Which ONE is MORE important to you? - the device or iOS?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We are somewhere around 90 days away from WWDC 2019 and Apple’s preview of the next iOS version. Each year, I look forward to installing the new iOS beta build probably more so than getting a new iPhone. Yet, it prompted me to ask the thread question - Which ONE is MORE important to “you” - the iPhone itself or iOS? Don’t wuss out and choose both. Pick one!....

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
Gosh, that's a tough question. Initially, I would have thought it would be the iPhone... that's what attracted me. The iPhone is like a gorgeous cover of a book... and as we all know, you should never judge a book by its cover... it's what's inside that matters. So my answer would have to be iOS... because without iOS, what would the iPhone be?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Gosh, that's a tough question. Initially, I would have thought it would be the iPhone... that's what attracted me. The iPhone is like a gorgeous cover of a book... and as we all know, you should never judge a book by its cover... it's what's inside that matters. So my answer would have to be iOS... because without iOS, what would the iPhone be?

Outstanding!...and I’m in full agreement with you...

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

I TOTALLY agree with this entire post.
Enough said...LOL

vimagreg

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
For me it need to be iOS, since more often than not I get myself seriously temptated by the far more interesting and diverse Android offerings. What still keep me as an iPhone user is the iOS and the privacy it provides me (or, at least, Apple swear that it provides me )

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
The thing with the iPhone is that it's such a symbiotic relationship between software and the hardware. For example, we don't get FaceID without the hardware necessary to power it.

So I guess if I HAD to pick one. It would be the hardware. The hardware is what powers the software. Without great hardware, we don't get the features we enjoy on a daily. So my choice would have to be the hardware. Great hardware is what gave us FaceID, an amazing camera (in partnership with strong image processing via software) and a gorgeous display.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
This question reminds me of the iconic question: "Which came first, the chicken or the egg"? I completely understand the response posted by @Quis89!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
At this point, it's more about the OS. The phones themselves are fine, unless you're looking for a foldable. I'm happy with my 6s Plus as it is. But would like more from the OS, even though I like most of iOS 12. Rumor says the 6s Plus won't get iOS 13. If true, then the model becomes more important for those of us with an older phone below the 7. There's several ways to answer your question. For now, the OS is more important to me. But that may change some with bad news at WWDC. Ask us questions that aren't so complicated to answer.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

So I guess if I HAD to pick one. It would be the hardware. The hardware is what powers the software. Without great hardware, we don't get the features we enjoy on a daily. So my choice would have to be the hardware. Great hardware is what gave us FaceID, an amazing camera (in partnership with strong image processing via software) and a gorgeous display.

For me, I think it is the OS that powers the hardware....

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
iOS for me, without question. I love how no matter what hardware an iOS user has, I can always get them right where they need to be due to the software being identical across the board.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I believe without software, the hardware is merely dead weight. Think about it, a fancy powerful graphics card (8GB, 1070 or 2070) it can do nothing without the software ;)

But think about about how much more the software can do when it's not hindered by poor hardware. You can only do with the software what the hardware allows.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
@Just_Me_D you're doing that thing again, asking brilliant questions!

For me personally, I would like a brilliant OS. Case in point, I used to use BlackBerry devices, and it was mainly for the OS (and of course BlackBerry Messenger - before it became BBM). But, as media and social media became more prevalent, I wanted to partake. But, BlackBerry's OS made that a little difficult. Queue Apple and the iPhone/iOS.

Now, I will ask this (rhetorical, since no one here can officially answer), when will Apple allow iOS users to place icons ANYWHERE on the iPhone (& iPad) screen? Why is still still a thing, still a question? Ugh

So, here we are...

When hel* freezes over.
Apple runs the show. If you want choice it is the wrong OS to be on.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

This^. This is why I stay with Apple.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox