Bought a new iPhone 8 yesterday

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
RaybanRJ,
Congrats for your New iPhone 8. I also just want to buy this phone. Can you please elaborate on all the features of this phone?

It has the best features of any of the pre-Xstyle iPhones. Best camera for sure. My wife likes hers. I got her this OtterBox Commuter, along with the OtterBox Alpha Glass screen protector.
a274aa1eec3debe01014518e25262f8a.jpg

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
It has the best features of any of the pre-Xstyle iPhones. Best camera for sure. My wife likes hers. I got her this OtterBox Commuter, along with the OtterBox Alpha Glass screen protector.
a274aa1eec3debe01014518e25262f8a.jpg

Yep I had an OtterBox Commuter but in aqua mint for about a year and a half for my 7, then I got bored with it and gave it to a friend earlier this year who I helped get his first iPhone (from a flip phone) 8, so later today we’re going to trade Back because I have a couple of other cases he wants haha. I’ve got to get that Commuter back, would prefer not to drop 50 bucks on a new one.

With all these thin cases, see-through cases I’ve tried, they’re great but they just don’t have enough screen lip protection and I’ve never felt worried with the OtterBox commuter. It’s just the right thickness without being bulky. That was a big part of wanting an eight because it can use all of the seven cases.

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
RaybanRJ,
Congrats for your New iPhone 8. I also just want to buy this phone. Can you please elaborate on all the features of this phone?

At time of release, it was rumored the iPhone 8 would have the capabilities to save mankind. This was later pushed back for inclusion on iPhone 12 due to some technical issues. Otherwise, my wife and daughter say it’s a great phone.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
So they said IF I DID want to trade the 3 day old 8 in towards an 11 Pro they could do $469. But there is no way I am taking a $150 loss so I am definitely keeping the 8. I was just curious what they would offer.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
Yep I had an OtterBox Commuter but in aqua mint for about a year and a half for my 7, then I got bored with it and gave it to a friend earlier this year who I helped get his first iPhone (from a flip phone) 8, so later today we’re going to trade Back because I have a couple of other cases he wants haha. I’ve got to get that Commuter back, would prefer not to drop 50 bucks on a new one.

With all these thin cases, see-through cases I’ve tried, they’re great but they just don’t have enough screen lip protection and I’ve never felt worried with the OtterBox commuter. It’s just the right thickness without being bulky. That was a big part of wanting an eight because it can use all of the seven cases.

Amazon has the Commuter cases for iPhone 8 from $20 to $30.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Amazon has the Commuter cases for iPhone 8 from $20 to $30.

Well the one I want, the cheapest is $40 Canadian on Amazon.ca Surprisingly the black ones are $49 and that’s the same price as Best Buy here. But I was also at Walmart today and they’re down to $31 for the black one.

I remember just a year ago the black ones were down to $20 on special at Amazon.ca. No idea what would make the price go up to retail prices especially since it’s an older device now

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Bought my first wireless charging pad today, Black Friday special. Been also watching a lot of YouTube videos about how the electromagnetic coil’s create a lot of heat and I noticed there was more heat and how it might possibly have a detrimental effect on the life of the battery.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
Can someone please tell me a good battery alarm app where you can send it to a certain percentage and the phone will tell you the battery is at that level? I bought a Belkin wireless charger and I just don’t want to thing running all night long. An app that has a good alarm and possibly a temperature also but just the alarm would be great. Almost every one that I see in the App Store either has not been updated in at least a year or doesn’t get that great of reviews . Anyone?

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
Can someone please tell me a good battery alarm app where you can send it to a certain percentage and the phone will tell you the battery is at that level? I bought a Belkin wireless charger and I just don’t want to thing running all night long. An app that has a good alarm and possibly a temperature also but just the alarm would be great. Almost every one that I see in the App Store either has not been updated in at least a year or doesn’t get that great of reviews . Anyone?

That or is there phone setting internally? Don’t laugh but I’m still using my XR no differently than I used flip phones 20 years ago.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
That or is there phone setting internally? Don’t laugh but I’m still using my XR no differently than I used flip phones 20 years ago.

Nope there is no setting for that but I wish there was. I went and bought this app for $2 and it doesn’t work. It was one of the top 5 battery alarm apps when I Googled it. I am convinced none of them work, I’ve tried a few in the past and that was the same thing.

87dae8b6f5082a251b23151771cb8ce8.jpg

Chuck Finley69

Trusted Member
Mar 20, 2017
Visit site
Nope there is no setting for that but I wish there was. I went and bought this app for $2 and it doesn’t work. It was one of the top 5 battery alarm apps when I Googled it. I am convinced none of them work, I’ve tried a few in the past and that was the same thing.

