Migrating from Treo 680

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
problem with a web-based solution is you have to trust someone else with your data (unless you run your own webserver, which is how i got around it).

Wish the iphone at least had password-protected notes.

chadman

TiPb Blog and Forum Staff
Sep 7, 2006
twitter.com
That is true, but my problem is that I am not savvy enough to host my own server. I agree, Apple should haves an application that syncs with the Apple desktop... I mean the BlackBerry even has one....

Mike Overbo

TC / Phone Different
Aug 21, 2006
phonedifferent.com
Chadman,

You could run a webserver from the iPhone, and have it always be available at 127.0.0.1. There are also text editors in which you could store passwords, but they would not be as secure as SplashID -- they wouldn't be encrypted.

There are some decent implementations out there of web passwords, however -- for example, jkPassword.com supposedly just stores the encrypted values, not the actual passwords themselves.

Also, Agile Web Solutions is supposedly coming out with a web-based version of their 1passwd product.

chadman

Sep 7, 2006
twitter.com
Thanks Mike! This is the type of info I was looking for. I had done extensive Goggle searches with no results. Thanks for providing me with a great starting point!

AnteL0pe

Jul 21, 2005
Visit site
i wouldnt go hosting this kind of info anywhere because it could still be intercepted in transit unless youre over 443. and you would also have to trust the host who was storing the data. you can always get one of these, though you'll need a computer to access it.

I'm holding out hope that Apple will port keychain over to the iPhone.

chadman

Sep 7, 2006
twitter.com
I looked at the jkPassword. Although it is a sound attempt, it is just not powerful enough for my needs.

I am curious: how do you get a web server running on your iPhone? I have only found hacks for this.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73