Touch ID vs FaceID

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I’ve been and am a staunch fan of touch id. That said, I’m beginning to see the merits of FaceID after observing people using it. Like many others, I’m resistant to change. But without charge, things become stagnant. I also realize that Apple hasn’t steered me wrong yet. This doesn’t mean that I’m eager to give up on Touch ID; it just means that I’m feeling more flexible!

Exactly this. Sounds a lot like how I feel as well.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Touch ID is secure. No one’s finger prints are the same. I have never had an issues with Touch ID and I will never use facial recognition. If Apple was smart, they would offer both and let their consumers decide on what they want to use. If the 8+ is my last phone because of this, then that’s fine with me. I am not giving up TOUCH ID. It works perfect for me.

C6TX6

Jun 13, 2014
Visit site
They could always move it to the back. Even incorporate into the Apple logo. ;)
Near bezel-less designs are in.
Ditch the notch though so we can have room for the bar at the top. And bring back signal strength aka persistent field test (signal) mode. Dark (blackout) mode, round robin scrolling of both icons AND dock pages! At that point, there would be no need for jailbreaking which, IMHO, died a while ago since there is no untethered jailbreak in existence with updated iOS.

FaceID or FakeID is NOT secure (enough) at all! It's convenient though.

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
I hated FaceID when I first got my X, but I called apple and the guy said to make sure I uncheck "require attention" when scanning. That helped a lot and now it's much faster because it doesn't require meeting my eyes to unlock (with the feature checked, opening with sunglasses was impossible). I hope the next models or an update makes the FaceID even faster. I'd shell out for that.
There really isn't a saving grace for FaceID with me. I DO NOT want face recognition to open my phone.

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
A while ago I had a Ip8 and couldn't amagine going from fingerprint to face id. Now I have a Max and love facid, it works so great. Of corse it misses some time but it's not often that happens. Now when I got used with face id it feels like my phone doesn't have a lockscreen. It's amazing how good it works

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Initially I was a little reluctant with Face ID, but now I love it and hate that my iPad doesn't have it...LOL

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
face id not always works in night and when i change me beard

Interesting. I just started back wearing my beard and my iPhone Xs Max still recognizes me no matter what light or non light source. May I suggest resetting the FaceID with your current facial features.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I'm still using my 8 Plus and loving it. I'm a huge fan of the touch id, and was very leery of Face ID. However, so many friends are happily using newer phones with Face ID and have very few issues. The only issue I know of is that Face ID isn't so great for twins. My twin nieces can get into each other's phones. They are in high school and very protective about their privacy, especially when their twin could easily get into their phones. I'm sure anyone living with teenagers can understand the potential drama THAT would cause!!!

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm still using my 8 Plus and loving it. I'm a huge fan of the touch id, and was very leery of Face ID. However, so many friends are happily using newer phones with Face ID and have very few issues. The only issue I know of is that Face ID isn't so great for twins. My twin nieces can get into each other's phones. They are in high school and very protective about their privacy, especially when their twin could easily get into their phones. I'm sure anyone living with teenagers can understand the potential drama THAT would cause!!!

I hear you. I was a huge fan of Touch ID since my 5s. I thought it was the best thing since slice bread..LOL, until I started using Face ID on my Max. Now it's more like what's this Touch ID you're referring to...LOL

duckduckgoose

Jun 4, 2014
Visit site
I hear you. I was a huge fan of Touch ID since my 5s. I thought it was the best thing since slice bread..LOL, until I started using Face ID on my Max. Now it's more like what's this Touch ID you're referring to...LOL

Same here! I skipped the X because I thought I loved Touch ID and didn’t even want to try Face ID. Now you couldn’t pay me to go back to Touch ID! My XR has been the best phone I’ve ever bought or used. I work in water quite a bit and touch would always balk about wet or dirty fingers. I have yet to find anything that has thwarted my Face ID unless I was trying not to have it open.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Touch ID is what’s keeping me from using my backup iPhone more than I do. I’m all in on Face ID.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Interestingly enough, I just saw this article on Reddit about future iPhones with Twin Proof Face ID!

kojackjku

May 26, 2016
Visit site
I will keep buying 8's until I cannot anymore. Farce ID is no where near as secure, reliable, and as user friendly as touch id. I cannot unlock a face id phone while it's on it's wireless charger, I cannot easily pay for stuff without sticking my phone up to my face, etc. it's not as user friendly. I work with the public, and see this backward technolgy in use. A customer comes up to me and says, can you match this color, sticks their iphone in their face 3 times before it unlocks. My phone is unlocked before it comes out of my pocket.

montecito79

Oct 12, 2017
Visit site
Huge minus of FR is that I always have to put phone in front of face.
If I listen to music before sleeping in bed and turn of the screen, I have to rise my head to unlock the iphone.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I have been a strong advocate for touch ID. However people that I know who have the Face ID have convinced me that it’s also great. So I am not as leery about Face ID as I used to be. There is a rumor going around that Apple is developing a new form of touch ID. I don’t know whether that’s true or not but it might be available on the iPhones that come out in 2020. It will definitely be interesting to see.

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forwardsmychoice