When I purchase my iPhones, I usually skip a generation... I started with the 4, then the 5s, then the 6s and now my 8 Plus. So I'm not quite feeling the pinch that those are who purchase the latest and greatest every year. I also trade my iPhone's in the help with the price.

That said, I did wince at the higher prices this year. I do realize the costs involved in developing and manufacturing a new model, and I realize that Apple is a business and needs to make a profit. So I think between $800-$1100 give or take a bit is what I'd be comfortable with. As I said in another thread, I wonder if the higher prices this year, and the less than desired amount of sales, might to the consumer's benefit next year! Time will tell.
    libra89 likes this.
    02-04-2019 10:08 AM
    Apple needs to have a low cost (say $400 - 500) model in their lineup to appeal to customers who cannot afford or refuse to pay the $900 and up that the flagship phones cost. If they are pivoting to be a services company, they no longer need or should have the margins they are used to on hardware. Instead, about 20% profit margin on hardware should be sufficient. They want to have numbers of devices out there much more than profit per phone.
    02-04-2019 11:48 AM
    One factor Tim Cook and others at Apple cite as a reason for the price is the extensive service and courses they provide at Apple stores. I live 250 miles from the nearest Apple store. If they want to provide all the services at Apple stores, they should either charge the many people like me less (considerably less) since we cannot use an Apple store regularly, or provide much more through the Internet for distant customers. I suspect there are many actual and potential customers like me who live too far away to use an Apple store.
    02-04-2019 11:51 AM
    Apple needs to have a low cost (say $400 - 500) model in their lineup to appeal to customers who cannot afford or refuse to pay the $900 and up that the flagship phones cost. ...
    I’m not sure if I agree because when the iPhone 5C came along, it was viewed as cheap and didn’t fit the image associated with Apple and quality. Until people actually had the opportunity to see the iPhone XR in person, many viewed it as a cheap iPhone, but that has since waned.

In my opinion, “low cost” and Apple do not go hand in hand and I think people in general will not be receptive to what they consider to be below Apple standards, whether real or imagined.
    Last edited by Just_Me_D; 02-04-2019 at 03:58 PM.
    02-04-2019 03:47 PM
    Apple needs to have a low cost (say $400 - 500) model in their lineup to appeal to customers who cannot afford or refuse to pay the $900 and up that the flagship phones cost. If they are pivoting to be a services company, they no longer need or should have the margins they are used to on hardware. Instead, about 20% profit margin on hardware should be sufficient. They want to have numbers of devices out there much more than profit per phone.
    But how are they going to become the first company worth a bazillion dollars without higher profit margins?
    02-04-2019 03:52 PM
    I’m not sure if I agree because when the iPhone 5C came along, it was viewed as cheap and didn’t fit the image associated with Apple and quality. Until people actually had the opportunity to see the iPhone XR in person, many viewed it as a cheap iPhone, but that has since waned.

In my opinion, “low cost” and Apple do not go hand in hand and I think people in general will not be receptive to what they consider to be below Apple standards, whether real or imagined.
    How will that affect those that want to pay for a flagship?
    02-04-2019 04:00 PM
    How will that affect those that want to pay for a flagship?
    They’d simply do what they’ve been doing - saving up toward it or get it on a payment plan via their wireless carrier or via Apple.
    02-04-2019 04:08 PM
    They’d simply do what they’ve been doing - saving up toward it or get it on a payment plan via their wireless carrier or via Apple.
    Correct.
    But having a flagship and a cheaper model doesn’t tarnish the brand, does it?
    02-04-2019 04:09 PM
    Correct.
    But having a flagship and a cheaper model doesn’t tarnish the brand, does it?
    Tarnish? No, I don’t think so, but I do think that people, at least here in the States, wouldn’t be all that receptive because of Apple’s established image and higher pricing.
    02-04-2019 04:13 PM
    $750-800 seems fair.
    Just_Me_D, TgeekB, libra89 and 1 others like this.
    02-04-2019 04:27 PM
    Tarnish? No, I don’t think so, but I do think that people, at least here in the States, wouldn’t be all that receptive because of Apple’s established image and higher pricing.
    I guess that could be true. People’s perception often lead them more than common sense. Apple certainly has built their brand image and it has served them well.
    I’m more interested, as someone above pointed out, that if they are moving more towards a services buisiness, like Microsoft, if this will change things in their pricing scheme. The more products they get out in the hands of customers, the more services they can sell. All speculation at this point of course.
    02-04-2019 04:30 PM
    Make the biggest phone with the most ridiculous memory spec £999.99, price downward according to lesser spec.
    02-04-2019 05:20 PM
    Not only do I think the starting prices are too high, but also the bump ups for more storage capacity. I have no idea what it costs Apple to add more storage capacity, but guessing it's not much. $150 and $200 just seems too much. Many choose the 64GB model because they either can't afford more storage, or because they don't think it's worth paying that much more for. So they make do with 64GB.
    I think prices should look more like this:
    iPhone XS
    64GB - $849
    256GB - $949
    512GB - $1049

