Do you think Apple will ditch the home button completely next year?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok, for speculation or for personal reasons, do you think Apple will ditch the home button completely next year? Do you want them to? I personally hope they do, I would also like to see improved gestures and more of them.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Home button or no?

If the iPhone X is the future of iPhone as stated by Apple then I suspect there will not be a home button on the next years iPhone models....Of course, I don’t have any proof to back my opinion.

calebt

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site

49f10c1712ec5468b8f2fa4475015f1a.jpg
Saw this over at MacRumors

kataran

Ambassador
Mar 11, 2013
Visit site

They will keep the old faithful design I believe because they could have ditched the i8 and i8 plus for multiple size Xes this year but they didn’t

Many diehard uses will not go for the homeless X

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site

Personally, I hope they keep it. But then I can also see the merits of moving forward and learning new technology. Maybe Apple has started a new trend and will be developing devices with different capabilities such as home button‘s versus gestures, etc.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site

I read they are coming out with a mid level metal backed iPhone next year but I can’t recall if it will keep the home button or not. I believe the other couple of new models next year will be facial recognition and I prefer the home button. I hate navigating with gestures.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site

It would seem they have FaceiD worked out, production up to snuff and can get the yield they need to roll this out to all devices. As with all technology costs to produce drop over time so by next years phone they will likely able to put it in all models and offer an LCD iPhone for the lower end offering.

If the rumors of display size are true and people can get a 6.1" with LCD they may opt for that over the 5.8 OLED.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

It would seem they have FaceiD worked out, production up to snuff and can get the yield they need to roll this out to all devices. As with all technology costs to produce drop over time so by next years phone they will likely able to put it in all models and offer an LCD iPhone for the lower end offering.

If the rumors of display size are true and people can get a 6.1" with LCD they may opt for that over the 5.8 OLED.

Fair enough but there is actual code for a 6.5” OLED.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site

The ‘actual code’ part got me. ‘Actual code’? ...from where??

Also, while OLED can be nice the Apple OLEDs don’t seem to have that magical ‘pop’ that the Samsung phones have. In fact they don’t look all that better than Apple’s other LCDs, outside of deeper blacks. Of course, I can understand why Sammy would want their best displays to go in their own handsets.

Perhaps I’m mistaken, perhaps my tg screen protectors are robbing the display of some of their vibrancy.

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

There are rumors of a 6.5” OLED X Plus.

The ‘actual code’ part got me. ‘Actual code’? ...from where??

Yes, actual code. From the leaked HomePod firmware in late summer. That same code showed us exactly what the X was going to be. There is code and device sprites for a 6.5” version in the HomePod firmware as well.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Okeydoke. However, while the idea of an X-style 6.5”-displayed phone sounds fantastic the idea of an even more expensive iPhone sounds disgusting.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

Yes, actual code. From the leaked HomePod firmware in late summer. That same code showed us exactly what the X was going to be. There is code and device sprites for a 6.5” version in the HomePod firmware as well.

That's what I might want, except I'm probably not willing to dish out $1,199 or so for a 64 gb model. We'll see. I may just get a reduced price 8 Plus.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
As much as I like iMessage, the Note 8 is an incredible phone. The only things I don't care for on it is it's lack of iMessage and it's curved screen that makes getting good screen protectors challenging.

Should Apple's 256GB flagship cost more than $1,200 next year I'll have to abstain. I don't love iMessage quite that much.

Actually, come to think of it. I'd rather have a cheaper 6.1" X-styled LCD than a more expensive 6.5" OLED any day. I like LCDs just fine and the X's OLED doesn't seem as good as Samsung phone's OLEDs. The way Samsung's phones screens 'pop' with vibrancy is kinda amazing.

TripleOne

Trusted Member
Oct 4, 2014
Visit site
As much as I like iMessage, the Note 8 is an incredible phone. The only things I don't care for on it is it's lack of iMessage and it's curved screen that makes getting good screen protectors challenging.

Should Apple's 256GB flagship cost more than $1,200 next year I'll have to abstain. I don't love iMessage quite that much.

Actually, come to think of it. I'd rather have a cheaper 6.1" X-styled LCD than a more expensive 6.5" OLED any day. I like LCDs just fine and the X's OLED doesn't seem as good as Samsung phone's OLEDs. The way Samsung's phones screens 'pop' with vibrancy is kinda amazing.

The LCDs on the latest iPhones are pretty good IMO, and yes, the OLED on the X isn’t as saturated as Samsung’s phones.

You’ll appreciate the OLED when looking at pictures or editing videos, the OLED on Samsung makes some skin tones a bit more tan than they are.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
The LCDs on the latest iPhones are pretty good IMO, and yes, the OLED on the X isn’t as saturated as Samsung’s phones.

You’ll appreciate the OLED when looking at pictures or editing videos, the OLED on Samsung makes some skin tones a bit more tan than they are.

I’m not knocking my iPhone X’s...just trying to keep it all in perspective

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
INTERNET BUNDLE NOW