87dae8b6f5082a251b23151771cb8ce8.jpg

Well, I guess I’m still not really missing anything. Sorry to hear..

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site

It's normal for a battery to get warm while charging. It doesn't hurt the battery to leave it charging overnight. If it gets really hot (not warm) to the touch while charging, then I wouldn't use that charger.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
It's normal for a battery to get warm while charging. It doesn't hurt the battery to leave it charging overnight. If it gets really hot (not warm) to the touch while charging, then I wouldn't use that charger.

The battery does seem to get warm, or warmer with these electro magnetic coil charging pads. The first charging pad I had was a cheaper one and the phone was actually quite near hot and I just don’t think heat is good for a battery. So then a few days ago I bought the Belkin and I like that Apple actually worked with Belkin to develop these things so if Apple certifies it then I trust it a lot more than some third-party brand. I gave the first pad to a friend and she likes it but her iPhone 8 is already two years old and she doesn’t care if she damages her battery but you know what it’s like when you get a brand new phone.

I’ve been watching a ton of videos and reading about this and even some article an engineer wrote and he says what you said he says you cannot damage it. Other sources mention that your phone will charge to 100 and leaving it overnight it will slow down or trickle charge so basically there is tension and some heat on the battery even when it’s at 100%. Also talked about was that when your battery is at 100% The device might stop the charge for a little while say down to 99 and then back up to 100 so it’s always keeping a force on the battery and long-term that might not be good, in my mind anyway. Many so-called experts are saying Its best to keep the charge between 50% and 85% or thereabouts because even a discharge rate below 50 can degrade the performance of the battery. The problem is one could never go through their entire day charging only to say 70 or 80%. Of course no one will care about these issues and they do not matter if you get a new phone every one or two years but I always try to squeeze three years out of it.

I just think it’s a good idea to unplug it as soon as it’s full and I really wish Apple had a setting like Chuck mentioned because these third-party apps aren’t always so reliable.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The battery does seem to get warm, or warmer with these electro magnetic coil charging pads. The first charging pad I had was a cheaper one and the phone was actually quite near hot and I just don’t think heat is good for a battery. So then a few days ago I bought the Belkin and I like that Apple actually worked with Belkin to develop these things so if Apple certifies it then I trust it a lot more than some third-party brand. I gave the first pad to a friend and she likes it but her iPhone 8 is already two years old and she doesn’t care if she damages her battery but you know what it’s like when you get a brand new phone.

I’ve been watching a ton of videos and reading about this and even some article an engineer wrote and he says what you said he says you cannot damage it. Other sources mention that your phone will charge to 100 and leaving it overnight it will slow down or trickle charge so basically there is tension and some heat on the battery even when it’s at 100%. Also talked about was that when your battery is at 100% The device might stop the charge for a little while say down to 99 and then back up to 100 so it’s always keeping a force on the battery and long-term that might not be good, in my mind anyway. Many so-called experts are saying Its best to keep the charge between 50% and 85% or thereabouts because even a discharge rate below 50 can degrade the performance of the battery. The problem is one could never go through their entire day charging only to say 70 or 80%. Of course no one will care about these issues and they do not matter if you get a new phone every one or two years but I always try to squeeze three years out of it.

I just think it’s a good idea to unplug it as soon as it’s full and I really wish Apple had a setting like Chuck mentioned because these third-party apps aren’t always so reliable.

You'll hear and read all sorts of things about iPhone charging. But in the end, it doesn't matter how you do it. It's not going to hurt your phone or battery. I charge mine to 100%, then when it gets to around 50%, I charge again. I use my phone while charging a lot.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
You'll hear and read all sorts of things about iPhone charging. But in the end, it doesn't matter how you do it. It's not going to hurt your phone or battery. I charge mine to 100%, then when it gets to around 50%, I charge again. I use my phone while charging a lot.

I would love to talk with someone that say, has only used wireless charging pads for at least two years just to find out how their battery is after that time. But yeah I’m sure it’s fine.

RaybanRJ

Oct 13, 2017
Visit site
OK I’m getting some Wi-Fi cut out and I believe it’s because my old Wi-Fi signal where I’m staying is still there even though there is a new router modem right now that I am connected to but I want to remove the old signal that still shows and I do not see the “forget this network “when I click the little “i” symbol beside the old one. I see the “remove this network” for the new wifi signal but not on the old one, what gives!?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
OK I’m getting some Wi-Fi cut out and I believe it’s because my old Wi-Fi signal where I’m staying is still there even though there is a new router modem right now that I am connected to but I want to remove the old signal that still shows and I do not see the “forget this network “when I click the little “i” symbol beside the old one. I see the “remove this network” for the new wifi signal but not on the old one, what gives!?

That’s somewhat odd. Try resetting the network settings.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR