Do you think Apple will ditch the home button completely next year?

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
If the most recent rumors are true the 6.1" LCD version will get less enhanced features, single lens camera, no Force Touch, less RAM, but that part I don't think will be as critcal since the X has 3GB RAM. They seem intent on pushing FaceID forward based on what we have heard so far and that would indicated 6S, 7 and 8 series would be the last touchiD versions and will fade out slowly over time. There will always be those who dont' want faceID.

The 5.8" X is a good size and depending on how the rumored 6.5" X Plus is I may opt for it. This time around though I won't buy on launch unless they offer a SIM Free version on launch day otherwise I will just ride it out a few months.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
The home button is very likely to be gone on any phone they launch next fall. Even on the lower end big screen phones, the big chin and forehead need to go which means no home button. Face ID is the future for Apple.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I like the home button so I hope not. I did read on Appy Geek yesterday that they might still try to integrate the hidden home button under the glass (because they have had more time to perfect that task) and then you would have a choice you can toggle Home Button off or use gestures. I would like the choice and I would still use the home button.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
I like the home button so I hope not. I did read on Appy Geek yesterday that they might still try to integrate the hidden home button under the glass (because they have had more time to perfect that task) and then you would have a choice you can toggle Home Button off or use gestures. I would like the choice and I would still use the home button.

A home button or a fingerprint reader under the glass would be AWESOME.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
A home button or a fingerprint reader under the glass would be AWESOME.

I’ve read that the one phone that has an under-glass fp reader, the Vivo X20 Plus UD, limits how thick a screen protector can be. I know if I couldn’t use a tempered glass sp I’d be really bummed.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
I’ve read that the one phone that has an under-glass fp reader, the Vivo X20 Plus UD, limits how thick a screen protector can be. I know if I couldn’t use a tempered glass sp I’d be really bummed.

That’s Vivo. Apple would make it right.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
After the X, any new phone still offering the big forehead and chin is out of date and spec with the forward movement of Apple phones

fredriks

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I really like the home button on my 8 plus. Maybe I'm old but I want it to stay on the front, if it's a button or under the display doesn't matter. The only thing that's important to me is that it's in the front display. I have my phone laying on a desk ore sitting in a car holder in my car and want easy access to unlock it

toneytone

Apr 13, 2014
Visit site
I really like the home button on my 8 plus. Maybe I'm old but I want it to stay on the front, if it's a button or under the display doesn't matter. The only thing that's important to me is that it's in the front display. I have my phone laying on a desk ore sitting in a car holder in my car and want easy access to unlock it

This.

SprSynJn

Jun 27, 2013
Visit site
No. Not next year anyway. If they do, it’ll be imbedded in the screen like those Vivo phones. I don’t think they’d just drop such a secure function.

TylerLV76

Dec 23, 2017
Visit site
I don’t think they’d just drop such a secure function.

They already have dropped it, on the X.

It will remain on the 7 and 8 series until they drop them from the lineup but future models wont have it most likely since its proven to be unnecessary on the X. They could return it by placing it in the screen but something tells me Apple wont have that feature ready this year if they ever bother bringing it back.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Apple appears to be all in on FaceID and since no other company is able to compete with that (yet) and will likely take a few year to catch up they will keep that moving forward. Samsung however is rumored to be combining retina and facial recognition but not sure if that is going to be as efficient or solid.

As mentionied, I will be looking for the 6.5" X Plus if it arrives, the current X is good size wise but I do prefer the overall larger screen.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73