitech-killer wifi remote control for Front Row, iTunes, Apple TV etc. devices.
    02-29-2008 07:42 PM
    Well i know not about the $2000 bills..but i just mean something similar to pockettunes on the treo that streams radio. I'll even use the centro at times because of this. It's done over EVDO. I'm not usually near a wifi spot unless i'm home.

I suppose i might try using the safari browser to see if it'll stream at sites..haven't tried that.

5. yeah i'm all for a password app of any kind. Doesn't have to be splash. It seems every day i'm asked to supply a userid and password for something..

Now slingbox i would think has to be run over wifi til they get a 3G phone.
    03-01-2008 12:06 PM
    Macworld's list:

http://www.macworld.com/article/1323...phoneapps.html

Amazon Kindle client
    Photobooth
    Screenshot
    Digital level (plum line)
    Airfoil
    Unit Converter
    Blogging client
    Finger paint
    Radio client
    Better calc
    Dictionary/thesaurus
    Video player
    Twitter client
    Photo editor
    Flickr uploader
    PDF/Comic viewer
    RSS reader
    VoIP
    VNC
    Voice notes
    Sling Player
    Text Expander/macro
    Wifi iTunes controller
    Doc editor
    AIM client
    To Dos
    03-03-2008 09:36 PM
    the ability to delete more than one email message at a time
    03-04-2008 06:29 PM
    Real satnav. Like this:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=S5mIyhJ5YJU

- via PocketGPSWorld:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/module...wtopic&t=64948

Of course it's not completely clear from the video how far iGo have actually got, or if indeed the video is really of an iGo product at all.
    03-05-2008 04:38 AM
    MMS would be nice, although I've lived without it for the past 4 Windows Mobile devices I've owned thru Sprint and I'm still alive. But yeah, it would be nice.
    03-07-2008 01:29 PM
    anything that can read office documents and pdf.
    03-08-2008 05:01 PM
    Did you mean "read," Mike? Because it can already do that (except for powerpoint, though that's included in the 2.0 version of the OS.)

I just finished my first iphone-native application using the official SDK. Amazingly simple to write pretty complex applications, especially given that my objective-C is not the greatest (I'm a longtime c++ programmer, however).

For those of you who remember the big virtual memory discussion, turns out the iphone DOES have virtual memory. It operates a bit differently from the desktop version, though, so you are limited to physical memory space.
    03-09-2008 03:10 PM
    I meant read and edit. Another feature I want to see on Safari is the ability to play flash and non-youtube video, like those always shown on Yahoo's homepage.
    03-09-2008 06:14 PM
    i expect Opera or someone will port a new web browser and add flash if it's not possible to add a flash plugin to mobile safari.
    03-09-2008 11:49 PM

For those of you who remember the big virtual memory discussion, turns out the iphone DOES have virtual memory. It operates a bit differently from the desktop version, though, so you are limited to physical memory space.
    You cmaier, were one of those (surur and mikec too of course) that berated me for stating what everyone will now be seeing with the SDK.

And so you will also see that it does indeed have 1GB of RAM, but not for the virtual memory as you typically think of it, as you just stated. It is memory that actually lets the thing compile on the fly and store the stuff there.

But of course I'll never get an apology. I just get banned.
    03-10-2008 02:36 AM
    You mis-remember, Archie. I stated all along that there was virtual memory, and I was opposed by Surur and others. I don't think I've ever agreed with Surur about much of anything.

There is no "compile on the fly." GCC 4 is used to compile on the desktop. Perhaps you are using "compile" in a less technical sense?

And you get banned not for your positions on things, but for making personal insults.
    03-10-2008 09:39 AM
    In response to me you had said:
    An 8:1 cache to RAM ratio would be unheard of (but would prove there is VM - otherwise 7/8 of that memory would at all times be empty).

And any on-chip memory would have to be cache (particularly since otherwise there is no point added the 128MB external memory).

Archie, as usual, makes no sense, but his pedantic tone is at least amusing.
    Then on the next page of that thread I had said:
    it was I that was derided and discounted for being the first to say that the iPhone would be easy to use one-handed... ...I'll stop tooting my own horn now but it seems I was right about a great many things.
    To which you respond:
    And wrong about so many more.

Anyway... in regards to the compiling on the fly, I was speaking of the JIT which that Apple uses which only places the code necessary into memory. Extremely efficient. Small footprint. No paging.
    03-11-2008 11:03 PM
    And you get banned not for your positions on things, but for making personal insults.
    If I get banned for making insults, what happens to the people that made comments like these directed at me?

Amy Winehouse callled...she wants her crack pipe back.

You like to lie, as you are patholgoically incapabale of separating your incorrect interpretations from reality.

This all comes down to an inferioroty complex because you were a Mac user in a world of PCs. (How sad is that...)

Take the lips off the crack pipe...you obviously have not done even one bit of real research.

I guess you aren't just on crack, but meth and special-k too.

I was going to respond point by point, but it doens't matter. You just make up the fact to suit yourself (and if you even read, I gave you laptop prediction regardless of size.)

you have no fargin idea what you are talking about.

Archie is back and still spouting nonsense

You really, really should lay off the Kool Aid.

As long as you want to come to class, I will continue to school you accordingly.

I've been waiting for you to come back so I could laugh at you!

the best argument against crystal meth use that I've ever seen.

Archie, considering your problem, its not surprising that you managed to read only half of RIMM's press release.

It goes on and on and on.

I am an ***** and have no idea what I am talking about,
    I have "Downs Syndrome",
    I am "unable to function in real life",
    I am "uninformed",
    I am a "Liar",
    I "Go off topic and don't admit that I lie",
    I "double lie",
    I "have problems beyond lying",
    I "misrepresent the point",
    I state nothing but "logical fallacies" (don't even know what that means)
    I am "completely wrong in every statement" that I make,
    I have no regard for the law and will be prosecuted,

That last one in particular makes me laugh.
    03-11-2008 11:11 PM
    i gotta agree with you...that last one is quite funny.

hope all is well with the bunch of you

ps: WHY CAN'T WE DELETE MORE THAN ONE MAIL MESSAGE AT A TIME though? how many updates have we seen and still nothing.....ugh!!!
    03-12-2008 07:22 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD