Touch ID vs FaceID

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
One of the things that prevented me from buying an X is the lack of TouchID. I HATE FaceID, my sister has an X for work, and it cannot even tell the difference between me, her and my mom. We do not look alike enough for that to be the case, and I shouldn't be able to unlock her phone looking nothing like her. (I look like my mom and she looks like my dad.)

I have heard rumblings that due to these kinds of issues (and the articles I read indicating the sensor lumps most Asians into a "this is the right phone owner" bucket) how likely is it that Apple will add TouchID or similar back into the newer models?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
One of the things that prevented me from buying an X is the lack of TouchID. I HATE FaceID, my sister has an X for work, and it cannot even tell the difference between me, her and my mom. We do not look alike enough for that to be the case, and I shouldn't be able to unlock her phone looking nothing like her. (I look like my mom and she looks like my dad.)

I have heard rumblings that due to these kinds of issues (and the articles I read indicating the sensor lumps most Asians into a "this is the right phone owner" bucket) how likely is it that Apple will add TouchID or similar back into the newer models?

Clearly there is something wrong with the FaceID setup of your sister’s iPhone X.

Personally I don’t think TouchID will come back in the high end models of the iPhones.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Even on my 7+ the touch ID doesn't work most of the time because of the callus' on my fingers (bass player) so I just use a pin code.

With that being said, maybe it will return.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I don't have any experience with FaceID, but am wondering if your sister has tried setting it up again? Also, the new iPad has touch id, which was a pleasant surprise, and gave me a glimmer of hope that Apple wasn't done using touch id yet. That said, my best "guess" is that Apple will adopt FaceID in the future, and sadly, touch ID is on the way out.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
My husband is getting an 8 next week through his office. He's unhappy because he's used to the plus phones, and his office is too cheap to get 8 Plus phones. They refuse to support iPhone X because of Face ID. For what it's worth, he will not use Touch ID on his new phone because he doesn't feel it's secure. LOL!

ame

Trusted Member
Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
That's another thing I am curious about--a lot of companies will probably avoid it just because it relies on one person's face to open.

As for my sister's phone:
All three of us went to Apple when we were in the mall after she discovered it, and even after it was totally wiped clean and started fresh, it still does it. The tech said this is more common than is reported, and said "the next update should fix it." Well, it didn't. They replaced her phone as a precaution--still does it. She did not restore from backup.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple is all in on FaceiD, the upcoming phones will have it, the upcoming iPads will have it. The 7,8, SE will keep their TouchID since its already paid for and designed. Apple offers choice for those who want to stay with touch ID and those who don't. So far FaceID works well, on occasion it doesn't open and a retry works. Good part is I can look and swipe up instead of having to touch and press home.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With the exception of something being wrong with the FaceID on that particular device, there is no way that you should be able to unlock someone else phone via FaceID, especially if you’re not a twin. Either your face is registered via that device or FaceID on it is borked somehow.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I was just talking about this yesterday actually. TouchID is fine, but I also realized a lot more misreads with TouchID than I do with FaceID. I play guitar and work with my hands. Dirty, cut-up, blistered, callosed, bleeding fingers is nearly a daily thing for me. At least one of them, and of course freshly washed hands is also an issue. So many times TouchID is major pain and doesn't work properly. Even with my iPad. My Moto G5 Plus has a fingerprint scanner and I have issues with that as well. I have none of these of these issues with FaceID. Using FaceID multiple times a day has really allowed it to learn. My X will unlock even if I have one eye closed. My only issues are odd angles in bed and super bright sunlight. Outside of that my misreads with FaceID are few and far between.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I was just talking about this yesterday actually. TouchID is fine, but I also realized a lot more misreads with TouchID than I do with FaceID. I play guitar and work with my hands. Dirty, cut-up, blistered, callosed, bleeding fingers is nearly a daily thing for me. At least one of them, and of course freshly washed hands is also an issue. So many times TouchID is major pain and doesn't work properly. Even with my iPad. My Moto G5 Plus has a fingerprint scanner and I have issues with that as well. I have none of these of these issues with FaceID. Using FaceID multiple times a day has really allowed it to learn. My X will unlock even if I have one eye closed. My only issues are odd angles in bed and super bright sunlight. Outside of that my misreads with FaceID are few and far between.

Same here. As long as the phone detects my face, FaceID works every time. I don't have to worry about oils, grease or dirt preventing me from unlocking the device or paying for something via Pay.

Last edited:

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Face ID is far better than Touch. You don’t have to physically do anything and it’s very accurate for me. My younger brother looks just like me and he can’t unlock my X. I use FaceID for any app that allows it because it’s so simple. Just by using my device it works. No fuss or effort

Sherry_B

Jan 15, 2016
Visit site
While the Home button may be gone, there's nothing to say that they'll never have fingerprint id under the glass. If not, then there are other alternatives like Ubuntu Touch and others I cannot recall off the top of my head.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
how likely is it that Apple will add TouchID or similar back into the newer models?

I highly doubt they'll add Touch ID to the highest-end model. Maybe on the lower tiers. But that's a big maybe.

I'm with you on the Face ID hate. Touch ID is superior to Face ID for me.

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I hated FaceID when I first got my X, but I called apple and the guy said to make sure I uncheck "require attention" when scanning. That helped a lot and now it's much faster because it doesn't require meeting my eyes to unlock (with the feature checked, opening with sunglasses was impossible). I hope the next models or an update makes the FaceID even faster. I'd shell out for that.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
FaceID has its quirks, and so did TouchID when it launched. We will likely see an update in this years phones to make it even better and the software update to allow landscape recognition will be welcome.

My new work phone (work issued) is an S8, I set the facial recognition,PIN and fingerprint, the facial never seems to unlock, the fingerprint sensor is in a bad location, Google had the good sense of placing it in the middle of the phone and not next to the camera like Samsung did. Poor location, awkward use, but muscle memory has it down after a few days.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I’ve been and am a staunch fan of touch id. That said, I’m beginning to see the merits of FaceID after observing people using it. Like many others, I’m resistant to change. But without charge, things become stagnant. I also realize that Apple hasn’t steered me wrong yet. This doesn’t mean that I’m eager to give up on Touch ID; it just means that I’m feeling more flexible!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Modernormal