iPhone XS Max
    64GB - $949
    256GB - $1049
    512GB - $1149
    02-05-2019 09:10 AM
    I live 250 miles from the nearest Apple store. I think many people live too far away from any Apple store to be able to use them regularly. I wish Apple did not use the many services provided by the store to help justify their prices. Perhaps, they could reduce the price of a phone for those who live far from an Apple store by $25?
    02-05-2019 01:47 PM
    I live 250 miles from the nearest Apple store. I think many people live too far away from any Apple store to be able to use them regularly. I wish Apple did not use the many services provided by the store to help justify their prices. Perhaps, they could reduce the price of a phone for those who live far from an Apple store by $25?
    Or they could just charge for those services. People who want or need them will be glad to pay, others won’t supplement the cost
    03-31-2019 06:24 PM
    Great topic/thread JustMeD. Without going into total detail I wish Apple next starting price for the Flagship iPhone would be $250 cheaper then where it currently is, but of course that's just wishful thinking/hoping...LOL. I've had similar conversations with multiple friends/associates and basically Apple is pricing themselves out of the smartphone market in our opinions. It is understood that companies/business owners are in business to make money, develop products and grow, but when does it become taking advantage of the consumer with highly overpriced products? Personally I've had a great run with Apple, but I'm not sure I want continue in this race.
    ladyc0524 and TgeekB like this.
    04-01-2019 09:27 AM
    I was thinking around $750 as well.
    04-01-2019 09:55 AM
    For me it depends. If iOS 13 came out with a lot more customization, we lost the notch (or it shrank significantly) and we still got the usual updates (speed, storage, camera, display) I’d say starting at $850-$900 for the “X-class” phone and $650-$700 for the “Xr-class” device. Given the price of other flagships I thank the above-stated pricing would give Apple an edge.
    04-01-2019 10:30 AM
    I say make the product price scalable.

In other words, make the cost of the new iPhone $999. If someone is an Android user and decides to give Apple a try and has no other Apple devices, $999.

However, someone else who may have multiple Apple devices walks into the Apple store, opens their iPhone and goes to settings / Apple ID, and scrolls down to the bottom and shows all the current Apple devices being used, then offer a sizable discount for (1) number of current devices and (2) length of Apple customer. Reward current Apple customers for being Apple customers.

Just my $.02.

But in reality the new devices will start at $5k and people will pay it.
    04-01-2019 11:55 AM
    Great topic/thread JustMeD. Without going into total detail I wish Apple next starting price for the Flagship iPhone would be $250 cheaper then where it currently is, but of course that's just wishful thinking/hoping...LOL. I've had similar conversations with multiple friends/associates and basically Apple is pricing themselves out of the smartphone market in our opinions. It is understood that companies/business owners are in business to make money, develop products and grow, but when does it become taking advantage of the consumer with highly overpriced products? Personally I've had a great run with Apple, but I'm not sure I want continue in this race.
    I totally agree and have decided I will no longer pay their high prices. I was there at the beginning with the very first iPhone (still have it) but they have lost me.
    Just_Me_D and Spencerdl like this.
    04-01-2019 07:02 PM
    Its odd how Apple is lowering prices in certain markets to get customers but in the US we don't get any discounts at all and the trade in values are not so great either. People are keeping their phones longer and while I have typically upgraded every year I am hoping to get the iPhone 11 this fall and keep that for a while. 5G is nice but until they actually build the networks out which will take years and they will major metro first. Plus given Intel's pathetic progress on 5G modems and how their 4G LTE modems are inferior to Qualcomm I am not looking to jump onto a 5G iPhone right away.

5G modems will need to support the 4G LTE specs and the multitude of 5G standards that are coming out. It could take quite a while to get a modem that does what it needs without sucking the battery dead like the first LTE radios did.
    04-08-2019 08:32 PM
    $0.00 for me and whatever price Apple sets it for everyone else.
    Just_Me_D, Spencerdl and Golurk like this.
    04-20-2019 04:12 PM
    $0.00 for me and whatever price Apple sets it for everyone else.
    LOL
    04-22-2019 10:39 PM
    I plan on getting the iPhone 11, XS2, or whatever the heck they call it in a couple of weeks. We're so close that it's almost torture to think that it's so close yet so far away. I have an iPhone 7 Plus so getting this upgrade is going to be AN UPGRADE!

As far as the price is concerned, I'm hoping that Apple learns from their mistake from last year's lower than expected sales numbers and drops the price. If they don't, oh well... it's not going to stop me from buying the iPhone that I want this time around. And yes, I want the iPhone with the oh-so-sexy OLED screen.
    08-07-2019 10:01 AM
    iPhone X1

256GB - $799
    512GB - $1049

iPhone XI Max

256GB - $999
    512GB - $1149
    08-23-2019 08:50 PM
60 123