Recommended: scientific calc

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
http://belfry.scicalc.com

Very nicely done (so now I won't have to write it myself :)

Supports both algebraic and RPN modes, and has numerous functions. A lot of nice details, such as shadowed text to give it a truly 3-D feel.

Also supports programmer's mode (binary, hex, and octal), etc.

My only beef is that in RPN mode the stack seems to clear sometimes when I don't expect it to. (for example: 4 enter 4 enter + +. I expect the answer to stay on the stack now when I enter new numbers. simple to solve with an enter, of course).

oxoxtro600

Oct 12, 2003
Visit site
Scientic calculator

I can not launch the referenced web site on my iphone. A scientific calculator is one of the software programs that I miss from my Treo 650. I hope I can get it to work. Is the URL correct?
Thanks

gminette

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
My only beef is that in RPN mode the stack seems to clear sometimes when I don't expect it to. (for example: 4 enter 4 enter + +. I expect the answer to stay on the stack now when I enter new numbers. simple to solve with an enter, of course).

Whoops. Sorry about that. :D I've fixed it, so you may want to reload your bookmarklet.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Dude, you rock. At last a real and always available calculator that doesn't make me want to vomit.

My only other suggestion is to have it set a cookie and remember the last mode (particularly if it's RPN - while people might switch back and forth between "base" and "something else," most people who use RPN aren't going to want to start up in algebraic mode.)

gminette

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
Actually, if you use the web-based version of Belfry SciCalc, it does remember RPN mode between sessions. Unfortunately, bookmarklets cannot seem to make use of cookies like that. I haven't thought of a workaround, yet.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Hmm. You are setting/retrieving the cookie through javascript? I guess as a bookmarklet it wouldn't have domain with which to associate the cookie. Maybe setting an explicit cookie path would work. I'll try screwing around with it tonight.

gminette

Aug 14, 2007
Visit site
It seems to (in desktop Safari2, at least) store the bookmarks as belonging to domain localhost.local.
It never seems to allow reading of the cookies for that domain, though.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
yes, and while it's much better than the old one, it's still not a "scientific" calculator the way most people think of it. (For example - no indication of RPN support, programmer's calculations, etc.)

I assume there will be a billion new calculators on the appstore. I'll be writing one myself (RPN) if I don't see any I like; one of the easiest programs to write.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
When are you ever really going to need a scientific calculator. I mean I can see the benefits of it, but I don't think I will substitute a good ole TI for the iPhone. I'm happy Apple added this functionality, but I don't think it will be heavily used.

BrotherNov

Jul 15, 2008
Visit site
What about Financial?

I'd really like to see a financial calculator. I've always (on both Palm OS and WM) found excellent programs that emulate the industry standby HP 12C financial calculator. My guess is that because the origonal iphone didn't support MS exchange, it wasn't widely used in business circles, so there wasn't much demand for financial calculators. Hopefully that will change soon.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal