What should the starting price be for the next flagship iPhone?

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site
Great topic/thread JustMeD. Without going into total detail I wish Apple next starting price for the Flagship iPhone would be $250 cheaper then where it currently is, but of course that's just wishful thinking/hoping...LOL. I've had similar conversations with multiple friends/associates and basically Apple is pricing themselves out of the smartphone market in our opinions. It is understood that companies/business owners are in business to make money, develop products and grow, but when does it become taking advantage of the consumer with highly overpriced products? Personally I've had a great run with Apple, but I'm not sure I want continue in this race.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
For me it depends. If iOS 13 came out with a lot more customization, we lost the notch (or it shrank significantly) and we still got the usual updates (speed, storage, camera, display) I’d say starting at $850-$900 for the “X-class” phone and $650-$700 for the “Xr-class” device. Given the price of other flagships I thank the above-stated pricing would give Apple an edge.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I say make the product price scalable.

In other words, make the cost of the new iPhone $999. If someone is an Android user and decides to give Apple a try and has no other Apple devices, $999.

However, someone else who may have multiple Apple devices walks into the Apple store, opens their iPhone and goes to settings / Apple ID, and scrolls down to the bottom and shows all the current Apple devices being used, then offer a sizable discount for (1) number of current devices and (2) length of Apple customer. Reward current Apple customers for being Apple customers.

Just my $.02.

But in reality the new devices will start at $5k and people will pay it.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Great topic/thread JustMeD. Without going into total detail I wish Apple next starting price for the Flagship iPhone would be $250 cheaper then where it currently is, but of course that's just wishful thinking/hoping...LOL. I've had similar conversations with multiple friends/associates and basically Apple is pricing themselves out of the smartphone market in our opinions. It is understood that companies/business owners are in business to make money, develop products and grow, but when does it become taking advantage of the consumer with highly overpriced products? Personally I've had a great run with Apple, but I'm not sure I want continue in this race.

I totally agree and have decided I will no longer pay their high prices. I was there at the beginning with the very first iPhone (still have it) but they have lost me.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Its odd how Apple is lowering prices in certain markets to get customers but in the US we don't get any discounts at all and the trade in values are not so great either. People are keeping their phones longer and while I have typically upgraded every year I am hoping to get the iPhone 11 this fall and keep that for a while. 5G is nice but until they actually build the networks out which will take years and they will major metro first. Plus given Intel's pathetic progress on 5G modems and how their 4G LTE modems are inferior to Qualcomm I am not looking to jump onto a 5G iPhone right away.

5G modems will need to support the 4G LTE specs and the multitude of 5G standards that are coming out. It could take quite a while to get a modem that does what it needs without sucking the battery dead like the first LTE radios did.

trparky

Feb 20, 2015
Visit site
I plan on getting the iPhone 11, XS2, or whatever the heck they call it in a couple of weeks. We're so close that it's almost torture to think that it's so close yet so far away. I have an iPhone 7 Plus so getting this upgrade is going to be AN UPGRADE!

As far as the price is concerned, I'm hoping that Apple learns from their mistake from last year's lower than expected sales numbers and drops the price. If they don't, oh well... it's not going to stop me from buying the iPhone that I want this time around. And yes, I want the iPhone with the oh-so-sexy OLED screen.

Al Paca

Aug 10, 2018
Visit site
I answered in another thread but thing the new XR model will be $100 more due to camera upgrades simply cause Apple can get it from customers if they price the 11 and 11 Max right.

11R: $849
11: $1049
11Max: 1149

Now you’ve got an extra $100 for R, XS model up $50, and Max up $50 and people will pay because the R will still be $200 or $300 less than the higher end while offering a great device. I thing the R is their sweet spot where they can make the most bang for their buck in my opinion.

FFR

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I don’t think apple will raise or lower prices this year, they should be similar to last year.

Real question is whether apple will discontinue the iPhone XS, like they did with the x the previous year.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
All I know is I will never buy a new iPhone at these prices again. I will continue to, when I need an upgrade, purchase one that is a year old or so at a much more reasonable price. It will still meet my needs and have many more OS and security updates left.

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
The sticker shock on new iPhones always startles me... initially. But then I remember that I can trade in my device which saves me quite a bit of money.

spiff_p239

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I answered in another thread but thing the new XR model will be $100 more due to camera upgrades simply cause Apple can get it from customers if they price the 11 and 11 Max right.

Now you’ve got an extra $100 for R, XS model up $50, and Max up $50 and people will pay because the R will still be $200 or $300 less than the higher end while offering a great device. I thing the R is their sweet spot where they can make the most bang for their buck in my opinion.

If they do something like this, I may give the current XR a second chance if I could buy one for $650 after this year's phones are released. I don't take many pictures so the camera upgrades don't mean much to me at all. I'd love to see each model drop $100 in price.

Golurk

May 20, 2019
Visit site

That estimate seems pretty accurate. But I don’t think (if the leaks are anything to go by) the 11R will get an OLED display this year....only next year. It better get a dual camera and a higher-res screen though.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
It really doesn't matter what the price is, people will still pay it.

I think Apple’s days of complete price control are numbered. We saw it with iPhone XS and XS Max. They both came in well below expectations while the cheaper XR sold much better than expected. Furthermore, users are upgrading less frequently than they used to. I’ve owned every iPhone since iPhone 4 but, unless Apple blows me away next week, I’m not likely to budge this year. I just can’t justify a $1,250 (assuming Apple doesn’t raise prices again this year) investment every year for an incremental upgrade that doesn’t do a whole lot my existing phone can’t do.
At this point Apple needs to focus on retaining users as revenue from services is their biggest opportunity and continues to grow in percentage of total revenue.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2