5 Months and Counting

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
We are arguably 5 months away from Apple Unveiling the next flagship iPhone model(s). With that being said, at what point does a person who's currently considering buying one of the current flagship devices decide that he or she should wait? 5 months away? 90 days away? What do you think?

Last edited:

phreddyl

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I’m just excited that it’s only 5 months. Sounds like a short amount of time. I would tell people anything less than 6 months away to wait unless you absolutely need a new one

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Some just can't wait... But it's different for most when cost is a factor

Understood, but if cost wan't a factor, what do you consider the point in which a prospective iPhone buyer should wait for the next flagship?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I’m just excited that it’s only 5 months. Sounds like a short amount of time. I would tell people anything less than 6 months away to wait unless you absolutely need a new one

Well stated....:cool:....Thank you!

tr1ad

Trusted Member
Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
It depends on what's coming to the table... Of course it's mostly rumours, but ideally something the new flagship carries that current gen doesn't; case in point the X vs the 8+.
Obviously the X carried with it oled etc ... The release of the 8 series and the X would be worth it.

5 months might be a long wait, but the features/hardware can determine if it's worth waiting..

(IMHO of course)

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
If rumors are to be believed the next model might only be a slight upgrade, but it is also supposed to be cheaper, so if you don't need a phone now, wait and get the new model that will cost you less. Or buy a used one now from someone who tried it and didn't like it (that is what I would and did do).

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
At this point in the calendar year, I think it makes sense to try and hang in there and wait and see what Apple's going to be offering in this year's "batch". Then you can make and educated decision.

If you can't wait, then I'd go with the most recent models out there, because they'll be around longer than earlier models. Of course, I understand that cost may be a factor, and if it is, then the buyer will have to obviously take that into consideration.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
We are in this dilemma right now my GFs 7+ is having battery issues and I was gonna get her an 8+ instead of fixing the issue but we decided to have her carry a charger with her and wait for the new offering.

If Apple for some reason decides to get rid of the home button then I will get the 8+ at a discount. She’s tech illiterate in a way so I don’t want to overload her with Anything new.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
It's really a tough decision. But when we are within 6 months, I'd probably recommend waiting. At least that way you can make an informed decision on if the next iPhone is for you. You'd hate to make a purchase only for a new model to release in a few months and now you're regretting it. The nice thing is these days many carriers offer some sort of annual upgrade option so you'd technically be able to upgrade within the next 6 months depending on when you made your purchase. But with the rapid pace phones release these days, it's really tough. Sometimes I'm not sure how much I like the annual release schedule. We purchase devices valued at almost $1000 only to use them for one year, lol. I have a problem.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Cost is a factor, some users just need a new phone and don't care about the latest so they get whats available today or buy last years version to save a bit. Since the current X is to be discontinued and a new "cheaper" X and others will be launched (rumors) then I worry more about 10 anniversary X taking a hit on resale value if its replacement comes out cheaper unless they only offer the new X in say 128GB and no 256GB.

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
It's really a tough decision. We purchase devices valued at almost $1000 only to use them for one year, lol. I have a problem.

True

It’s kind of funny if you spend a Grand on a Quality TV your expecting a good Ten Years of great viewing on average but when a new smartphone comes out your device feels dated.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
True

It’s kind of funny if you spend a Grand on a Quality TV your expecting a good Ten Years of great viewing on average but when a new smartphone comes out your device feels dated.

Yeah, but we make the decision to upgrade annually out of a desire to have the latest device. We can choose to spend a grand on a device and then enjoy it for multiple years if we wanted to....

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
There is no way I could get a way with upgrading every year! LOL! Of course, if I ever win the lottery, then that's no issue! It's 2 - 2.5 years for me. And that's still pretty fast! :D

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
The only feature that will make me even consider the next device is if it's compatible with Tmobile's 600mhz network.

DarlaMack

Apple TV Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I honestly think that this will be the first year that I actually hold out on getting a new device. Out of the rumors the only thing that struck my attention was the product (RED) iPhone X. Having upgraded 2 boys to an 8+ and myself to an X I think I can safely say I'll pass on whatever next for a year.... Lol I'm hoping to stick to that theory :p

ksassy

Mar 9, 2017
Visit site
I say wait unless you absolutely need a new phone or your current one won't hold on. For me I decided to skip my annual carrier upgrade and wait to see the new offerings from Apple. I think I'll make a better decision about my true needs at that point.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
If rumors are to be believed the next model might only be a slight upgrade, but it is also supposed to be cheaper, so if you don't need a phone now, wait and get the new model that will cost you less. Or buy a used one now from someone who tried it and didn't like it (that is what I would and did do).

Rumors also say there will be a Plus version of the X. That alone would be enough for many to upgrade.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
IF the current rumors are true about the 6.1" LCD version starting at $550 (doubt it) then that would push more users towards that model than the Xs or X Plus or whatever they call it in the fall. I personally want the larger screen the current X aspect ratio is not really that enjoyable to me compared to the 7 Plus I had and at this point I had considered getting an 8Plus an waiting for the new X Plus in the fall but I will just wait and see.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner