Do you think Apple will ditch the home button completely next year?

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
That's easy then, just keep using an iPhone 8 or older. No need to buy anything new or upgrade.

I’ve got a seven now and I plan to use it for at least a couple of years or even a few years but now I kind of wish I held out for an eight because I want to go as long as possible with the home button obviously. Realistically the slow down happens after maybe a year and a half so it’s good to have the latest device possible.

Actually I digress I had to get the seven when I did because my 5C was killing me with the slowness

camaroz1985

Trusted Member
Sep 2, 2016
Visit site
Your 7 should last you quite a while, and by the time you NEED to upgrade, the gesture based, button-less OS will be normal. I wouldn't doubt that they would have the gestures on the models with the home button too in future iOS revisions, so you will be able to brush up on it before your beloved button disappears for good.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Latest rumors are confirming that the upcoming fall models (all 3 of them) will get the FaceID camera tech. I don't see Apple doing an about face after hyping up FaceID so much.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Latest rumors are confirming that the upcoming fall models (all 3 of them) will get the FaceID camera tech. I don't see Apple doing an about face after hyping up FaceID so much.

...or after devoting the resources they must have to get it working as well as it already does, let alone their Fall 2nd gen FID devices.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
FaceID does work well, most of the time, some quirks here and there. The big benefit is not having to hold your finger to the button to log in and just look at the display. That said I am considering an 8 plus and waiting to see if they launch a larger X series with FaceID. I just don't like the screen dimensions n this device. If an 8Plus sized device is all screen like the X is then that would be much nicer.

qbnkelt

Mar 17, 2012
Visit site
That's easy then, just keep using an iPhone 8 or older. No need to buy anything new or upgrade.

If it comes to that, then it will be what I do.

I’ve got both the X and the 8 Plus. I’m about to switch my SIM from my main line which is in my X to my 8 Plus.

I prefer the screen size in the 8 Plus. I still hate the notch, and the X just feels too small in my hand. I prefer the overall size of the X.

So if an 8 Plus update will exist with no notch, larger screen, and same overall footprint, I will get that.

I’ll gladly use older tech if the answer is newer tech with a notch and smaller size screen/dimension.

Oh and home button. I don’t mind the chin or the home button. That notch staring at me just IRKS me.

olliegrl

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
I honestly miss the home button. I have the X and I love it but I’d rather have Touch ID than Face ID.

It would be cool if they could find a way to put a digital one on the screen.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure they will completely do away with the home button. Maybe keep one device around with the home button but place their focus on FaceID enabled devices.

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone SE2 will keep the home button and so will the outgoing models they continue to sell like the 6S/7/8's and their plus variants. Then we will get 3 new phones so Apple will go from always offering just 1 phone a year to having 7 models on sale at the same time.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73